My Kolsch is fermenting but...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WortMonger said:
Kolsch smells pretty bad while fermenting. It is actually the stickiest fermentation I have ever had. Very sulphury, and fart-like.
Good to know...I looked this up in the Palmer book, and it basically said "if it's a lager, it's normal...if it's an ale, it's probably infected"
Good to know it is probably not infected.:ban:

I can't believe Palmers book would say this but, if it tastes bad it is bad has been my motto. You can't ever tell until it is supposed to be ready and you drink it, ever. I have had beers clear right up, both taste and clarity, in just a few weeks time difference.

Never give up until it screams "give up!" Home brewing isn't obvious, until it is obvious.

Well see there:p , lol. Just kidding, keep us informed. We all love to hear a good fermentation story, even if you are freaked out of your mind while telling us about it, lol. I love Kolsch, so I can probably help you out a little with what to expect. It has a quick change from putrid to wonderful, it is just figuring out when to predict this. I use this method with a Kolsch: 1 week primary, 1 week secondary under pressure in same vessel (I recommend 2 weeks for regular after transferring to another vessel), 1 week at room temperature (prime here if you aren't force carbonating or already carbonated), then finally 1 week in kegerator before serving. So a month start to finish, but crashed and aged enough for clarity and taste.

chiefbrewer said:
...it smells like rotten eggs. I know that is normal for lagers, but is Kolsch yeast considered a lager yeast?

What Kolsch yeast are you using? I know that WLP029 specifically states that there is significant sulphur production during fermentation but it will dissipate after about 2 weeks. I'm sure Wyeast's Kolsch is probably about the same.

srm775 said:
What Kolsch yeast are you using? I know that WLP029 specifically states that there is significant sulphur production during fermentation but it will dissipate after about 2 weeks. I'm sure Wyeast's Kolsch is probably about the same.

Yes, Wyeast's version does indeed kick off a ton of sulphur, especially towards the end of fermentation. I couldn't imagine drinking the stuff based on the way it smelled and looked in the primary (a thick creamy yellow krausen that never did go away). Racked out from under it and after three weeks in the secondary, the beer had a great subtly fruity smell.

reshp1 said:
(a thick creamy yellow krausen that never did go away). Racked out from under it and after three weeks in the secondary, the beer had a great subtly fruity smell.
About that...usually, I wait until the krausen falls to let me know when to rack to a secondary. How long did you leave it in primary?

chiefbrewer said:
Well, to be fair, he said if it was an ale, it is probably infected, but to lager it, and then check when it is ready before you bottle it.

I made up a batch of Scottish 70/. Got the yeast from a fellow homebrewers Scotch ale and mam that fermentation smelled really, really bad. Beer is really really good though. Even cvalled Wyeast to verify that a Scottish yeast could smell like that. The lab guy said yup, it can.

chiefbrewer said:
About that...usually, I wait until the krausen falls to let me know when to rack to a secondary. How long did you leave it in primary?

I think I was in the primary for 2 weeks, it won't hurt to leave it in there a bit longer if you don't have a hydrometer to know for sure when it's done.

Kolsch yeast is the second worst smelling yeast I've ever smelled. The first is Montrachet and apfelwein. (DISCLAIMER: this is only referring to fermentation products, not 'other' forms of yeast)

Back