Low OG in lacto

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pauljabeer

Reaction score
Need some advice on a saison I'm brewing.

Here is the recipe and process that I got from a guy at a home brew store (which now seems off after I've done a couple other brews and more research):

Ingredients:

6# Northwestern Weizen malt extract
2# Breiss red wheat
1# Weyerman
4oz Grambinus Honeymalt

1oz Czech Saaz hop pellets (1/4 oz added in wort, the remaining will be dry hopped in secondary)

Lactobacillus (Wyeast)
French saison (Wyeast)

Process:

Added grains to 2gal of water for 1 hour at 152 dev for 1 hour

Added 2gal of water and extract, and hops at 30 min, and brought back up to 152 degrees for 60 minutes

Dumped in primary, topped off to 5gal, and added lactobacillus.

I didn't do a gravity measurement as I brought home the wrong type of hydrometer and forgot to check it after I got the right one.

I put the wort in a dark corner of my house and kept it at 175-180 degrees for a month and brewed a couple other different brews while I waited (which are now in bottles).

When the acidity was to my liking (tasted) I pitched the yeast and took a measurement. The gravity was low at 1.008 which really surprised me. After a few hours there was no activity in the blow off.

The low OG worried me and I panicked a bit and scoured the internet looking for a solution instead of chilling out and asking for advice. A couple sites recommended adding corn sugar to get the yeast going by raising the gravity. That made some sense to me so I gave it a go.

The beer sat all night and did not produce any activity in the blowoff - I'm guessing here as I didn't sit up all night and watch it. The gravity is now at 1.030 compared to the 1.008.

My 1st question is, what is wrong? Having brewed two other beers from recipe while this one soured I'm thinking it could be the no boil (which was the step-by-step from a guy at a brew store) or the ingredients are off. But I really don't know for sure.

My 2nd question is, how do I "fix" it? The low original gravity has me thinking there is little to no alcohol in the wort as it is now. The taste is too sweet now that I've added the sugar (really kicking myself for panicking).

I could just bottle and let it be what it is, but I really want to see if I can fix this batch and have a nice, sour saison at the end.

Any help is most appreciated.

1.008 is not your OG since you had lacto fermenting it for a month. If you were using lacto. brevis, it should produce alcohol. Do you know what strain you used?

Back