Ever try this repair?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Holmesbrewer

Reaction score
Tried a Modelo Negra batch last night. (AG).
When I was finished, the gravity was way higher than expected (1.061 compared to the correct 1.047).
As I looked thru my stuff, I reallized I had twice the Munich than I had intended.
This was supposed to be a 4 1/2- 5% ABV.
Question is can I help the goof up by adding (pre-boiled and cooled)water to my batch? I dont know what that will do to it, post boil post yeast.
Of course that would mess up my hop schedule, too. So would a hop addition to the water boil correct it?
Anyone ever tried?

I did it with a recent batch, except that I boiled off a lot more than I thought I would, topped up with boiled, cooled water, before pitching yeast. Time will tell... I had to add about 3/4 gallon, in a 5.5 gallon batch.

It will work. If you add a gallon of water, that would get you in the ballpark. Don't know what your target IBUs were, but most people can't detect a 7 IBU change. So, if the target IBUs were under 40, you probably wouldn't notice the dilution. Personally, I'd boil a small amount of the flavor hop for 15 minutes in the water.

That's what I was thinking. I tinkered with it on BeerSmith and settled on a .5 gallon addition, as it was a small batch anyway.
I guess it doesn't matter too much when I add it?
Its 3 days in the primary now, I thought I might add the hopped up water into the secondary and rack on top.
Thanks for the confirmation.

Latest posts

Back