French saison 3711 ftw

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DuckiesRevenge

Reaction score
I just made a starter of this yeast for my Belgian dark.... MAN! I think I found a new favorite yeast! Very happy with the aroma and taste. Not to mention this was only the top portion that I poured off of the starter which was only light dme and a little brown sugar!

Do you have a warm place to ferment this? I did my Belgian saison at 85-90 degrees in the heat of the summer. The French variety doesn't need to be quite as warm, but it still likes the heat. I somehow don't imagine it'll get that warm in St. Paul at this time of year!

On a sad note, immediately after I wrote this I went to my keg to pour another glass of this saison and I got only half a glass and it was GONE. This was one of the best I ever made.

Well I have it at 74 right now and I hope the yeast activity bring the temp up a little. I also have a lamp on it to keep it warmer in our 68deg house.

On a sad note, immediately after I wrote this I went to my keg to pour another glass of this saison and I got only half a glass and it was GONE. This was one of the best I ever made.

My condolences to you. My only hope is that will give rise to a new saison.

Well I have it at 74 right now and I hope the yeast activity bring the temp up a little. I also have a lamp on it to keep it warmer in our 68deg house.

74 F is a decent temperature for 3711. No need to get it any higher, it prefers lower temps than most Belgians. I'd be concerned with fusel alcohols with that yeast at higher temperatures.

My experience with that yeast is that the beer tastes way better after 6 to 9 months in the bottle. If it turns out to be a decent beer, try to save a couple of bottles - you will be rewarded for your patience.

I too am sorry for your loss. I can understand how good it probably was.

As far as the aging, I may have to bottle a few from the keg then, my initial plan was to keg the whole thing. Ultimately it needs to make it to December since this one as my Christmas ale. Is there a temp you would suggest not going above?

As far as the aging, I may have to bottle a few from the keg then, my initial plan was to keg the whole thing. Ultimately it needs to make it to December since this one as my Christmas ale. Is there a temp you would suggest not going above?

Try to age a few. I wasn't very impressed with the yeast the first couple of times I tried it. It was good, but not great. Fortunately I have plenty of bottles so that I age some of every batch, and when I tried a couple of these beers after a year, they tasted pretty dam good. So much so trhat I am going to get some of the yeast out of the freezer and do a few more beers with it.

I regularly take Belgians up to the mid 80s, but this yeast has a lower temp range than most. Just checked and the spec calls for 77 F. It may be OK up to 85 for all I know, but I would prefer for someone else to do the experiment - I don't want to have 5 gallons of beer that will give you a headache after 1 glass.

Back