What type of PID

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirty

Reaction score
Does it matter which PID i buy? Are there different types and will a cheap E-bay model serve me well enough for a short time?

Thanks

Rock Chalk

Chris

Does it matter which PID i buy? Are there different types and will a cheap E-bay model serve me well enough for a short time?

Thanks

Rock Chalk

Chris
There is a huge "depends" attached to my answer. It depends on what you are trying to do with it. A lot of the PIDs I see there are relay output not SSR. (And a lot of 'em are in °C not °F)

If you want to control a temperature for a HLT, you don't really want relay output. It's fine for controlling a refer or freezer temp.

The next issue would be: Can it control the percent of power delivered? With that feature you can control the strength of the boil. Without it, you would be boiling at full element power or you would need another device to manage it for you. (more $'s)

In my very humble opinion, please do it right the first time and don't throw money away on a temporary solution. Choose the PID that will do the job for you, the right way, from the get go.

Sorry for my rant, I just had to say it.

There is a huge "depends" attached to my answer. It depends on what you are trying to do with it. A lot of the PIDs I see there are relay output not SSR. (And a lot of 'em are in °C not °F)

If you want to control a temperature for a HLT, you don't really want relay output. It's fine for controlling a refer or freezer temp.

The next issue would be: Can it control the percent of power delivered? With that feature you can control the strength of the boil. Without it, you would be boiling at full element power or you would need another device to manage it for you. (more $'s)

In my very humble opinion, please do it right the first time and don't throw money away on a temporary solution. Choose the PID that will do the job for you, the right way, from the get go.

Sorry for my rant, I just had to say it.

Not that it is really part of the question but for completeness I would be carefull of using a PID with relay output to control a freezer like a Love/Ranco/STC1000(?) as most PIDs I have seen have either a 1A or 3A rating on the rely and a fridge/freezer would be pushing that limit :)

Yeah, most of the Cheap $20 ebay ones I have seen don't seem to have the "manual" mode to set the % power, I have seen someone suggest using a LED PWM dimmer to control the element SSR in manual mode but you would probably end up spending $10-15 with all the other bits and piece to get a more rough solution. I'm pretty (kinda) sure you can get an Auber for $40 from ebay, as PJ said: do it once and do it right.

And in regards to them only coming in celcius, get into the 21 century man; What does the body temperature of a horse have to do with brewing :D

There's nothing more frustrating than thinking your setup is working, suddenly having a part fail and then having to wait for 2-3 weeks while you arrange a replacement.

Buy an Auber first and your chance of that is lower, I'd say, and if you DO happen to get a rare defective one (I did!) then they'll swap it for a new one pretty fast!

Buy an Auber first and your chance of that is lower, I'd say, and if you DO happen to get a rare defective one (I did!) then they'll swap it for a new one pretty fast!

From the www.auberins.com website, can anyone comment on these 3 PIDs?

1. 1/32 DIN Univesal $36
2. 1/16 DIN Universal $42
3. 1/16 DIN SSR $45

From what I see
1. Cheaper but no seperate display for set value / process value,
2. More $$$ but seperate display for set value / process value,
3. More $$$ with seperate display for set value / process value and 12VDC (instead of 8VDC) SSR output but lack of relay output

Any reason you would you go for 3 over 2 (given most SSR have an input voltage range of 3-32VDC)?

And sorry Chris if I have taken over your thread :eek:

With those 3 units, I'd strongly suggest #3. The SYL-2352 is an excellent PID.

#2 - SYL-2362 is a good unit as well, but there are just a few brewers using it so the support knowledge of it on the forums is limited.

#1 - SYL-1512 does not have a manual mode. You cannot control the boil strength with it.

BTW, thay are all good products. You just need to choos the best one for what you are trying to accomplish.

With those 3 units, I'd strongly suggest #3. The SYL-2352 is an excellent PID.

#2 - SYL-2362 is a good unit as well, but there are just a few brewers using it so the support knowledge of it on the forums is limited.

#1 - SYL-1512 does not have a manual mode. You cannot control the boil strength with it.

BTW, thay are all good products. You just need to choos the best one for what you are trying to accomplish.

Are you sure #1 doesn't have a manual mode? the website says "control mode: PID, On-Off, Limit" just like the other 2.My mistake, looks like you are right after I rechecked :eek:

I have a 2362 and besides a slightly different connector layout it's pretty much the same beast as the 2352, so far.

But I'd probably do the 2352 if I started over from scratch, just to have that support network.

Model: SYL-2352 - Control mode - Fuzzy PID, Manual control, On-Off

Model: SYL-2362 - Control mode - PID, On-Off, Manual, Limit

Model: SYL-1512 - Control mode - PID, On-Off, Limit

NOTE: The SYL-1512 does not have a manual mode. That is the feature that allow you to set the % of power delivered.

One of the reasons why my choice is the SYL-2352 is that is also has fuzzy logic. It anticipates the power needed as it approaches the set temperature so that it won't over run the temp. That feature setup is all part of it's install process.

Damn PJ thats 2 for 2. Your my boy Blue. Looks like i by paying extra for the 2352. Thanks everyone for the input.

Rock Chalk

Chris

Damn PJ thats 2 for 2. Your my boy Blue. Looks like i by paying extra for the 2352. Thanks everyone for the input.

Rock Chalk

Chris
Chris,

For a few extra $'s it's worth every penny. Plus, I have lots of diagrams for it's use in electric brew control. If you come up with something different than something I've posted or you are not sure how to wire it, I'd be glad to help. If you choose a different Auber Instruments controller, I'll do that as well.

(BTW - no.. I am not affiliated with them. I just greatly respect their products and their business practices.)

P-J

Back