Big Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KeyWestBrewing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Who all is participating in the AHA Big Brew and what are you brewing?

Our club is brewing 12gal of an American Amber and I'll be brewing up 6gal of either an APA or an IPA.

having a brew day at my house with my parents and in-laws, along with my wife they all bought me my first kit/equipment last year so I'm going to show them how to brew!

I'll hopefully be brewing with my neighbor as it will be his first brew..gonna do a brown ale or a porter.

There was a big event here in Michigan at the Rochester Mills Production Brewery. Well over a hundred brewers. I brewed 10 gallons of belgian dubbel. The brewery got Briess and Hop Union (maybe other companies?) to sponsor the event and everybody got a limited variety of grains and hops for free. Pretty awesome event. It was my first time, but I'll definitely be back next year. :mug:

My club has an annual camp out. I'm not camping. Sleeping in a tent 20 minutes from my house doesn't really appeal to me. I'll be hanging out though and plan on brewing if I'm motivated enough to get everything in the car. Was thinking I'd try something new, but I'll probably end up doing a saison or BdG of some sort. I generally dislike black saisons, so maybe I'll give that a shot.

Hangin out at home brewing up 5 gallons of blonde ale. Thinking of adding a fruit to it, but not sure what. Suggestions?

USMCBrewer said:
Hangin out at home brewing up 5 gallons of blonde ale. Thinking of adding a fruit to it, but not sure what. Suggestions?

I've been wanting to brew a blonde or cream ale and add lemon zest. Nothing too crazy and that's really not adding fruit, but I think it would have just enough presence to make things more interesting.

My brew club is participating in the Big Brew. I'm brewing the Pointon's Proper recipe.

Unfortunately I'll be camping with family and none of them are into brewing. It would be way too much work to bring all my stuff out there, plus I don't really want to deal with transporting a full fermenter back.

Oh yeah, also remembered that the LHBS is doing brewing demonstrations all day on the 4th. I wonder if they'll have any to taste?

ktblunden said:
Unfortunately I'll be camping with family and none of them are into brewing. It would be way too much work to bring all my stuff out there, plus I don't really want to deal with transporting a full fermenter back.

I totally understand not wanting to do that. I just got back from camping for 5 days at the Wanee Music Festival and I couldn't imagine trying to brew and take care of a carboy full of beer.

I'm planning on brewing with my family and thinking about either a saison or cream ale

signpost said:
There was a big event here in Michigan at the Rochester Mills Production Brewery. Well over a hundred brewers. I brewed 10 gallons of belgian dubbel. The brewery got Briess and Hop Union (maybe other companies?) to sponsor the event and everybody got a limited variety of grains and hops for free. Pretty awesome event. It was my first time, but I'll definitely be back next year. :mug:

I did this as well. Brewed a hoppy wheat. Rochester mills said it was a world record. Not sure but was 100 brewers and almost 1,000 gallons.

I'm planning on brewing with my family and thinking about either a saison or cream ale

I've been wanting to brew a cream ale with saison yeast. Pils, corn, sugar, US hops like crystal or wilamette and a saison yeast. 1.040 ish 30 ish IBU.

I did this as well. Brewed a hoppy wheat. Rochester mills said it was a world record. Not sure but was 100 brewers and almost 1,000 gallons.

So, this is some video of the event I mentioned. It was the biggest brew day I've ever experienced. But for the official AHA big brew day, I don't think I'll have any open fermenters. :(

If I kick this keg and do some transferring, I might be able to brew up a batch. I have the ingredients sitting around waiting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Should be 8 or 10 brews going with my club tomorrow. I'm brewing a hoppy black saison, or maybe a farmhouse black IPA. Sounds stupid either way. Kind of a kitchen sink beer, but I know what I'm going for. A friend gave me about 2oz each topaz and galaxy, shooting for around 60 ibu with the topaz early/whirpool and the galaxy late/whirpool. Pils base, some midnight wheat, flaked for some body, pinch of dark caramel malt, saison brett blend.

TNGabe said:
Should be 8 or 10 brews going with my club tomorrow. I'm brewing a hoppy black saison, or maybe a farmhouse black IPA. Sounds stupid either way. Kind of a kitchen sink beer, but I know what I'm going for. A friend gave me about 2oz each topaz and galaxy, shooting for around 60 ibu with the topaz early/whirpool and the galaxy late/whirpool. Pils base, some midnight wheat, flaked for some body, pinch of dark caramel malt, saison brett blend.

That sounds like a really interesting beer. Wonder how that's gonna turn out.

Thought about doing the Big Brew at my favorite LHBS (Brew Brothers in Hillsboro, Oregon), but I am pretty much a committed solo brewer. I am, however, going to brew a Red Chair NWPA clone at home tomorrow, by myself. Okay, not really alone, but with the one surviving bad dog from 2 Bad Dogs Brewing. Oh, and my loving wife will be here, happy that I am amusing myself and staying out of trouble!

going to fire up the burners in about 90 minutes once the family arrive, can't wait to get at it!

Spent the day at the LHBS as they hosted the event. Bunches of brewers and I think all together about 80 or so gallons, I brewed a German Hefe, lots of fun!

Stopped by the LHBS. They had a couple homebrew clubs doing some brewing in the parking lot. I didn't count, but there had to be about a dozen setups. I'd be curious how many batches were brewed. Anyway, I picked up a replacement liquid disconnect for my keg and some PBW. No open fermenters = no brewing today. Maybe next weekend.

I brewed a 5 gallon Belgian blonde. Had a couple buddies over to help. It was my first BIAB, went surprisingly well. It was a lot of fun knowing there were hundreds, thousands possibly brewing at the same time. Can't wait to participate again next year. Though hopefully it will take place at the future site of my nano I'm working towards getting going.

I brewed up a split batch of stout and stout (cherry puree to be added). I brewed at the LHBS (Brew Brothers). I think there were in the neighborhood of 40 rigs there, and I'd guess somewhere around 350gallons were brewed that day. Great success!!

Back