Winter Seasonal Beer Harpoon Winter Warmer Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

specialized

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Partial Mash
Yeast
Wyeast London ESB
Yeast Starter
Nah
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21 days @ 66
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21 days
Tasting Notes
Malt perfectly in line with bitterness.
I based this recipe on a Brewyourown recipe. I changed the quantity of ingredients but still managed to hit the numbers.

This is a really delightful fall/winter beer. Malt is in line with the bitterness. The color is beautiful, I recommend cold crashing this one to remove haze. Also adding a bit extra cinnamon at serving time adds a nice touch. The spices hit the nose at first but you get a slight taste of them at the end. This has become a great beer with age and I plan on making it again next year.

Steep specialty grains for 30–45 minutes at 154 °F (68 °C)
Get a second pot to 165 °F (74 °C) in a large kitchen pot for steeping water.
After steeping, remove bag and let drip dry for a minute. Then add steeping water and dried malt extract to brewpot. Bring to a boil, add hops and boil for 60 minutes. With 15 minutes left in the boil, add Irish moss and liquid malt extract, stirring well to ensure it dissolves completely. After primary is finished, rack to secondary and add spices.

If I would change anything I would slightly bump up the cinnamon and nutmeg amounts. I did 1/4 tsp cinnamon and 1/8 tsp nutmeg in the secondary but feel like the beer could use double the amount. Also it was difficult to mix the spices in secondary so be sure to dissolve in water beforehand.

Harpoon Winter Warmer Clone - American Amber Ale
================================================================================
Batch Size: 5.000 gal
Boil Size: 5.750 gal
Boil Time: 1.000 hr
Efficiency: 70%
OG: 1.056
FG: 1.017
ABV: 5.0%
Bitterness: 26.4 IBUs (Tinseth)
Color: 19 SRM (Morey)

Fermentables
================================================================================
Name Type Amount Mashed Late Yield Color
Light Dry Extract Dry Extract 2.000 lb No No 95% 8 L
Pale Liquid Extract Extract 3.330 lb No No 78% 8 L
Pale Malt (2 Row) US Grain 8.000 oz Yes No 79% 2 L
Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L Grain 2.000 lb No No 74% 80 L
Cara-Pils/Dextrine Grain 8.000 oz No No 72% 2 L
Total grain: 8.330 lb

Hops
Name Alpha Amount Use Time Form IBU
Cluster 6.2% 1.250 oz Boil 1.000 hr Pellet 26.4

Misc
Name Type Use Amount Time
Cinnamon Spice Secondary 0.500 tsp 0.000 s
Nutmeg Other Secondary 0.250 tsp 0.000 s

Yeast
Name Type Form Amount Stage
Wyeast - London ESB Ale Ale Liquid 0.528 cup Primary

IMG_5518.jpg

IMG_5519.jpg

IMG_5523.jpg

I was at the bar earlier this week and Harpoon Winter Warmer was on tap, decided to give it a try. Wow has that beer changed, and not for the better. Tasted like bubblegum, not like what I remember it being when I tried it a few years ago.

That being said, this clone recipe is based off of the good old days, when the taste of cinnamon and nutmeg were present. Give it a shot if you’re up to it, but don’t let Harpoons current iteration of their winter warmer scare you away. It doesn’t taste anything like it.

I am looking at doing this in All grain and i want to bump the alcohol up to 6% by adding more 2 row. How would this affect flavor? What are some of my options. PS I am new to All Grain :)

I am looking at doing this in All grain and i want to bump the alcohol up to 6% by adding more 2 row. How would this affect flavor? What are some of my options. PS I am new to All Grain :)

The recipe below will get you a 6% abv. But I'm not sure how it will taste. Really I just took away the Malt Extracts and increased the 2-row. Not sure how that will compare with the original. I don't have any experience with all grain, so check other recipes to see typical grain bills. I would guess that it needs some sort of flavoring grain in there as well...

HWW AG
Batch Size: 5.001 gal
Boil Size: 6.200 gal
Boil Time: 0.000 s
Efficiency: 70%%
OG: 1.067
FG: 1.021
ABV: 6.0%%
Bitterness: 24.2 IBUs (Tinseth)
Color: 17 SRM (Morey)

Fermentables
Name Type Amount Mashed Late Yield Color
Pale Malt (2 Row) US Grain 12.000 lb Yes No 79%% 2 L
Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L Grain 2.000 lb No No 74%% 80 L
CaraPils malt Grain 8.000 oz Yes No 70%% 2 L
Total grain: 14.500 lb

Hops
Cluster 6.2%% 1.250 oz Boil 1.000 hr Pellet 24.2

Yeast

Hops
Cluster 6.2%% 1.250 oz Boil 1.000 hr Pellet 26.8

Yeast

I brewed the BYO extract version of this back in October. It has been in bottles for about 2.5 weeks now. I tried one at the 2 week mark and the flavor seemed on track, the aroma was off. I may have dry-spiced incorrectly as it was my first time doing anything but dry-hopping. I just dumped ground cinnamon and nutmeg in secondary and crossed my fingers. I realize now I probably should have gone with cinnamon sticks and coarsely ground my own nutmeg or something like that.

Either way, I thought I had infected it due to little floaters that appeared in secondary. Almost like little boogers that sat near the surface. They never clumped into something larger. I am hoping more time in the bottle smooths out the bitter edge on the end of the flavor but this was a first try and an extract so I am not expecting a home run, just something I can hand out to family to keep the Holiday Gift bill down.

This one does take a little longer to mellow out. The floaties are the cinnamon and nutmeg, they don't dissolve, just sort of sit there on the top. However their flavors do disperse throughout the beer. Give it some time and let me know how it turns out. The bitterness is probably from the hops though, check your notes and see if you had the right alpha% or if you added too much.

I too made it again this year following the same recipe I originally posted. I personally don't notice a strong bitter after-bite. Mine's still carbing in the keg, but I'll update when it's completely ready.

Here's another picture I took from the original batch. Finally got to uploading it, some 2 years later.

IMG_5758.jpg

I am going to attempt this beer this weekend, but this is the first time I'll be adding spices on the transition from primary to secondary. Are you just using plain old McCormick spice and dumping them in the secondary and then transferring the beer? Or should I be buying real nutmeg and cinnamon sticks and grind them up? or throw them in whole? Just don't want to wait over 2 months for a poorly made beer lol. I am going shopping for the list of stuff I need today and just want to make sure I get everything I need.

First time I used McCormick ground cinnamon and freshly ground nutmeg. This time around I just used McCormick ground cinnamon and already ground nutmeg.

I'd be wary of adding whole cinnamon sticks in. I'd be afraid that it would become too spiced. Remember a lot goes a long way; .5tsp for cinnamon for 5 gallons and you will be able to taste it.

did the nutmeg being fresh ground or McCormick change the taste at all? Which way would you recommend?

I taste more of a nutmeg flavor in the pre-ground. Reason being (I think) is that when I ground it the grinds were crumb sized. Pre-ground is much finer, I'm guessing which disperses the flavor more. Either way it came out great. I'd say go with whichever you have on hand.

I just noticed my local brew shop doesn't have Wyeast, would whitelabs London Ale be the same as Wyeast London ESB Ale yeast?(last question I promise lol)

I just noticed my local brew shop doesn't have Wyeast, would whitelabs London Ale be the same as Wyeast London ESB Ale yeast?(last question I promise lol)

Haha, happy to help.

Those two strains should be close enough. I say go for it!

Harpoon Winter Warmer
All Grain - turned out fantastic. Will be an every winter brew, probably would keep making it in October to give it time to mellow in terms of spices and alcohol, though there wasn't any alcohol warmness the first time I made it.

Selected Style and Target Specs
21B-Spice, Herb Or Vegetable Beer-Christmas/Winter Speciality Spiced Beer

Minimum OG: 0.000 SG Maximum OG: 0.000 SG
Minimum FG: 0.000 SG Maximum FG: 0.000 SG
Minimum IBU: 0 IBU Maximum IBU: 0 IBU
Minimum Color: 0.0 SRM Maximum Color: 0.0 SRM

Recipe Overview
Wort Volume Before Boil: 6.34 US gals Wort Volume After Boil: 5.81 US gals
Volume Transferred: 5.28 US gals Water Added To Fermenter: 0.0 qts
Volume At Pitching: 5.28 US gals Volume Of Finished Beer: 5.02 US gals
Expected Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.054 SG Expected OG: 1.059 SG
Expected FG: 1.019 SG Apparent Attenuation: 66.5 %
Expected ABV: 5.3 % Expected ABW: 4.1 %
Expected IBU: (using Tinseth): 26.8 IBU Expected Color: (using Morey): 16.9 SRM
BU:GU ratio: 0.45 Approx Color:
Mash Efficiency: 70.0 %
Boil Duration: 60.0 mins
Fermentation Temperature: 64 ˚F

Fermentables
Ingredient Amount % MCU When
US 2 Row Malt 11lb 0oz 81.5 % 3.4 In Mash/Steeped
US Caramel 80L Malt 1lb 8oz 11.1 % 20.7 In Mash/Steeped
US Caramel 120L Malt 8.00 oz 3.7 % 10.3 In Mash/Steeped
US Carapils Malt 8.00 oz 3.7 % 0.1 In Mash/Steeped

Hops
Variety Alpha Amount IBU Form When
US Cluster 7.5 % 1.25 oz 26.8 Bagged Pellet Hops 60 Min From End

Other Ingredients
Ingredient Amount When
Allspice 0.25 oz In Fermenter
Nutmeg 0.01 oz In Fermenter

Yeasts
Yeast Strain Amount Used
White Labs WLP002-English Ale

Mash Schedule
Mash Type: Full Mash
Schedule Name: Single Step Infusion (68C/154F)

Step Type Temperature Duration
Rest at 154 ˚F 60

Recipe Notes
next time, soak spices in rum, or some alcoholic drink (small amount) before adding to the fermenter; secondary it, then add it the next day or so. had a little mold grow after several weeks in the secondary just next to the floating seasoning islands.

fantastic beer. not a great head retention, but bottled off the keg for 1st time. smooth smooth. no alcohol warmness, consider going up on ABV next time. spices were perfect, very mild and chill but present. make each year no matter what.

Hi all, I know this post is a decade old, but hoping someone can answer a question for me. I'm brewing this beer, but I don't rack to a secondary, and I keg. When is the best time to add the spices?
- Into the fermenter with my yeast
- after fermenting is mostly complete but before kegging
- when kegging
I'm thinking these are the only options but maybe I'm missing something? And depending on when I add them, is it better to use a spice bag or dissolve in water or make a tincture (which I've never done so advice there is welcome)

Thanks!

A tincture at kegging would be easiest to dose with the least guesswork. Pour a measured volume of beer, say 2 or 4oz. Dose that with however many drops or ml of tincture until it tastes the way you want it. Multiply up to the full batch. Add maybe half of that. What tastes good in one sip might not be great in a full pint. Better to undershoot than have a spice bomb.

Back