Anyone ever use lemon zest?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phan71

Reaction score
I'm thinking of doing a Saison next, and I'm thinking of using lemon zest. What's the best way to go about doing this? How much would one use for a 5 gal. batch?

Thanks.

I use it in a SA Summer Ale clone that I make for my wife. I generally try not to fruit the beer, but it does add an interesting flavor along with the grains of paradise.

It was so long ago when I brewed it that I don't have the recipe in BeerSmith, but I think that it was .5-.75 oz of lemon zest added at 15 minutes.

How many lemons does it take to get that much zest? (I've never "zested" a lemon before, but I know my wife has a lemon zester.)

I made the Citrus Weizen recipe listed in the recipe database, which uses the zest of 4 lemons and 4 oranges, added at 15 minutes. The flavor in that is pretty pronounced, but still right in line; I love it. I'd think 4 lemons would be enough that you'd know you used lemon, without it overwhelming your beer.

Latest posts

Back