Drinking my first home brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schneemann

Reaction score
First home brew ever: Oktoberfest.

I bottled this beer on June 22, 2008 after 1 week in primary and 2 weeks in secondary. I somewhat misguidedly stuck it in the fridge for 2 weeks right after bottling. Then I took it out and put it in my cool (60 degrees), dark basement until taking one out today.

A few weeks ago, curiosity got the best of me and I popped one open. It tasted hideous. It tasted a lot like cider, had no carbonation, and was really green.

Today I popped one open. It tasted much better. It was much more like the beer it is supposed to be. Had OK lacing on the bottle. It was still a little green, but I could tell it is developing well. Can't wait to see how it turns out in a few more weeks!

Opened one out of my second batch - a New Castle clone. Still way too early. Great carbonation but really seems flavorless. I'm guessing it needs to develop more in the bottle.

It also sounds like your a little cool in the basement. They ideally should be stored at 70 or a shade above. It's true though, it's amazing what bottle conditioning will do.

Yeah, I'm worried about this winter, though I guess I could switch to lagers! ;-)

I might get one of those carboy heaters for when I do ales, esp. this winter. The basement stays a pretty consistent 60-65. The consistency is nice, but you're right. Its a little too cool. I will cool down even more this winter.

:mug:
My first beer (an IPA) was brewed in early March and bottled after one month.
Since temps were cool then in the house yet, bottle conditioning was not optimal at 65F so I just let it sit and tended to forget mostly about them as I worked into other brews (and kegging).
Opened up a few this past weekend and now its like sucking from heavens teet compared to the undercarbed and green tasting bottles we drank a couple months back.

I bottled this beer on June 22, 2008 after 1 week in primary and 2 weeks in secondary. I somewhat misguidedly stuck it in the fridge for 2 weeks right after bottling. Then I took it out and put it in my cool (60 degrees), dark basement until taking one out today.

A few weeks ago, curiosity got the best of me and I popped one open. It tasted hideous. It tasted a lot like cider, had no carbonation, and was really green.

Now that you have learned a valuable lesson, repeat after me: 21 days at 70°F... 21 days at 70°F... 21 days at 70°F...

Seriously though, you stunted your yeast right when it was needed to ferment the priming sugars.

Back