Storage for dry yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoxerDog

Reaction score
I bought some nottingham dry yeast, I presume that I should keep those in the fridge?

Also got some champagne yeast, the guy went into the back to get those and I didnt know if it came out of a fridge, should I put it in the fridge also?

In theory they should be fridged but I never have and most HBS I know keep them on the shelf. I'd say keep them dry, cool and out of strong light. I keep mine in a cupboard. I'd be concerened about them getting moist in the fridge.

My LHBS keeps all their yeast refrigerated. I would recommend doing the same. One piece of advice I remember well is when you buy a can of malt extract, throw away the yeast that comes under the lid and buy a fresh pack. Those yeast have been stored unrefrigerated and have probably been subjected to fairly high temps.

ALL my yeast is in the fridge- wine yeast, beer yeast, and bread yeast. No reason to not refrigerate it, really. It's in an airtight package, and it will keep best in the fridge.

Lorena

Also got some champagne yeast

Lalvin says that you can refrigerate or freeze their dry yeast for greater storage stability. Let it come up to room temperature before rehydrating. I assume it might be the same for other dried wine yeast companies.

Lots of the LHBS around my town do not bother to keep their wine yeasts in the fridge. They mainly only stock the champagne yeast and it seems that EC-1118 is pretty hardy and foolproof.

I keep all mine in the fridge.

Richard - you're best bet is to make a starter, IF the packet is out of date. An in-date packet should be ok.

Check out www.howtobrew.com under yeasts. It will give you directions for a starter. Do not follow the instructions for the Mr. Beer kit. Boil longer, boil more water, cool in ice bath and try following the directions that come from the link above. It is much more fun and produces a drinkable beer. Read the whole thing, it is fun for us beginners. someone pointed it out to me and it changed my idea on the whole Mr. Beer thing. I tried a starter with both my Mr. Beer's that I've made so far and neither of them had ANY activity. Then you add the "boost" that came with the original kit and it makes you never want to brew again.....pretty gross drinking sugar beer. Good thing you (and I) found this forum to get better!!! :mug:

Back