AM drinking...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkaBoneBenny

Reaction score
This thread basically got its inspiration from the thread in the General Techniques section about Brewing in the Morning. Basically, I'm wondering where you guys weigh in on having a beer at 8 am... after working a nightshift. I usually work Tuesdays from 8am-4pm, get some work done/eat dinner, got to band practice, and return to my job by midnight. I then work from midnight until 8am.

Now, when i get home from a long night of hauling boxes around a Godless store and stocking consumer items on the shelves, I like to stumble into my bedroom, have a beer, watch the sun rising in the sky and let my body prepare itself for sleep.

SWMBO, my GF specifically, thinks this is bizarre. She fails to grasp the idea that my biological clock has been modified by the nightshift. She argues that drinking at 8 am is always just that, drinking at 8 am.

We've had this argument several times. Does anyone care to weigh in? Does anyone else work nightshifts and do this as well?
-Ben

I work second shift now but used to work 3rd. I am with you. When you get off work your body thinks it just got off day shift.She wouldn't have a problem with you having a beer at 5pm.It is also a sleep aid,its hard to sleep during the day!!!

I work 12 hour night shifts, and it definitely messes with your biological clock. Think about it...for a million years or more we have trained our bodies to sleep at night. My problem is I go from a couple of 12 hr night shifts, have a day or so off, then back to days, off again, back to nights!
My solution for this after night shift...Sam Adams Cherry Wheat.:mug: And soon to be the HB of my choice as soon as I build up a stockpile!!
Tell your GF to stay up all night a couple nights in a row...maybe she'll change her tune.

Back in my Army days when I would have to pull 24hr duty, I would be unable to fall asleep when I got home. I learn a beer would help.

No excuse is necessary. Having a beer in the morning is simply a natural expression of your personal favorite beverage. I've done it occasionally, but I am just the kinda guy that needs something warm (coffee) or sweet (juice) in the morning.

But sometimes an IPA with a lovely citrus-sy hop boquet is just the thing.

You've just finished working, you're about to go to sleep. If she can't cope, she's the one with the issue, not you.

Over 80% of my last 27 years have been spent on the Night Shift. I've received the same rediculous looks and remarks to my enjoying a brew after work.

Wild

i have a pint or so in the morning on the weekends. it's my favorite time to drink a beer, it's quiet, everyones still asleep in my house and it can really be savored. plus it helps set the course for the day.

We have some local bars that open early for third shift workers, nothing like a bunch of drunk cops and nurses in the early AM.

Having a glass of Apfelwein right now!

At the end of working a 12 hr nightshift 7pm-7am, I get a small coffee at work for the drive home. Then, if SWMBO is up I'll stay up with her for an hour or 2. If she is sleeping or has gone to work, I'll have a beer to go to sleep on.

Also, drinking a warm flay beer is a great way to help your hangover!

No problems with it here. When you wake up around 3 or 4 in the afternoon do you have one then? Cuz, i have no problem with that either.:tank:

Normally I rarely drink before noon, or even before 5, but this summer on vacation up dere' in da Northwoods in this great little greasy spoon restaurant/bar I learned the joy of having a Leinenkugel's (original) with a Weedbed (hashbrowns topped with sausage patties topped with scrambled eggs topped with melted cheese) at 8AM.
Someone ordered a Bloody Mary, but I don't like em, so I thought 'what the hell, I'm on vacation' and ordered the beer.
Breakfast of the Gods!!

So having a beer at that time when you're still up, not just getting up sounds perfectly normal to me.

Having a beer after work is perfectly acceptable, regardless of the time. When I work nights, I usually crack a cold one when I get home. I've been known to wake up to a nice stout or porter for breakfast on the weekends as well.

The way I see it is if I've been up for 3 or 4 hours, it doesn't matter what time it is. Back in the college days, I used to deliver bread in the Sacramento Area and one of my stops was the Rubicon Brewing Co. The brewer there always had a beer in hand when I arrived... at 7am.

Back in the college days, I used to deliver bread in the Sacramento Area and one of my stops was the Rubicon Brewing Co. The brewer there always had a beer in hand when I arrived... at 7am.

Ha! Was it for you or for him?
-Ben

Be true to yourself. Don't let anyone tell you when and when not to drink. I see all these silly instances that are supposed to be "indicators of alcoholism", like drinking in the morning, etc., but I don't buy the idea that there is a specific action that classifies you as an alky. My litmus test is pretty simple (if a little subjective): if it's negatively affecting your life, then it's probably not good, and might even be alcoholism. Having a drink in the morning doesn't mean a damn thing. Plenty of uppity brunchgoers seem to be doing alright with their OJ and Bubbly...I wouldn't concern yourself with it.

Having a pint while unwinding for bed is OK in my book, regardless of when bed time is. Has she ever done night shifts? When I was doing rotating 12 hours shifts at nuc prototype, beer is all that kept me alive.

I work shift work also, I always have beer before I go to bed. And even when I'm not working, When I'm at the deer lease BloodyMary's in the morning then beer all day.

t1master said:
i have a pint or so in the morning on the weekends. it's my favorite time to drink a beer, it's quiet, everyones still asleep in my house and it can really be savored. plus it helps set the course for the day.

I can relate to that. I have a beer when I want to and if I feel I want one as soon as I get up then I will. There is a difference between having a beer as a beverage and getting loaded, and as Evan has said as long as it it don't negatively affect your life or those around you then who should complain?

when i get up at 5:30 am on a saturday to start brewing you betcha i'm pulling on the taps

I personnaly think there's nothing better than getting a little buzz on weekend mornings. When I go back home and visit my family, about once a month, my dad, brother and I always get together about 8 or 9am to stand around, BSing and drink 5 or 6 beers.

Then we eat lunch, mabye take a little nap, then drink the night away! It calls for a good relaxing Saturday with the ones you love the most...family!

When I went to Germany a few years ago my friend and I decided to get some breakfast one morning in Bonn before we left for Bamberg that day. We found this cool little place on the Rhein river and stopped in for breakfast.

On the menu were 3 different breakfast specials all with a different beer to match the food.

It was pretty badass drinkin beer having breakfast on the Rhein before at 8 or 9 am before getting on a train for the day.

Those Germans sure know how to do it.

Why should the time of day dictate if you have a beer. I kind of think it has to do with what you have to do after you have the beer. It might be better to ask if it is OK to have a few beers before you go to work, or head out on a long road trip. But just because the sun is in the east doesn't mean having a beer is bad.

Brewpastor said:
But just because the sun is in the east doesn't mean
having a beer is bad.

I just had this image of Stonehenge. "Rejoice! The sun has reached the fifth column! We can consume the BarleyWater"

cue flute music and funny dancing.

olllllo said:
I just had this image of Stonehenge. "Rejoice! The sun has reached the fifth column! We can consume the BarleyWater"

cue flute music and funny dancing.

LMAO

"Mulog, we banish you from the circle of life for you have broken the sacred law concerning the drinking of barley water before the sun reaches the 5th column!"

Ok just go back from a morning run along the Rio Salado River bottom.

Had a granola bar and a glass of Milk Stout.
It's my all-grain breakfast.

Well, it's 10:30 am and I just had a root beer ale. When you get up at 5 a.m., 10:30 is lunch time.

Same here long time nurse and after long hours in the Emergency room we would either head to the bar for "Happy Hour" at 8am or to the gas station and get a six pack. Funny looks but hell I didnt care. We worked all night and the was my afternoon for a brew. My father in law also worked trick work and there were many bars near his work that were open at 8am for happy hour. Nothing worng with it at all.

I usually work 5pm-3am bartending, and I usually have a beer or two when I get home, before going to sleep at 5am. I really don't think there's anything at all wrong with it. Whatever time the end of your shift is, that's when it's time to relax, and having a beer is perfect for that.

brewhead said:
when i get up at 5:30 am on a saturday to start brewing you betcha i'm pulling on the taps

spoken like a true champ! Then done and passed out in the hammock by noon :mug:

Drinking at night before work is not cool, however drinking after work is cool. In your case that is 8AM.

Remember the old Orange Juice saying?

"Orange Juice isn't just for breakfast anymore!!"​
Flip it around

Beer isn't just an evening drink any more.... :D

Do you have pizza & beer for breakfast??

Want to have a F'ed up body clock? . . .I've worked 24 hour shifts for the last 11 years, and it's not uncommon for me to be awake for the whole 24 hours minus a short cat nap or 2. The way I see it is on days after I work if I have had a ugly shift I have absolutely NO problem comming home and having a beer or 2 before I finaly get to go to bed. Most people get home from work between 5pm and 7pm (being very general here), do their thing and go to bed. If I get home at 8am do my thing and go to bed whats the difference?

Well I just got home from an 9 hour overnight shift... I am now enjoying an Otter Creek Stovepipe Porter, guilt free. And it is goddamned delicious. Now, off to bed! Thanks for all the feedback.
-Ben

I'm an internet developer and I work from my living room, its not normal, but maybe once or twice a week I'll have a beer while working, maybe once a month I'll have two. I mean, it helps me not get so tense writing lines and lines of ridiculous code.

In Edinburgh there is a pub called Posties which is behind the main sorting office. It opens at 4am. There is also a pub which opens at 5am with a disco going.

If I go fishing we normally crack a can when we get the boat in the water (about 6 or 7am) sets you up for the rest of the day.

Back