Five Star American IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rlbois1

Reaction score
I brewed this batch up on 6/16/12. I had bought a pound of Cascade hops to experiment with... so, 5 hops additions and ultimately 5 ounces of hops. It spent 13 days in the primary and 9 days in the secondary (the plan was 14/7).

Although it had only been in the bottles 9 days, I tried one last night, and it was very good. I'll post a pic tonight when I drink another...

Time - Additions
60 - 1.0oz Cascade, 3.0lb sorghum, 3.0lb rice syrup
45 - 0.75oz Cascade
30 - 0.75oz Cascade
15 - 0.75oz Cascade, 8oz maltodextrin, 1tsp irish moss, 1.0lb Rice Solids
0 - 0.75oz Cascade, 1lb amber candi
DH - 1.0oz Cascade

ABV 6.0
IBU 68
SRM 12

Glad to hear it's turning out alright. With all the cascade and the sorghum, I would have thought that this recipe might come out with too much of a citrus taste.

Does it have a lot of citrus?
Is the rice syrup that you used brown rice syrup?
What was the FG?

Looks like the sorghum is only about 37% of the fermentables, so it shouldn't be too much. My experience with cascade hops is they're real grapefruity at first, but after a month or so it mellows out to a bit more floral. It's really been blowing my mind how much hoppy beers evolve through aging....

...but after a month or so it mellows out to a bit more floral. It's really been blowing my mind how much hoppy beers evolve through aging....
I am having a difficult time staying patient once I bottle. I am trying...

Between my impatience and my hatred of bottling day itself I see a kegging system in my future.
I have been bottling half of each batch and putting the other half in a PartyPig. Aside from the ~$5.00 recurring cost for pressure pouches, I really like the pigs... each pig holds a case (2.25 gallons).

rlbois1 said:
I have been bottling half of each batch and putting the other half in a PartyPig. Aside from the ~$5.00 recurring cost for pressure pouches, I really like the pigs... each pig holds a case (2.25 gallons).

With the pig dont you still have to wait for the beer to naturally carbonate? Or is it force carbed?

Yum...

0720121951.jpg

So, after a month of conditioning, I put a PartyPig of this IPA in the fridge this weekend. The taste and the beer overall has really matured. While I am very experienced in the drinking of beer, I am not so experienced in the describing of beer, but here goes...

There is no sorghum twang period; nice rich head and good head retention; the taste is very smooth; citrusy in a pleasing mellow way; at ~68 IBUs it's quite hoppy but not in your face hoppy. Cascade hops are obviously very versatile. It is far superior to any store bought gluten free beer I've ever drank. At this point, not sure what I'd change; 5 oz is a lot of hops, but if I were to cut it down to 4 oz, I'd have to change the name...

Is that amber candy syrup or is it sugar? I have a pouch of D-45, is that what we're talking about?

Back