Is It Mold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZooBrew5

Reaction score
Hi guys. I know this question has been asked before, but i haven't found an answer to my scenario. I've had a Mr. Beer brew in the keg for way longer than i intended. I made a 'Whispering Wheat' with orange peel and a dash of clove. Problem is after, i dunno, roughly 2 months the orange peels have developed what appears to be mold around them, and there are also floating particles on the surface. Its not a terrible amount of mold, but enough to make me think i could get some kinda stomach bug or something. Thoughts, insight, knowledge, experience, facts all welcome. Thank you

I don't believe there is any kind of mold that can survive in fermented beer, nor any pathogen for that matter. Still, a photo would be helpful. My hunch is that you're just seeing yeast rafting, but you'll need to provide some images for anyone to say anything useful.

There is no known harmful bacteria or pathogen that can cause health problems in beer. That's why beer was the beverage of choice in previous centuries. It is safer than water.

Give it a try, if it tastes good, drink it.

I don't believe there is any kind of mold that can survive in fermented beer, nor any pathogen for that matter. Still, a photo would be helpful. My hunch is that you're just seeing yeast rafting, but you'll need to provide some images for anyone to say anything useful.

I'm not arguing with you here but there are lots of micros that can tolerate alcohol levels up to 7%, thats why sanitation is so important.

I'm not arguing with you here but there are lots of micros that can tolerate alcohol levels up to 7%, thats why sanitation is so important.

Those organisms cause off flavors, but the point is that nothing detrimental to one's health can survive. Sure, it may taste horrible, but it won't kill you! ;).

solid materials often find there way around items that i have put in my fermenters. Could be protieins or yeast particles. If your sanitation was good adn your beer tastes ok, i wouldnt worry about it.

It its a mold,bacteria,wild yeast - you'll know by the smell of it.

Thanks so much to everyone for their input. I'm gonna try to upload a pic asap. I'd appreciate some follow up if anybody has the time. Thanks again

Here is the best picture of the oranges in my beer. It is hard to tell but there was alot of white around the oranges peels. The orange peels were completely absorbed and brown in color. Some look like they had mold growing on them. I assumed originally that it wasn't yeast because the beer had been in the keg for so long that I figure it sunk to the bottom. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks.

IMG_20110410_123114.jpg

Ive seen plenty of mold growing on the surface of beer. My neighbor just gave me back my growler and it was full of mold. Your oranges look moldy to me, Im no expert but I would brew a new batch, I dont cry over spilled milk, let alone beer.

it's not the best picture but i don't think that's mold. from all my years working in kitchens it looks like rind that has been in fluid too long and is disintegrating. i would just take it out with a sanitized spoon, 2 months is long enough.

I say just rack it off the orange peels and if it smells and tastes fine from a sample then by all means drink it. Like it was already said no known harmful pathogens can live in alcohol. Sure some bacteria and mold can live in alcohol but it won't hurt you. Some people purposely infect beers for different flavors. (ie: sour beers).

JeffB said:
Ive seen plenty of mold growing on the surface of beer. My neighbor just gave me back my growler and it was full of mold. Your oranges look moldy to me, Im no expert but I would brew a new batch, I dont cry over spilled milk, let alone beer.

Are you sure it was mold? I seem to recall either Briggs or Fix writing somewhere that molds don't tolerate alcohol well. I'll see if I can dig up the reference, but are you sure it wasn't a bacterial pellicle?

I didnt test it, but it looked just like the boogery stuff you see when you leave a glass of coke out too long. May not be mold but nasty nonetheless.

Are you sure it was mold? I seem to recall either Briggs or Fix writing somewhere that molds don't tolerate alcohol well. I'll see if I can dig up the reference, but are you sure it wasn't a bacterial pellicle?

Bacterial will live on top of the beer and for a dry powdery environment almost seperate from the beer itself. take my word for it. below is 6.7% ABV beer.

IMG_08531.JPG

Here is the best picture of the oranges in my beer. It is hard to tell but there was alot of white around the oranges peels. The orange peels were completely absorbed and brown in color. Some look like they had mold growing on them. I assumed originally that it wasn't yeast because the beer had been in the keg for so long that I figure it sunk to the bottom. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks.

that really looks fine to me! here is a picture of a cider im fermenting. it has apple bits and pieces of strawberries. this stuf looks wierd after it sits in a liquid for a while.
IMG_09291.JPG

Hey guys I stopped brewing for a little while cause I haven't been able to, and as a result I have not been here for awhile. Just wanted to say thank so much to everyone for taking the time to respond to my concerns... if you happen to see this. Anyway, I took what I thought was a chance on it, fished out the questionable oranges sanitarily, bottled it etc, and drank it up. It was delicious and gave me absolutely no problems. If anybody is looking at this for an answer to a similar issue, referencing my pic, and scenario- you should be fine. Cheers!

The few times I have added fruit to a beer, I seem to recall the yeast 'attacking' it. They completely coat the fruit giving off the appearance of mold, when it was actually just yeast sticking to it.

Back