Old Speckled Hen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigjohnmilford

bigger than most
Reaction score
Our favorite beer bar is running a promo night with Old Speckled Hen tonight. Is it worth making the run out. I've never had it that I can recall. Opinions anyone?

Thanks for any replies.

:mug:

It is a good mild/bitter can't quite tell. I like it but it is a session beer, not a "holy hell, did you taste that crazy beer" kinda beer. If it is a promo, it sounds like a good excuse to head to the pub. Trust me I have gone for much leaner reasons than that :mug:

It's a good malty beer that's well balanced. It's the kinda beer that's nice to have 2,3 or 4. I like it but I wouldn't call it a session beer. I think if you build your hopes up for a WOW brew then you may be let down.

If it's available do I reccomend you try it.?
Most definitely

If I'm in a pub I'll go for other stuff. If it's on a shelf it's one of my top 5 beers.

My novice review is that it is a fairly malty beer that I would prefer to imbibe in the fall rather than the hot summer. I bought a 4 pack of cans a while ago and have only gone through 2 of the 4.

Thanks for the replies all. I think with a couple hours of ot tonight and 20 cent buffalo wings at the pub along with a promo night. The pub will take some of our money tonight. All I need to do is have one to get a free pint glass. I can handle that. cheers

It's one of my favorite draft brews, but I agree it's best in the cooler months. If they're giving away pint glasses though, there's no reason not to try it, right?

Let us know what you think.

It was nitro charged and very nice. Malty and very tasty good mouth feel. I enjoyed it. We ran into our brewer and lhbs owner friend. So it was a really nice evening. I'm a bit druck. Capping the night off with a bottle of apfelwien and...

Cheers and thanks for the info. It was more than worth the night out.

:mug:

I'm pleased you enjoyed it.
I personally think what you tried may be a different experience to the cask condition brew I drink here.

You'll of had a kegged version. I wonder if it was brewed in the States?

I personally think what you tried may be a different experience to the cask condition brew I drink here.

It was very nice. I didn't ask the rep any serious questions. He was a brit though and a pretty cool guy. I thought it was fitting.

You had to rub it in! :D
It's been almost 11 years since I've had a cask ale. It was bad enough for me watching the old beer hunter series a few weeks ago, and now this.

Too late to be any help again :(

For what it's worth, I've always thought Speckled Hen was a good draught cask ale. I've never had a kegged version, but recently I had a few cans here.....The cans sucked. I was very dissapointed. Maybe i'ts fine kegged, I wouldn't know, but it definitely needs to be served in a pub IMO. :)

Maybe i'ts fine kegged, I wouldn't know, but it definitely needs to be served in a pub IMO. :)

I'll vouch for that, the casked OSH I drank in London last year bore little resemblance to what I've had in the draught cans on this side of the pond.

For better results, brew your own from Orfy's recipe! :D

oldspeckledhen.jpg

My local ABC has their bottles sitting front and center...on the front window. I loves me some OSH but I won't be buying any there. I prefer the draught cans anyways.

Mine too. Except I didn't think about the clear bottles. The moment I popped the top, it reeked of skunks. I had to pour the entire bottle out. :(

Latest posts

Back