Cleaning and sanitizing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hudsonj6

Reaction score
I did some searching and haven't really found the exact answer to my question. For cleaning I have some pink stuff (not sure the exact name of it but I know is a chlorine based cleaner and sanitizer if you let it sit long enough) and metabisulfite for sanitizing. My first batch I cleaned and sanitized everything before use and then after brewing I cleaned my equipment again (with the pink stuff). I was just wondering if for future brews do I need to use the pink stuff to clean the equipment again and then sanitize or would it be okay to just give everything a quick rinse and then sanitize it? I cleaned and sanitized prior to my second batch which can't really hurt anything by being super clean but I'm just wondering if the cleaning twice (after use and then again prior to brewing) is necessary?
Thanks

If the pink stuff is: Sanibrew?Diversol/RJ Spagnols pink powder then it does everything. Normally I used bleach as a cleaner/disinfectant all in one, but have switched to this "pink powder" with various names as it cleans a little stronger. If that IS what you have, then just clean whatever you have with your bare hands/clean cloth and hot water, then soak in this for 20 min or up to 2 days, then rinse and use.

The confusion results from using "cleaners" for wine or dishes that arent meant for beer. Yje pink powder or bleach will clean/sanitize in one step. Myself I always wait 2 days if it is stained and really dirty. If it looks clean, then just 20 min. Use the same stuff in either situation as liquid or powdered bleach does the job. Mind you I have scratched up plastic containers that could hold bacteria if not using the proper procedure and chems

You clean to remove debris. You sanitize to knock down bacteria. If you have debris, clean it, rinse it, then sanitize. If you have no debris, then rinse and sanitize.

i also just recently heard that you should rinse with cold water? Anyone else do this? The thought being is that more bacteria can live in warm water. I guess it doesn't matter a whole lot if you sanitize afterwards, but it can save on the water heater.

I am down to 1/2 oz of StarSan. I am starting into kegging. My first attempt is using pin-lock Corny kegs.

I have friend who used to spray a little diluted StarSan onto his pin-locks before attaching his lines. He had a recyled cleaner spray bottle he used.

Does anyone else do this?

Is there a better product for this ritual?

Attachments

• 20220905_214219.jpg
    20220905_214219.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Holy resurrected thread, Batman!

If you haven't cleaned those kegs before, I would recommend taking them apart and soaking in PBW, then rinse, then Star San thoroughly before putting beer into them. Once they're cleaned and Star Sanned feel free to spray the pin locks and QDs with Star San before attaching the QDs. It certainly won't hurt anything, and it actually makes it easier to connect and disconnect as it acts like a lubricant.

I took the kegs apart and soaked them with PBW in 5 gallon buckets, over half full, top and bottom. I removed the pin locks and soaked them in PBW also. I replaced all the o-rings with new.

I also did a good rinse with StarSan before flling them.

Back