Brewing a cream beer questions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjsydens

Reaction score
I want to brew a cream beer but have never brewed beer before. so far all i have done is make hard cider which i was told is not the same as brewing beer.

http://www.beersmith.com/Recipes2/recipe_138.htm

i have found this from the internet but dont know how to go from this to actually doing it. i have all the stuff because my brother bought the stuff a long time ago but he has not brewed a cream beer nor knows what the igloo thing is for.

Can someone point me in the right direction of some step by step directions on how to go about doing this correctly.

Thank you

I can't see the recipe, as my virus software sees this as a threat. If you copy/paste the recipe here, we can give you step-by-step instructions.

I want to brew a cream beer but have never brewed beer before. so far all i have done is make hard cider which i was told is not the same as brewing beer.

http://www.beersmith.com/Recipes2/recipe_138.htm

i have found this from the internet but dont know how to go from this to actually doing it. i have all the stuff because my brother bought the stuff a long time ago but he has not brewed a cream beer nor knows what the igloo thing is for.

Can someone point me in the right direction of some step by step directions on how to go about doing this correctly.

Thank you
Since you haven't brewed beer before, here is the "best" way to start.

http://howtobrew.com/

Once you have read all this you can come ask questions that will help guide you through the first brew.

This is simply my humble opinion.

Go to northernbrewer.com and find the cream ale recipe. Under additional information, you can view the steps to the recipe. The beer is great, the recipe is simple. Read it a few times and make sure you have all the equipment before starting. Come back and ask questions if you are still unsure.

Good luck!

Since you haven't brewed beer before, here is the "best" way to start.

http://howtobrew.com/

Once you have read all this you can come ask questions that will help guide you through the first brew.

The best way would be the newest addition of Palmers book, he admits there is some outdated info in the 1st edition, which the online addition is. It is still a solid place to start.

Creamy Goodness Ale

Type: All Grain
Date: 10/16/2004
Batch Size: 5.13 gal
Brewer: Brad Pierskalla
Boil Size: 6.15 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: 30qt Brew Pot w/ 48qt Igloo Ice Cube Mash/Lauter Tun
Taste Rating(out of 50): 39.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 61.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
7.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) Belgian - (Dingemans Pale 3.2L) (3.0 SRM) Grain 66.67 %
2.00 lb Vienna Malt - (Durst Vienna 3.8L) (4.0 SRM) Grain 19.05 %
1.00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine - (Breiss Carapils 1.5L) (2.0 SRM) Grain 9.52 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (Breiss) (10.0 SRM) Grain 4.76 %
0.75 oz Cascade [5.70 %] (55 min) Hops 15.4 IBU
0.75 oz Amarillo Gold [7.10 %] (2 min) Hops 1.7 IBU
1 Pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.045 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.045 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.010 SG Measured Final Gravity: 0.000 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.54 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.00 %
Bitterness: 17.1 IBU Calories: 0 cal/pint
Est Color: 5.7 SRM Color:
Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Light Body Total Grain Weight: 10.50 lb
Sparge Water: 2.07 gal Grain Temperature: 70.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F TunTemperature: 70.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Single Infusion, Light Body
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 13.13 qt of water at 169.8 F 154.0 F
10 min Mash Out Add 8.40 qt of water at 194.5 F 168.0 F

Mash Notes: Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time).
Carbonation and Storage

Carbonation Type: Corn Sugar Volumes of CO2: 2.6
Pressure/Weight: 4.4 oz Carbonation Used:
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 60.0 F Age for: 21.0 days
Storage Temperature: 68.0 F

Notes

I am reading the howtobrew.com website now.

That's a pretty straightforward recipe, but most newer brewers start with extract brewing. What do you have for equipment for the MLT and boil kettle?

That recipe is ok, but it's NOT a cream ale at all. It's more of a lighter pale ale and will be a totally different beer than something like a cream ale. I just wanted to let you know!

Are you certain you have the proper equipment to brew all-grain? I only ask because most starter kits are geared for extract brewing... though you did mention an Igloo cooler, which could be your MLT. It'd be a major bummer if you bought all the ingredients only to discover you couldn't actually brew the beer. That's a pretty simple recipe, albeit not really a Cream Ale, but it shouldn't be a tough one to make.

Back