Screw caps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean

Reaction score
I just tried one of my Pale ales bottled about three weeks ago, Perfect, clear, nice head, carbonation, very Green tasting, from the hop plugs, But, I was rinsing the bottle and realized it was a screw cap bottle. It was a nice bottle, Coopers from Austrailia, so I must not have looked at it very closely. Has anyone ever done this before. It seems to have worked out fine.

I have heard from some people that they have been successful using crimp on bottle caps on screw top bottles, but more often than not people find that they don't get a good seal. I'm glad that they sealed up in your case, as I hate to see batches go to waste.

John

I was mid-bottle during my PA bottling session and found a few screw-tops. Used em anyways. Turned out fine.

I had freinds in college who bottles exclusively with 40ozER's
rescrewed the caps, worked like a charm

I know people say they seal, but I personally dont trust them. I use a bench capper now which will probably get a seal on them, but why bother when you can just drink some sam adams black lagers and cherry wheats for a month and accumulate a few cases of NICE top top bottles.

pbowler said:
I had freinds in college who bottles exclusively with 40ozER's
rescrewed the caps, worked like a charm

I seem to think there is confusion, especially among us noobs, regarding screw caps. Is there a difference in terminology between the screw offs on a 40oz versus that from a 12oz bottle? I mean, the caps and threads are different. Is one referred to as a twist-off and the other a screw-off?

I've never had any interest in trying to re-cap the 12oz style but I've got a good bit of 32oz and 40oz twist-offs which are filled. I've not yet cracked one open to see how well they sealed.

I only had the one bottle, and it was inadvertent. The rest of the bottles are ez-caps, or use - an - opener - to - open - it type bottles. I would not re-use caps, threaded, or otherwise, I think it would be impossible to sanitize them, especially the second or third bottling.

Back