MoreBeer Vs. AHBS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewers 2-Row Malt Unmilled 40 lb $47.99 AHS
American 2-row (Briess) 50lbs $47.95 Midwest
Rahr 2-Row 50# $41.99 Northern Brewer
2-row Brewers Malt 50# $45.95 High Gravity Homebrew Supply
American Pale (50 lb Sack) $33.00 MoreBeer

Now that I have done my homework, tell me what Kind of deal you are really cutting here?
None of these other establishments have a problem selling 50 lb sacks, why is it so different?
What I see going on here is that you are trying to profit an extra sack out of every 4 sacks you sell.
What I am saying try and sell the 50# sacks and see how many you would sell in todays market....

Forest i have been doing business with you for a number of years, the only thing I am disapointed about are the grain prices. and you guys need to close the gap a little on your mill.

You are getting flat rate shipping, I presume there may be some cost rolled up into the sack of grain. Bad for you if you live close, but great for the guy in Massachusets who can get 6.99 shipping across the country.

Brewers 2-Row Malt Unmilled 40 lb $47.99 AHS
American 2-row (Briess) 50lbs $47.95 Midwest
Rahr 2-Row 50# $41.99 Northern Brewer
2-row Brewers Malt 50# $45.95 High Gravity Homebrew Supply
American Pale (50 lb Sack) $33.00 MoreBeer

Now that I have done my homework, tell me what Kind of deal you are really cutting here?
None of these other establishments have a problem selling 50 lb sacks, why is it so different?
What I see going on here is that you are trying to profit an extra sack out of every 4 sacks you sell.
What I am saying try and sell the 50# sacks and see how many you would sell in todays market....

Forest i have been doing business with you for a number of years, the only thing I am disapointed about are the grain prices. and you guys need to close the gap a little on your mill.

Did you receive my message to you?

You are not comparing the real delivered price.

NB, MW, B3 are all about $143 to deliver 100lb. of Rahr 2-row to you. $1.43 per pound
My price for 120 lbs. is $150.96
$1.26 per pound.

Forrest

You are getting flat rate shipping, I presume there may be some cost rolled up into the sack of grain. Bad for you if you live close, but great for the guy in Massachusets who can get 6.99 shipping across the country.

Why is it bad for him when I am saving him money over just about any homebrew store? Of all his options I have the better price for him. You have to admit that.

Forrest

I think he knows he is getting it delievered cheaper... he is erked because he is paying more for the "grain" than he is elsewhere. He would like your "grain" price to be in line with thiers, AND get flat rate shipping.

I admit it is cheaper... what I mean is that is that they guy on the east coast is getting a better "value", because he is saving about $40 in shipping. Does that make sense?

Yes I did, and in a way I do save some money.
But When I brew every weekend that extra 10 lbs per sack is needed.
out of 50 batches I have done this year (I have 5 adults living in my house) there would be 10 of them I would have done for close to free had I gotten 50# sacks.

I see your point here Forest, but I think that you fail to see mine.

From High Gravity homebrew Supply my shipping is only $25.00 because they are only 6 hours away from me.

I think he knows he is getting it delievered cheaper... he is erked because he is paying more for the "grain" than he is elsewhere. He would like your "grain" price to be in line with thiers, AND get flat rate shipping.

I admit it is cheaper... what I mean is that is that they guy on the east coast is getting a better "value", because he is saving about $40 in shipping. Does that make sense?

The total price for the grain including shipping (what really matters when comparing prices) is cheaper than any of his options. He is saving at least 16 cents a pound. The price is in line. It is better thatn in line if it saves him money. It is a better value to someone in Texas as well as the east or west coast.

Forrest

Yes I did, and in a way I do save some money.
But When I brew every weekend that extra 10 lbs per sack is needed.
out of 50 batches I have done this year there would be 10 of them I would have done for close to free had I gotten 50# sacks.

I see your point here Forest, but I think that you fail to see mine.

So you don't want a cheaper price per pound you just want 50 pound increments? I thought price was what everyone is talking about.

The 40 pound boxes ship better than the 50 pound bags. Looking at sales numbers the 40pound option is extremely popular.

Forrest

I guess what I am saying is this... it costs more than 6.99 to ship #40 of grain to Mass.

You are running a business, not a charity.

Therefore logic would dictate that some of the cost of shipping that grain has been added back into the #40 of grain.

If I come into your store and buy that #40 of grain, I am also paying for that shipping cost that is rolled into it, even though it isnt being shipped.

The guy in Mass. is getting a great price all the way around, because you have flat rate shipping, and what shipping cost there is rolled into the cost of the #40 sack of grain is not enough to eat up his savings in shipping, making it more of a value.

Say you add $10 to the cost of the #40 sack of grain to offset the fact that you only charge 6.99 to ship it. If I come into your store to buy the sack, I am still paying that $10, not a good "value" if you will.

The guy in Mass. is essentially paying that $10 that is rolled into the cost of the sack of grain, plus 6.99... so 16.99 over the cost of the grain itself... which is a great value seeing as though regular shipping would be $50.

Morebeer doesnt offer FREE shipping... that cost is spread throughout thier products as a mark up... they arent a charity either, logic dictates that they arent paying for my shipping, they are making it up elsewhere.

The trick is finding the shop with a combination of the lowest shipping cost and cost for goods. Generally different shops will be better on price on hops, grain, equipment... etc. No one has the best price and shipping on ALL items.

Delivered price IS what matters, so again, AHS delivered prices are extremely competitive on buk grain to my ZIP. The only way I can save an appreciable ammount is to go 10 miles to my LHBS and pick up a sack... and that isnt really a fair comparison.

My question is, could you offer the 50lb sacks with the $10.00 Surcharge?
You could put it in a box (with less peanuts in the Box :D )
Maybe test market the idea.

I guess what I am saying is this... it costs more than 6.99 to ship #40 of grain to Mass.

You are running a business, not a charity.

Therefore logic would dictate that some of the cost of shipping that grain has been added back into the #40 of grain.

If I come into your store and buy that #40 of grain, I am also paying for that shipping cost that is rolled into it, even though it isnt being shipped.

The guy in Mass. is getting a great price all the way around, because you have flat rate shipping, and what shipping cost there is rolled into the cost of the #40 sack of grain is not enough to eat up his savings in shipping, making it more of a value.

Say you add $10 to the cost of the #40 sack of grain to offset the fact that you only charge 6.99 to ship it. If I come into your store to buy the sack, I am still paying that $10, not a good "value" if you will.

The guy in Mass. is essentially paying that $10 that is rolled into the cost of the sack of grain, plus 6.99... so 16.99 over the cost of the grain itself... which is a great value seeing as though regular shipping would be $50.

Morebeer doesnt offer FREE shipping... that cost is spread throughout thier products as a mark up... they arent a charity either, logic dictates that they arent paying for my shipping, they are making it up elsewhere.

The places that give a discount on shipping or free shipping do not just make up somewhere. They make less margin. They may mke some of it up but the free shipping is not a gimmick. I pay UPS about $300,000 a year and I collect about a third of that. Most of that money goes to less margins. Some stores have higher margins then others. You can't assume that all store have the same bottom line margin so they make all of it up somewhere.

Walmart makes 3.6% margin and Target makes 4.3%. Walmart doesn't make it up on you. They have less margin. They make it up in volume.

Forrest

My question is, could you offer the 50lb sacks with the $10.00 Surcharge?
You could put it in a box (with less peanuts in the Box :D )
Maybe test market the idea.

That would cost you more per pound.

I have an idea that I will launch after the beginning of the year. You just want a deal on 2 row right?

Forrest, in your previous comparison you showed 100lbs from B3 shipped to Panhandle for FREE... was that a typo? Or is there a way to get 100lbs from B3 shipped for free?

Forrest, in your previous comparison you showed 100lbs from B3 shipped to Panhandle for FREE... was that a typo? Or is there a way to get 100lbs from B3 shipped for free?

They sell rahr 2 row for $1.43 per pound that qualifies for free shipping. People seem to prefer the Rahr 2 row over Great Western so that is what the comparison is for all of them.

Forrest

I see, pay the per/lb price and get it shipped for free... OR pay the BULK price and pay shipping. Got it.

I still cant beat .80/lb for Rahr locally and 1.24/lb for Maris locally. Should have looked there earlier. Do most people NOT have a LHBS to buy bulk grain from? And avoid shipping?

the only way I can beat all the prices is to go to Lubbock and order from the Triple J Brewpub when they do their bulk order, but I have to drive 4 1/2 hours to get there.
I have been trying to get the local feed store to place an order with Cargil for a pallet full (I know pleanty of homebrewers who would jump on this), but at this point I have had no success.

I see, pay the per/lb price and get it shipped for free... OR pay the BULK price and pay shipping. Got it.

I still cant beat .80/lb for Rahr locally and 1.24/lb for Maris locally. Should have looked there earlier. Do most people NOT have a LHBS to buy bulk grain from? And avoid shipping?

Ya I'm spoiled I pay .50 a # for 2 row and pale ale malt from Northstar Craft Brewery :D

You do consider your time and gas for comparing price right?

Yes I do, That is why I rarely do that... And why I'm trying to get the Local feed store to contact the supplier (they handle other Products) and see about getting a pallet of 2-row. (I know a lot of who would jump on it if it were available)
But have not had any success in that area as of yet.

From a sense of practicality on my part, 50# stretches farther than 40#.

The reason I got into 20 years ago was for two reasons.
1. Cheaper Beer.
2. Better quality beer than I can buy commercially.

With things the way they are, it's getting to the point that neither one is really achieved.

You do consider your time and gas for comparing price right?
I don't consider time as much as gas (Since nearest LHBS is 1.5 hr drive) but I only go on weekends so that is "my time"

Still waiting on a reply to my email to AHS about my last order, 3 days and counting.........

I feel fortunate to have LHBS that is more entertainment than worrying about value. It is San Francisco Brewcraft on Clement Street in SF. The Griz and the other cast-of-characters there is ALWAYS a spicy experience when picking up supplies.

Sure, you can order online from SF Brewcraft, but if you are in the area, it is pure entertainment.

That's great, but they could come here and announce it themselves and they could support the members here with some deals, but they have chosen not to so far.

Well I am certain it was a store only thing and I think it may have only been the Los Altos location too.

But that aside, they don't show up in here to try and gain business or rebuttal against any bickering about their business practices.

If I had a place like AHB, NB or B3 within a 1/2 of me. I would probably be there every weekend and half my paycheck would be gone, so maybe it is good I am 90% internet beer shopping. :off:

You suck.............. so how much will you charge to ship in bulk :)

I am heading down to Northstar on Friday to pick up 550# of grain from Shawn :rockin::rockin::rockin:. As far as shipping, I can look into it if you really want to. I would be willing to bet it’s EXPENSIVE. But if you are serious just PM me your address I will check it out for you.
Cheers
JJ

I am heading down to Northstar on Friday to pick up 550# of grain from Shawn :rockin::rockin::rockin:. As far as shipping, I can look into it if you really want to. I would be willing to bet it’s EXPENSIVE. But if you are serious just PM me your address I will check it out for you.
Cheers
JJ

No no, I wish I was serious. I need to hold off on that while the SWMBO settles on all that I have got lately. I don't really have a good area to store bulk grain either, my garage is way to hot in the summer and just ugly in the winter.

Just a followup. I just cancelled my order with morebeer. Over 2 weeks and it hasn't even shipped....

They were fast to cancel, which is good. Fwding order off to AHB.

I had an order in with Morebeer on Dec 3 (they had something on sale I wanted) and an order from AHB on Dec 7. The order from AHB arrived and was brewed already. The order from Morebeer is STILL NOT HERE. - 1 item delayed so they delayed my entire shipment. In OCT I ordered a thermometer from morebeer as part of another order. they shipped the order, but not the thermometer. 2 months later I finally got a refund.

I'm very pleased with AHB - no one is perfect but when I have had issues/problems/questions they got on it immediately and resolved my issue. Morebeer lacks in this.

Latest posts

Back