Adding Lock To Mini Fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dxp1113

Reaction score
Hey I am planning to add a lock to kegerator(soon to be). I have a kenmore 4.6 cu ft fridge and wondering if anyone has done this before or has any tips. I want to make it look as sleek as possible, so it looks nice on the outside. Also if anyone has any pictures of an already installed lock on their fridge or kegerator can you please post them. Thanks

Be careful if you are drilling even the smallest of holes in the most out of way place. I pierced a refrigerant line on the very corner of my fridge and ruined it.

well one, my roomates. Tap locks would work but they are like 50 bucks each. Plus i would like to put something on it that would keep it shut, kinda like a hinge.

I purchased a cam lock yesterday online and im going to experiment, ill post some pictures if i do decide to start putting holes in my kegerator, or soon to be.

taplock.jpg

this is what me and my buddy were planning on doing for his keggerator on his porch. we ended up putting it in his garage so we didn't do it, but it's an effective and much cheaper solution. you could probably even get it looking pretty nice.

taplock.jpg

this is what me and my buddy were planning on doing for his keggerator on his porch. we ended up putting it in his garage so we didn't do it, but it's an effective and much cheaper solution. you could probably even get it looking pretty nice.

I like, thanks for the idea

So I watched the Fridge Lock vid.

I'm wondering what happens when the 9 volt battery runs out of juice? This seems like a clever idea but a bad implementation. Great information though! might just have to play with this.

So I watched the Fridge Lock vid.

I'm wondering what happens when the 9 volt battery runs out of juice? This seems like a clever idea but a bad implementation. Great information though! might just have to play with this.

If you listen carefully, he recommends you hook it up to AC using the fridge power supply or your own. He just used a battery for simplicity in making the video.

Be careful if you are drilling even the smallest of holes in the most out of way place. I pierced a refrigerant line on the very corner of my fridge and ruined it.

I wonder how well something like liquid nail would hold. When those things are locked you can't see they don't have screws anyway. Just an idea.

Have you tried telling your roommate that if he keeps stealing your beer you're going to kick his a$$? That worked for me when my roommate's friends were draining my kegs when I wasn't around.

Have you tried telling your roommate that if he keeps stealing your beer you're going to kick his a$$? That worked for me when my roommate's friends were draining my kegs when I wasn't around.

id rather see him suffer with the fact that he cant just pour the tap and if he wants beer he must beg. :D

taplock.jpg

While it looks awesome, what's to stop someone from screwing off the tap handles, pouring, then screwing the tap handles back on?

I've been thinking about adding a lock as well. Mostly to make sure the kids stay out. Since I'm still using cobra taps at the moment, a lock of some kind on the door would do the trick.

Ok, finally did it, i added a lock to my soon to be kegerator. If anyone wants details let me know.
gal.php

ps, can some one help me on posting pictures?

In a situation like this it is not so much about securing the beer, but rather adding a deterrent. If a locking mechanism is placed (even an easily defeated lock) and is disturbed, broken, or otherwise ****ed with.....and evident due to damage, then the goal is accomplished. It is then up to you how you punish your roommates, teenage children, etc.

While it looks awesome, what's to stop someone from screwing off the tap handles, pouring, then screwing the tap handles back on?

if you look closely, you'll notice the bar is at the actual tap, just before the bolt the handle screws into so that it works with or without the handle.

It's sad that your roommate sees how much time, work, and money you put into brewing and still steals your beer. I've never turned anyone down that wanted one and I love to share my homebrew but I would murder a man for taking it without my permission, especially if they drink it without me.

As a side note though, if you want an easy way to know he's not drinking your beer buy a cheap bathroom scale and sit the kegs on top of that. You'll notice if your keg is ten pounds lighter when you come home.

A little while ago SYSTM at "Revision 3" did a project on this very subject. The basic idea was to make a lock for a beer fridge that could be opened automatically, using RFID technology. RFID CONTROLLED FRIDGE

_RFID_Beer_Fridge_2.JPG

Basically, there is an internal mechanical lock on the inside of the fridge. This lock is opened by a servo motor, conected to a small microcontroller, which has an RFID antenna, (based on the Arduino platform) inside the fridge. By swiping an RFID card infront of the fridge, the microcontroller picks up the signal through the antenna, activates the servo and unlocks the fridge door from the inside.

Also, instead of using RFID technology, you can program the microcontroller to use any kind of input, like a keypad, hidden button, or even an RF or IR remote. I actually own an Arduino, like the one used in the video, and it's REALLY neat and fairly easy to program. The RFID is a little expensive, but using another method with the Arduino could cost as little as $50. I'd be happy to help anyone who is interested.

- Jeb

A little while ago SYSTM at "Revision 3" did a project on this very subject. The basic idea was to make a lock for a beer fridge that could be opened automatically, using RFID technology. RFID CONTROLLED FRIDGE

_RFID_Beer_Fridge_2.JPG

Basically, there is an internal mechanical lock on the inside of the fridge. This lock is opened by a servo motor, conected to a small microcontroller, which has an RFID antenna, (based on the Arduino platform) inside the fridge. By swiping an RFID card infront of the fridge, the microcontroller picks up the signal through the antenna, activates the servo and unlocks the fridge door from the inside.

Also, instead of using RFID technology, you can program the microcontroller to use any kind of input, like a keypad, hidden button, or even an RF or IR remote. I actually own an Arduino, like the one used in the video, and it's REALLY neat and fairly easy to program. The RFID is a little expensive, but using another method with the Arduino could cost as little as $50. I'd be happy to help anyone who is interested.

- Jeb

I already put a key lock on mine, but i would be willing to make it a keypad instead. Can you give me some details or schematics or even a few pictures?

Just like everything else done here, you guys are really over-thinking this problem. The cheaper/easier solution is 10' of 1" logging chain and a padlock. :D

HA UNSCREWING TAP HANDLES!!! :eek:nestar: BRILLIANT !!! ►You just saved a ME and maybe a bunch of people ALOT of time !
Thanks !!
So far I have seen no way to lock your tap handles EFFECTIVELY without someone being able to jimmywack their way into your BEER.!
→ EXCEPT by buying those Damm $35+ dollars locks per tap..

ARRRGGHHHHHHHHH !!:mad:

Any other ideas ??

image_916.jpg

Back