New Zealand Brewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome Craig
There's a wealth if information out there. Try forum.realbeer.co.nz as well
You doing all grain I assume?
Hi crusader,

So far, I have been doing some partial mashes and some kits with additional specialty grains. No all-grain so far, but it is on the horizon. I have bottled 4 batches and kegged 4. My first go at an IPA went into the fermenter today. Lots of citra hops!

This weekend I've brewed my super beer starter brew now named Ignition since its the brew tts actually just growing my eau de vie yeast that will be the 2nd yeast for my Super Beer which I'm brewing right now that will have an OG of 1.17 and hopefully ferment to 20+% :)
I'm onto the 2nd mash for super beer, I have to mash a total of 14kg and then boil it down to about 15Litres so I think it's gonna be a long one.

kiwirevo said:
This weekend I've brewed my super beer starter brew now named Ignition since its the brew tts actually just growing my eau de vie yeast that will be the 2nd yeast for my Super Beer which I'm brewing right now that will have an OG of 1.17 and hopefully ferment to 20+% :)
I'm onto the 2nd mash for super beer, I have to mash a total of 14kg and then boil it down to about 15Litres so I think it's gonna be a long one.

Nice long mash? Wow 20+% impressive. Good luck buddy.

The mash was long but I didn't think about this. Boiling 50Litres down to 15 is going to take like 10 hours :-( probably going to have split it over 2 nights

Well it took 10.5 hours to boil down and I got to bed at 5AM (less than 2 hrs sleep before getting up for work) still a lot of cleaning to do tonight but its in the fermenter, got 16L at the OG I needed of 1.173. Syphoning was pointless, this stuff is like really thick hot chocolate (colour & consistency) aerated and rehydrated 2 packs of Nottingham in GoFerm Protect, aerated again when I woke up.
Total brew time from milling to pitching was 18hours. Don't think I'll do this again soon

Well it took 10.5 hours to boil down and I got to bed at 5AM (less than 2 hrs sleep before getting up for work) still a lot of cleaning to do tonight but its in the fermenter, got 16L at the OG I needed of 1.173. Syphoning was pointless, this stuff is like really thick hot chocolate (colour & consistency) aerated and rehydrated 2 packs of Nottingham in GoFerm Protect, aerated again when I woke up.
Total brew time from milling to pitching was 18hours. Don't think I'll do this again soon

Jesus thats a long brewday!!!!

It was a bit crazy, especially considering I have like a 50% chance of it fermenting out properly and even then I have no idea how I'm going to carb it

kiwirevo said:
It was a bit crazy, especially considering I have like a 50% chance of it fermenting out properly and even then I have no idea how I'm going to carb it

Jesus Christ! That's crazy. But. I love it! Well done bro.

Lunchtime glad you received, enjoy :)
IPA is cascade and motueka
And you know the other one. :)

LOTS of sugar :p

Jesus Christ! That's crazy. But. I love it! Well done bro.

Lunchtime glad you received, enjoy :)
IPA is cascade and motueka
And you know the other one. :)

Cheers dude. WCIPA will be jetting to you tomorrow, I'll flick you a PM with a Trak n Trace #

NZLunchie said:
LOTS of sugar :p

Cheers dude. WCIPA will be jetting to you tomorrow, I'll flick you a PM with a Trak n Trace #

Awesome looking forward to it. Any judging sheets back yet or any scores offered?

So I have to admit that I have been silently stalking this thread for a while, but haven't felt like I had much to contribute. But this beer has my interest :D Any more details on the rest of the recipe? hopping, etc? Most insanely high OG beers I have seen are not all malt based and have a decent amount of sucrose/glucose added to bump up the alc, so I am interested to see what happens with this!
I guess an introduction for myself - Started brewing with a few Coopers kits for about 6 months in high school, gave up. Then got back into with the Coopers kits about 5 years ago. About 3 years ago I stepped into 12 litre BIAB, and then it was into AG with a ghetto bucket mash tun, etc. about a year after that. Now I have just finished up a 2 keggle electric setup and already dreaming of selling that to build something bigger and badder :D
My goals for this year is to drink as much different homebrew as I can to develop my ability to critique beer and enter some competitions (aiming for at least 3 beers into the NHC). I saw the WCIPA challange but wasn't going to enter as time was not on my side :( and I didn't have an IPA recipe (at all), last night I racked my NZ Cascade IPA to keg and thought it was tasting pretty good. Damn! Anyone know of any other competitions coming up in the near future?

mattd2 said:
So I have to admit that I have been silently stalking this thread for a while, but haven't felt like I had much to contribute. But this beer has my interest :D Any more details on the rest of the recipe? hopping, etc? Most insanely high OG beers I have seen are not all malt based and have a decent amount of sucrose/glucose added to bump up the alc, so I am interested to see what happens with this!
I guess an introduction for myself - Started brewing with a few Coopers kits for about 6 months in high school, gave up. Then got back into with the Coopers kits about 5 years ago. About 3 years ago I stepped into 12 litre BIAB, and then it was into AG with a ghetto bucket mash tun, etc. about a year after that. Now I have just finished up a 2 keggle electric setup and already dreaming of selling that to build something bigger and badder :D
My goals for this year is to drink as much different homebrew as I can to develop my ability to critique beer and enter some competitions (aiming for at least 3 beers into the NHC). I saw the WCIPA challange but wasn't going to enter as time was not on my side :( and I didn't have an IPA recipe (at all), last night I racked my NZ Cascade IPA to keg and thought it was tasting pretty good. Damn! Anyone know of any other competitions coming up in the near future?

I recognise that username.... I've seen you hanging around real beer. I think badlands are planning a dark comp? Only other comp I can think of is NHC towards end of the year?

I'm down to swap beers when I have em :p
You're on RealBeer as well yeah?
Is it possible I may have seen that handle on OCNZ yonks ago as well??

As for comps, Beervana?

NZLunchie said:

As for comps, Beervana?

Pooh forgot about beervana. I'm gonna miss out again this year. As it'll be a day or 2 after I get back from the tropics. And me too I'm keen to swap when I have beer Matt

I recognise that username.... I've seen you hanging around real beer. I think badlands are planning a dark comp? Only other comp I can think of is NHC towards end of the year?

As for comps, Beervana?

Yeah, same username over on RealBeer, don't think I have ever been on OCNZ though. I know the Crusader name from there, Lunchie not 100% surre on yours though :D
I'll have to get the details on the Badlands comp and brew up my brown poerter for it (if it gets good reviews in the latest case swap!)
Will be my first NHC this year - planning on have the brown porter, a NZ/US pale ale and a best bitters brewed for it at least.
Just checked out the Beervana comp - didn't realise entries were already open. Damn I better get brewing!

mattd2 said:
Yeah, same username over on RealBeer, don't think I have ever been on OCNZ though. I'll have to get the details on the Badlands comp and brew up my brown poerter for it (if it gets good reviews in the latest case swap!)
Will be my first NHC this year - planning on have the brown porter, a NZ/US pale ale and a best bitters brewed for it at least.
Just checked out the Beervana comp - didn't realise entries were already open. Damn I better get brewing!

Matt if u need any taste opinions let us know :-D

Yeah, same username over on RealBeer, don't think I have ever been on OCNZ though. I know the Crusader name from there, Lunchie not 100% surre on yours though :D
I'll have to get the details on the Badlands comp and brew up my brown poerter for it (if it gets good reviews in the latest case swap!)

I have many names :p I'll more than likely be using my real name on there...

Mmmmm best bitter!! Loves me some bitter.

Yeah I'm thinking an APA and IIPA for the Beervana comp. Just need to brew!

Yeah and I just remembered that I have to rebuild my grain mill before I can brew another round! Should be able to sneak the 2 beers in there though :D
I think I may have put 2 and 2 together in the past and realised who you are on Realbeer.

Currently sitting in Chch airport and thought I'd have a quick look on the forum... Low and behold... More kiwis! I'm in Wellington. Brew AG, mainly ales, but have tried a lager and recently did my first 10 gallon brew... An oatmeal stout.

Have 2 kegs and will bottle from there if required using a block manner beer gun.
I brewed 2 ales for my wedding about 8 months ago... Both got better reviews than any of the other beer I served.

NZLunchie said:

I'm hiding out on comps until NHC. Will get stuck in end of July by the sounds :)

NZLunchie said:
Brilliant mix man. Very good beer.
Love the lasting bitterness. Beautiful head on it, lacing sticks as well.

Might need a recipe for it :)

I'm sure I can fix you up with that. Glad you enjoyed it.

Hey Matt, glad I could coax you out of threadstalkertown :D
Here's my recipe http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/46161/super-beer-
But you'll also need a second recipe, an entire brew starter :ban: http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/49001/ignition-the-super-beer-starter-brew-

I did heaps of research before planning this beer, the amount of pure grain ultra high gravity brews is miniscule, and the information is difficult to find, you're right about the sugar additions, and the only evidence I can find of someone brewing over 20% with all grain, they split some wort of, reduced it down to effectively malt extract then added it in stepped additions later on, can't think it tasted nice. I ended up reading university papers on reduction/oxidization potential in very high gravity fermenting for the production of biofuels, as well as other subjects, very interesting and actually very useful. The general gist is that it can be done, the biggest concern for me is residual sugar. I mashed really low, 20m at 54, 45m at 60 and 20m at 66. also avoid crystal malts etc, unfermentable sugar is the enemy here. I could have used pilsner but I love Maris Otter. The biggest thing I learned is to aerate a lot. my current schedule is 5 mins a day with an aquarium pump and stone, I'd prefer oxygen injection but can't afford to make that happen. And add yeast nutrient.
I still have no idea how I'm going to carbonate this beer. :confused: and more importantly, I don't have a catchy name, but I'm thinking Super Beer is probably sufficient.

I need to start thinking about the homebrew comps. I entered beervana last year with my 5th brew but they don't give any feedback so it was a bit of a waste of time. Is there somewhere I can access a timetable off all the upcoming comps?

Hey Matt, glad I could coax you out of threadstalkertown :D
Here's my recipe http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/46161/super-beer-
But you'll also need a second recipe, an entire brew starter :ban: http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/49001/ignition-the-super-beer-starter-brew-

I did heaps of research before planning this beer, the amount of pure grain ultra high gravity brews is miniscule, and the information is difficult to find, you're right about the sugar additions, and the only evidence I can find of someone brewing over 20% with all grain, they split some wort of, reduced it down to effectively malt extract then added it in stepped additions later on, can't think it tasted nice. I ended up reading university papers on reduction/oxidization potential in very high gravity fermenting for the production of biofuels, as well as other subjects, very interesting and actually very useful. The general gist is that it can be done, the biggest concern for me is residual sugar. I mashed really low, 20m at 54, 45m at 60 and 20m at 66. also avoid crystal malts etc, unfermentable sugar is the enemy here. I could have used pilsner but I love Maris Otter. The biggest thing I learned is to aerate a lot. my current schedule is 5 mins a day with an aquarium pump and stone, I'd prefer oxygen injection but can't afford to make that happen. And add yeast nutrient.
I still have no idea how I'm going to carbonate this beer. :confused: and more importantly, I don't have a catchy name, but I'm thinking Super Beer is probably sufficient.

Damn that is intense! I would agree with the need to get as much fermentability out of the mash as possible, and hopefully the hops balance it out and the yeast doesn't give up :) That is going to be one insane beer to taste, how long are you going to let it sit and mellow? The two super high gravity beers I have seen (but never tasted) are of coarse DFH120 and Sam Adam's Utopia, but like you said nothing all malt springs to mind (I think the Utopia still relies on additional sugar, but not 100% on that). Again it is going to be an interesting experience and not like any other beer before!

Damn that is intense! I would agree with the need to get as much fermentability out of the mash as possible, and hopefully the hops balance it out and the yeast doesn't give up :) That is going to be one insane beer to taste, how long are you going to let it sit and mellow? The two super high gravity beers I have seen (but never tasted) are of coarse DFH120 and Sam Adam's Utopia, but like you said nothing all malt springs to mind (I think the Utopia still relies on additional sugar, but not 100% on that). Again it is going to be an interesting experience and not like any other beer before!

Yeah, Utopias has maple syrup added. Not sure on the mellowing, I'll just have to try it and see.
How was Utopias, it's uncarbed isn't it? I'm thinking that might be an option for me

Back