How easy is it to oxidize my beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Berlbrew

Reaction score
The other day I was transferring my Milk Stout to a secondary and all of the sudden my auto-siphon started spewing bubbles that were seemingly coming from nowhere. I think the rubber ring around the piece that fits inside the larger tube was loose and it was sucking air from the top of the siphon somehow. It's still kind of a mystery, but the point is that the Milk Stout flowing through the siphon got blasted with some pretty serious air bubbles. It didn't happen the entire time but in a few random bursts so my question is what is the actual risk of oxidization? Would some air bubbles in the siphon during transfer cause oxidization? I certainly hope not but input is welcome.

From my experience, it's pretty hard to oxidize beer. I've even had the same thing happen as you did and kept the beer for over a year with no noticeable effects. I don't think you'll have a problem.

That happens to me all the time, you just gotta learn to watch for it and pinch the tubing when the siphon starts. Like the previous poster said though, it's VERY hard to oxidize your beer. You mainly don't wanna be splashing it around post-boil but pre-chilling. I've had all sorts of accidents happened with my beer splashing as I've transferred it and never really had an issue with oxidation. I think the only oxidized beer I've ever had was the first beer I ever did, a Nut Brown, after drinking it over a year later...it didn't taste too grand.

Oxidation is only an issue if you're going to be storing (cellaring) your beer for very long periods. At the rate at which most homebrewers consume their beer....usually under six months.....it's a non-issue.

Back