Grain Storage?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

claphamsa

Professional Jezter PWNZR
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Where does everyone store their grain? How long is it ok to keep in one of the unopened grain bags it comes in (55Lb bag)?

Once you open it how do you store it? I got a whole heap of cheap buckets from Home Depot to fill, do i need to line them? What should I line them with?

That being said its nice looking in my basment and seeing 20 bags or grain :D

If you were going to store the grain for years and years, some say it needs a mylar liner. However, I have seen grain that was stored for twenty years in unlined plastic buckets that was just fine.

There is a special lid called "gamma lid". It fits a 5 gallon bucket and screws on and off for easy access:

gamma_seal_lid.jpeg

A lot of homebrewers seem to use those large pet food containers for bulk grain storage. They are designed for "grain" (most dry pet food is mostly grain) and have screw on lids for easy access.

url

I tend to use my malt up as soon as I get it, so storage hasn't been an issue. I need to get in on some bulk purchases to save a few bucks.

As long as your basement is cool and dry (and vermin-free), you shouldn't have issue storing in the sacks.

For 10-15 pound lots, I use plastic buckets from Sam's Club/WalMart/my local grocery store. Just ask the bakery- they'll give you as many as you need for free.

As long as your basement is cool and dry (and vermin-free), you shouldn't have issue storing in the sacks.

For 10-15 pound lots, I use plastic buckets from Sam's Club/WalMart/my local grocery store. Just ask the bakery- they'll give you as many as you need for free.

Yeah, those icing buckets are nice and not too hard to clean out.

I keep mine in packs (up to 5 or 6lbs each), vacuum sealed, in a big storage container in a closet. Getting a whole bag of grain portioned out at first is a real chore, but it's easy to find what I'm looking for as all the packs are marked with weight and grain type and I can keep them all in the same container.

Back