Haven't brewed mead in a while....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolfstar

Reaction score
So while my father in law was visiting from Connecticut, we brewed a couple. He just sold his liquor store and is going into semi retirement, so he is looking for a new hobby....brewing seemed like a great place to start.

So we brewed a "Dry Heat Wheat" recipe from the LHBS and put together 3 gallons of mead from local honey my neighbors mom (she owns an alfalfa farm) gave me.

9 pounds of raw unprocessed honey
2.25 gallons RO filtered well water
1.5 tablespoons each yeast nutrient and yeast energizer
D47
I do not pasturise the honey, basically just took water from the fridge water dispenser, mixed well, and pitched the yeast. I did use a starter for the yeast to get things moving quicker.

Its going pretty good right now, looking to pick up some more of that honey to do a 5 gallon batch. I have used it in the past and the results were excellent.

So while my father in law was visiting from Connecticut, we brewed a couple. He just sold his liquor store and is going into semi retirement, so he is looking for a new hobby....brewing seemed like a great place to start.

So we brewed a "Dry Heat Wheat" recipe from the LHBS and put together 3 gallons of mead from local honey my neighbors mom (she owns an alfalfa farm) gave me.

9 pounds of raw unprocessed honey
2.25 gallons RO filtered well water
1.5 tablespoons each yeast nutrient and yeast energizer
D47
I do not pasturise the honey, basically just took water from the fridge water dispenser, mixed well, and pitched the yeast. I did use a starter for the yeast to get things moving quicker.

Its going pretty good right now, looking to pick up some more of that honey to do a 5 gallon batch. I have used it in the past and the results were excellent.
Sounds like it will be fine. The only proviso being that you're using D47, so you need to keep the numbers down on the fermentation temperature. Keep it below 70F/21C, in the lower half of it's temperature tolerance, otherwise it's known to produce a lot of fusels, that won't/don't age out of it........

Thanks for the heads up....We have devoted the third bedroom to brewing and my (6)telescopes (sorry, astro junkie to:D)...We keep that room at 64* so hopefully it should be fine.

Latest posts

Back