Lancaster County Brewers Showdown - Lancaster PA October 18th

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slatetank

Reaction score
Hey Everybody,
The Lancaster County Brewers will be having their first ever homebrew competition on October 18th at Iron Hill Restaurant and Brewery in Lancaster. It is an open style competition and the cost is $3 per entry. We are excited to get a local competition and hope area homebrewers come out to participate - show us what you got! The basic rules apply and the deadline will be October 11th. If you have any questions feel free to message me.

Do you have a link or anything to the competition guidelines? I thought I saw something on the BJCP site and was going to email you.

Am I able to mail my entry in? I only live about an hour and a half away but will not be able to make it up there in time. Thanks

I'm dropping off on Friday. Keith, you entering any? I can take them in if you want.
What are you entering, your Rye? Good stuff, but what category? Does it meet Roggenbier specs or is it a speciality?

If I go out to Keystone for some yeast this weekend, I may bring an IPA. I think they are a drop off location.

What are you entering, your Rye? Good stuff, but what category? Does it meet Roggenbier specs or is it a speciality?

Yep, the Roggenbier. It meets spec, so that's how I'm entering it. I have a few bottles of English IPA remaining, so I may enter that as well.

So, uhh.... I've never entered a homebrew competition before. What should I expect as an entrant?

So, uhh.... I've never entered a homebrew competition before. What should I expect as an entrant?
A little curious about this myself. I’m looking for some feedback, but don’t see if they send out the score sheets anywhere on the site. Anyone know about this?

Yep, the Roggenbier. It meets spec, so that's how I'm entering it. I have a few bottles of English IPA remaining, so I may enter that as well.
Decided on using London Ale on yesterdays Dry Stout. I took a ride to Keystone and brought two beers for the competition with me. The IPA has gone through three recipe updates and I’m pretty happy with it. It will be interesting to get a critique. The other, a Kolsch, is a first run recipe. Plenty drinkable, but not my favorite beer type. Still, I’d like to know if it’s close to style.

Waiting for competition results is almost as bad as waiting for beer to condition :eek:

Decided on using London Ale on yesterdays Dry Stout. I took a ride to Keystone and brought two beers for the competition with me. The IPA has gone through three recipe updates and I’m pretty happy with it. It will be interesting to get a critique. The other, a Kolsch, is a first run recipe. Plenty drinkable, but not my favorite beer type. Still, I’d like to know if it’s close to style.

I dropped off my entries (the Roggenbier and an English IPA) at Iron Hill-Lancaster yesterday. SWMBO and I will have to go back there sometime soon. Got there right in the middle of the dinner rush and it was packed!

Like you, I interested in getting some critique and criticism on my recipes as interpretations of the style(s).

Well, since we're sharing... I entered my Nut Brown Ale, Watermelon Wheat, and Pumpkin Ale.

Confident on the first two, but hoping the entries didn't go into the cooler until this weekend... The carbonation on the punkin was... questionable! Could use a few more days at room temp.

But for $3/entry, I was willing to gamble!

Oh, and the $3 fee I think, means they'll send scoresheets to you.

I dropped off my entries (the Roggenbier and an English IPA) at Iron Hill-Lancaster yesterday. SWMBO and I will have to go back there sometime soon. Got there right in the middle of the dinner rush and it was packed!

I dropped off my entry last week... and took my wife and daughter there for lunch on Saturday. The wife was a fan - which is good for me.

How was the attendance at the competition? I'm nursing a cracked rib after Saturday's match so I hope it was all worth it! :D

The other, a Kolsch, is a first run recipe. Plenty drinkable, but not my favorite beer type. Still, I’d like to know if it’s close to style.[/COLOR]

Well I guess that answered your question for you! Nice job!

Well, since we're sharing... I entered my Nut Brown Ale, Watermelon Wheat, and Pumpkin Ale.

Great job on that brown ale!!

Nice work placing for your Kolsch, Herm!
Good news is, I still have almost a case of it in the basement. Is that one of the beers that I gave you a bottle of?

Congrats to DubbelDach and Jaysus on the 1st Place showings! :mug:

Any other HTB entries win anything? I don't know the member names from the real names.

Oh cool! Looks like I did pretty well myself. - Steve Grisafi

Belgian Tripel - 1st
Smoked Porter - 1st
English IPA - 2nd
Trad. Bock - 3rd

Oh cool! Looks like I did pretty well myself. - Steve Grisafi

Fantastic job! My single second place is just a fluke, but four beers winning awards in their styles at one competition, that's some great brewing.

My ingredients for a Smoked Porter just arrived tonight. Sure would be interested in seeing your recipe to see if I'm headed in the right direction before I brew this weekend.

Congrats to all of the winners. :mug: I was surprised to see my pumpkin ale took 2nd place (Steve Apat). :ban: It was only a slight mod to yuri Rages Thunderstruck recipe. Not too shabby for a guy that only started brewing in March of this year. Funny thing is, I got my worst efficiancy on that brew.

Can anyone help me post a recipe from Beersmith? I'm pretty much a computer illiterate.

Evets, from the "my recipes" view, right click on the recipe, and choose "export as".

For export which items - leave that at only the items selected

For "use the following format" - you can use any, but for this purpose a text file would work fine

For export to - choose where you want the file saved.

Click ok, and the recipe will be exported. you can then open the text file and copy and paste into the forum post.

I spent the morning helping out, including "breaking into" Slatetank's laptop. Lot's of people helped out and I'd like to tip my hat to Iron Hill and specifically Paul, the head brewer there. And although I didn't place with my lone entry(my Saison earned a 32), I learned quite a bit for future competitions. A 160-something beers is a great turnout.

Yes, we'll have something for the winners. Thanks Shertz for your help - Paul really went out of his way to make our first competition successful. A great host indeed!

I got my scoresheet- but then again, I was at the Lancaster Homebrewer's October meeting to gather them up myself. :D

Perhaps a PM to Slatetank is in order?

slatetank spends more time on beer advocate than here. You may get a quicker response pm'ing him on BA. He uses the same name on both sites.

Back