I'd add wyeast 1318 to the "need a blow off" list

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jigidyjim

Reaction score
I thought I'd only use a airlock on my 6-gal carboy, but last night I saw the fermentation reaching the top of the carboy after about 24 hrs of fermentation. I switched to a blow off, and when i checked back today (after 48 hours) there was tons of stuff in the blow off tube.

Anyway, I've had blow offs like this with wheat beers, but this is the first I've had for non-wheat (about 6 batches). Just thought I'd post this in case anyone searches on 1318 London Ale III in the future.

I'll probably just always do blow off from now on.

Usually is a safe practice to use a blowoff for the first 3 days. Especially if your og is above .070 and you've used a starter. Doesn't matter the strain of yeast. What matters is the sugar and viability and amount of yeast.

I'm still a newbie, but I have always used a blowoff for primary then switched to a bubbler airlock for secondary.
I use the large bore tubing that fits directly into the carboy neck that came with my NB deluxe kit. I took a one gallon pickle jar, cut a hole in the lid, and use it for the blow off water container- I use star-san.

I haven't had a blow off yet, but.......
Pez.

Back