12g cartridges in 16g charger?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hexmonkey

Reaction score
phpThumb.php

Planning to bring a keg to a 4th of July party, so I just ordered the portable charger from Morebeer.

Does anyone have one of these? Does it work with 12g cartridges, or should I keep looking for 16g?

Morebeer didn't have the co2 cartridges in stock, and so I'm going to have to find them locally. From my initial searches, it seems 12g cartridges are easier to find than 16g.

I don't know! I have the cartridges that you use for little paintball guns, and they are out at my cottage. I can check them tomorrow evening if you're not in a hurry, and let you know exactly what size they are.

I don't know! I have the cartridges that you use for little paintball guns, and they are out at my cottage. I can check them tomorrow evening if you're not in a hurry, and let you know exactly what size they are.

ZOMG HURRY UP YOOPER!!! IT'S ALMOST JULY 4TH!!!
:fro:

ZOMG HURRY UP YOOPER!!! IT'S ALMOST JULY 4TH!!!
:fro:

Yes, but MY beer is carbed and ready. It's in the kegger already at the cottage, on the gas. The charger/cartridges are there for IF we run out of gas. So.................it's important for me to check. But it's not MY emergency! LOL!

Seriously, if no one else can let you know tonight, I'll let you know by 9 PM tomorrow night. They're sitting right on top of the kegerator and I'm certain I'll have at least one beer.

I DO think they're the smaller 12 G cartridge, but I'm not sure that's why I have to check!

Alright- I just looked on austinhomebrew.com. That's where I got mine. Here's the page: Austin Homebrew Supply

It looks like I DO use the 12 G cartridges, but it looks like the charger itself is different. I don't know if you can use the 12Gs in the other one.

Yes, but MY beer is carbed and ready. It's in the kegger already at the cottage, on the gas. The charger/cartridges are there for IF we run out of gas. So.................it's important for me to check. But it's not MY emergency! LOL!!

I was just kidding. It's no emergency at all, I'm going to carb it with my regular co2 setup. I'm just trying to figure out what I need to buy for the party on the 4th...

if the 12g are sorter, you can throw a couple washers in there to take up the space, probably 3-5 washers should do the trick, no clue what diamater, check out the charger to be sure.

Pretty sure Walmart sells teh 16grams by the bbguns.

12g cartridges work in mine... I had some left over from my BB gun. Just barely breaks the seal, but doesn't leak.

The 12 gram cartridges work just be careful that you screw the top on straight. The cartidges are smaller so they are not a tight fit in the charger body. I suppose all the chargers are pretty much the same but I can't be sure.

Yeah as long as they aren't the threaded type 12 gram cartriges should do the trick. However if I were you I would get the 16 gram cartriges if you can. I was really suprised at how quickly my 12 gram catrige ran out. I know they aren't significantly smaller than the 16 but I noticed.

Check out bike shops for CO2 cartridges if you haven't thought of that already. They are sold by the same company, just relabeled.

Check out bike shops for CO2 cartridges if you haven't thought of that already. They are sold by the same company, just relabeled.

I know there's a number of places where I can go to get cartridges, I'm just not sure which ones I'll be able to find.

Though so far, the consensus seems to be "eh, 12g oughta work"...

Back