Dark Saison recipe critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chefchris

Reaction score
Going for a cool weather saison with a big body and little bit of roast character.

1.060 OG
34.5 IBUs
32 SRM

10.25 lb Pils
1 lb Oats
1 lb Wheat Malt
.5 lb Chocolate Wheat
2 oz Chocolate Malt
1 lb D-180 Belgian Candi Syrup

0.6 oz Magnum (60 min)

White Labs Saison III (maybe)

I've never used Candi Syrup before so I'm not sure how much it will impact the flavor.

What do you think, sirs?

Looks good! I have a dark saison on-deck as well. I'm planning on 1# Midnight wheat in mine for the color. I think your chocolate wheat looks good...not sure what the 2oz of chocolate malt is for...color, perhaps? Or just have 2oz you need to use up? I used 8oz of D-180 in my rye saison...adds just a touch of sweetness but not the heavy, cloying kind. I really like what it does. In fact, after seeing your recipe I may add some D-180 to my dark saison....might provide a nice bit of complexity...

Just got home with the recipe. After talking it over with my wife I decided to take out the oats. I added the chocolate for a slight low key roast in case I don't get much of it from the chocolate wheat or the D-180. I have an amber on tap that used .5 lb of chocolate wheat and I can't pick it up at all. Good to hear about the syrup adding a touch of sweetness. I almost added some Caramunich II last minute (I use it in my house saison) but decided against it thinking I might be fine with just the syrup.

If I remember, which I usually do, I'll report back.

You'll probably be happier leaving out the oats.

I've worked with oats in a saison. Adds an interesting mouthfeel but usually you want your saisons dry and crisp not silky. The oats are a good addition if you're adding brett because sometimes it can make the saison dry out to water-y mouthfeel and the oat proteins that add the silky character aren't fermentable by brett.

Yeah, that's exactly why I dropped them. I figured if I want more body I can add malto dextrin to the keg. Good to know about the Brett. I may use that trick in the future.

Back