Bananas Foster Creamy Ale (All Grain) **pic intensive**

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:off:

i'm going to guess that this was posted after a long day of drinking... :drunk:

Actually only one beer. SO, to reiterate:

What kind of TIME are people seeing this recipe needs to bottle carbonate?

OR, how long in the bottle before you saw bubbles?

For anyone who has made this,

Did you use 5 'peeled' pounds of bananas, or 5 'unpeeled' pounds of bananas?

this is the second beer i've tried to make.

unfortunately i forgot the 2 cups of brown sugar during the boil.

should i add some portion of this to the secondary along with the 8oz rum and bananas?

Ok, so I did 1 week primary and 3 weeks secondary. After 3 days in the keg it seems carbed up, BUT...

Honestly it is pretty gross at this point. Pretty sweet, and not much banana flavor.

Does it get better with age?

Ok, so I did 1 week primary and 3 weeks secondary. After 3 days in the keg it seems carbed up, BUT...

Honestly it is pretty gross at this point. Pretty sweet, and not much banana flavor.

Does it get better with age?

From what others say, it sounds like it definitely gets better with age. The banana flavors become more evident and any residual sweetness and sharpness from the rum tend to balance out. Give it some time.

Just found this thread a few days ago after searching for banana beer recipe ideas. My brother-in-law gave me the idea after asking what I thought about a beer made with vanilla and beer and viola! Up pops this awesome thread! He is also a big fan of rum so this is right up his alley. My wife and I are planning to brew this up early next week as a surprise for him. Really excited for this!

I know this is an older thread but I had a quick question. It sounds like this does better with some age. I was leaning toward bottling this but has anyone proffered this kegged? Any feelings toward kegging? Thanks all for the great thread!

I've brewed this recipe twice and kegged it both times. It's an interesting beer and I've found that most folks like it, but some don't. Due to the bananas, it does produce a lot of trub, though, so if you want a full keg, I'd suggest doing a 7 gal batch to end up with 5 gal @ packaging. Also, just to note, I didn't find that much aging was needed, but I did dial back the OG to 1.065-1.070 both times I brewed it. I didn't see much need for this to be 8%+ brew, especially since I knew it would be kegged and we'd be pulling drafts left and right. If I were doing a small batch and bottling in bombers, I'd go bigger. Of course, that was just my own logic, you can do whatever floats your boat. I think I'll add this one to my brew schedule for late summer, as it's been a few years while since I last brewed it.

Very good to know. Thanks for all the helpful info. I'll let you know how it goes. I feel like this will be a good one to start off spring and I'll be brewing it up early next week.

Was reading about banana beers, found this read.... wow lots to read... still on page 15.

I brewed a banana beer very much like this earlier this week with a fat tire beer base, pale malt, crystal 60L and biscuit malt, 5.3 lbs of banana and 2 cans of Oregon Tart Cherries. 1.075 OG.

Dubbed it Donkey Kong.

I made an extract banana beer 8 years back it was a pre-hopped amber LME extract, 30 IBU with 5lbs banana. I never had carbonation or foam retention issues. I primed with Muntons Kreamy-X, 2 oz of Lactose and added 2-3 oz of Mexican extract at bottling.

I still have to figure how I'm gonna package this one. I think I will keg, then bottle. Jury is out on vanilla addition.

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before as I didn't read all 17 pages, but has anyone tried zesting the banana peel to get the banana flavor? I don't know if this works the same as orange peel zest does but thought it might be worth a try. And should take up a lot less space in the fermenters.

I know this been awhile, anybody interested in doing this, adding peel, banana meat, or both to the boil is key.

I read "Extreme Brewing" by Sam Calagione. Owner Dogfishhead.

He said to get fruit flavor into the beer it has to be boiled. It's just like hops. His recommendation is the last 10 minutes to breakdown the fruit fibers too. If you puree the fruit then, do 20 minutes post boil steep.

In my latest beer I did both.

For the hell of it grab a banana. Peel and eat it. Save the peel for about 8-10oz boil in water for 10 minutes. If you want add teaspoon of cinnamon. Then drink/taste the tea.

Supposedly this is a good sleep aide due to the tryptophan in the peel. The peel also has more potassium than the meat. Save for hangover concoction. It's supposed to boost your depleted potassium.

Anyhow only made it to page 16... Working on the rest.

the peel really doesn't have flavor in it

That's not correct. Raw it's like eating pith on an orange, lemon or lime. Boiled it's different.

I know for a fact. I made banana peel tea. Boiled, the liquid tastes like banana. I never ate the peel though.

I just wanted to know how the water would be effected....or wort.

:D

FYI.....

http://www.eatclean.com/recipes-how-to/banana-skin-recipes

http://www.davidwolfe.com/banana-cinnamon-tea-deep-sleep/

http://metro.co.uk/2015/09/30/this-is-why-you-should-be-eating-your-banana-peel-5414205/

http://www.doctoroz.com/recipe/banana-tea

http://m.wikihow.com/Make-Banana-Peel-Tea

I will say that the ripeness changes how it discolored in the boil. The greener turns green the riper peel turns black.

Riper is sweeter. The ones I did were green. Once cooked its not bitter, but not sweet either.

It's like using whole hops. The hop cone or banana peel is not going to be in the beer once it goes to a keg or bottle.

I've got my mash going right now. I'm entering it into the Peterson AFB Annual Homebrew Competition in Feb. I'll keep you all posted starting from brew day to the awards ceremony. Wish me Luck!

Resurrecting this zombie - I think I'm going to brew it this week fo r****s & giggles. If it turns out well, my GF should love it!
And I agree with a recent poster, that I will keep this at or below 1.070. Bigger is not always better.

just resurrecting this thread.

I Brewed last Sunday to the op original recipe.
I achived 1067 og, so off a little but this is my first all grain batch. So next time ill hopefully be much better.

Adult baby food ill be added tomorrow, then let it ride for 20 days.

Keep the updates coming. I am starting my bean/rum soak this weekend and plan on brewing next weekend. Extract with special grain steep.

Just racked into secondary onto my adult baby food/rum banana puree.

Before adding puree my gravity reading was 1.008, giving me a alcohol volume of 7.9% i believe.

i used WLP 001 same as op.
It had one huge krausen coming through the blow off tube.

Just checked and it has started bubbling away again, a few bubbles every 10 to 15 seconds

I am joined up to the thread and I enjoyed the read. I recently was asked to make a banana beer. It will be a first and I have taken lots of notes. Thank you for the encouragement. I have recently made a cherry ale, stout and a bourbon oak porter. all turned out great. Cheers!

1. Surprised no-one's mentioned Wyeast 1388 (golden strong) as an option. Has anyone tried it? I've made mead and beer with it - lovely. Other yeast preferences?

2. To make banana wine (see Keller recipe), you bring sliced bananas WITH skins to the boil and then let them simmer for 30 min [I've got one in primary right now... incredible aroma...]. How different would adding the bananas during the last 5min of boil v the banana smoothy in secondary version? Is the idea that putting it in the secondary keeps more of the banana flavour?

Made a 1gal trial version. Y'all punching down the banana up top every few days?

Made a 1gal trial version. Y'all punching down the banana up top every few days?
instead of punching down, i gently swirl the carboy/fermenter to get some beer to splash over it and/or mix it up a bit. i do this mostly so i don't have to open up the vessel and promote oxidation. but yeah, need to do something to ensure that the stuff floating on top gets fermented and doesn't mold.

instead of punching down, i gently swirl the carboy/fermenter to get some beer to splash over it and/or mix it up a bit. i do this mostly so i don't have to open up the vessel and promote oxidation. but yeah, need to do something to ensure that the stuff floating on top gets fermented and doesn't mold.

Thanks so much! Did it in a 1gal fermenter, so it's pretty tight in there, foamy as hell. Note sure how much beer I'll get out of it, but it's smelling great. Good dose of chocolate malt. :)

Does OP or anyone have the complete recipe? I would greatly appreciate it! I've gone through the complete thread, and I'm very eager to try to brew this beer! I want make sure the timing is correct.

Does OP or anyone have the complete recipe? I would greatly appreciate it! I've gone through the complete thread, and I'm very eager to try to brew this beer! I want make sure the timing is correct.
I just bottled my first batch of Banana Rum Ale in mid December. After a couple weeks and transporting the first few bottles 18 hours south I opened a couple of bottles to share with family at Christmas. I was very impressed. The recipe is a hybrid of sorts and you are at liberty to experiment with it. 6lbs of Vienna Liquid Malt (Northern Brewer), 2 oz hallertau Hops (boil), 1 oz tettinager (finish), 1 tsp Irish moss, 1 pkg Safbrew BE-256 yeast, 5 tsp of Ghostx, in wert I added 600 ml of Rum (use your favorite I used Jersey Lady) w 5 Tahiti vanilla beans. Starting SG was 1.044 after 5 days it measured 1.01. I peeled then mashed 12 average bananas made about 3lbs 20z of banana mash I figured 1 crushed Camden tablet per pound of banana mash with 1 cup of water. Blended the banana mash covered and put in refrigerator for 24 hours. Added the Banana mix, stirred and began the wait. After two weeks I measured the beer at 1.008 SG and decided add another 12 bananas and a 8 oz of rum. 4 weeks later the SG measured 1.004. I used a collender to remove the banana chunks. I figured it was time to bottle yielding 48 bottles. When I make this again I will use a stronger Ale Malt.

Hi
Interesting ideas about banana beer, I like to make a beer with only the bitterness of the banana and that the bitterness is on the palate. It possible?

Have you tried using chlorine dioxide to sterilize the fruit? No, sodium hypochlorite.

Thank you

hola!

Interesting ideas about banana beer, I like to make a beer with only the bitterness of the banana and that the bitterness is on the palate. It possible?
i don't understand what you mean by bitterness of a banana - do you mean from the peel? or very green bananas?

Have you tried using chlorine dioxide to sterilize the fruit? No, sodium hypochlorite.
you don't need to sterilize the fruit. in the recipe and process description (first post of this thread), there is no mention of sterilization. between the freezing and the alcohol in the already-fermented beer the bananas are being added to, you should be fine without breaking out the haz mat suit required to deal with those chemicals :D

The idea is to repeat so so the sensation that a green banana leaves and then have a beer

if you want a slight clean bitterness like an unripe banana, then try changing up the hops. I think what you describe can be achieved by adding about 25 IBU of Magnum at 60 minutes and maybe 5 IBU of a "C" hop such as cascade , centennial, or comet at 20 minutes for a little "green" aroma and flavor.

Back