Budweiser Bourbon Cask Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheesefood

Reaction score
I find this beer hillarious:

Says it's "Aged on Boubon Casks" but it has a born-on date of Nov 17th.

This beer tastes like NOTHING. No flavor whatsoever.

Yeah, it's pretty bad. Incidentally, their pumpkin ale was real bad too (also watery and flavorless). I think it's a conspiracy by AB to get the beer drinkers who are considering expanding their palates to try some radical beers and determine that it's all crap. Kind of trick them out of their shell only to make them voluntarily slam themselves back in... :(

Well Cheese, it looks like you've saved me the trouble. I was toying with the idea of trying it. I was kind of hoping that AB was going to branch out into the Craft Brew Domain with this beer, but it sounds like that is not the case.:confused:

talleymonster said:
Well Cheese, it looks like you've saved me the trouble. I was toying with the idea of trying it. I was kind of hoping that AB was going to branch out into the Craft Brew Domain with this beer, but it sounds like that is not the case.:confused:

Let me tell you though- I gleefully fork over $10 a BOTTLE to drink Goose Island's Bourbon County Stout. So, if you ever happen to see it on the shelves near you (sold in a 4 pack for about $16), pick it up and if you like stouts you will be in love with that beer!!!

A couple years ago, Michelob had a beer called "Winter's Cask Bourbon Ale", and the next year AB gave us "Winter's Bourbon Cask Ale". I dunno all the specifics as per whether or not Michelob = AB, but I can definitely tell you it is exactly the same beer.

It was actually my first beer other than the traditional BMC junk, and they had it for $1 draughts at the local winery. We used to go there and get annihilated on the stuff after work. I just think it's odd how they changed the name while it is still exactly the same beer.

While it is no longer my favorite, I do like it. And at $1 a glass, well, you get the point.

I wasn't impressed either. It's got way too much artificial flavor....tastes like some kind of berry-vanilla but it ends up being way too sweet without enough roasty flavor to balance it out. At $1 a pint, though....what the hell....

bobjenkins79 said:
A couple years ago, Michelob had a beer called "Winter's Cask Bourbon Ale", and the next year AB gave us "Winter's Bourbon Cask Ale". I dunno all the specifics as per whether or not Michelob = AB, but I can definitely tell you it is exactly the same beer.

It was actually my first beer other than the traditional BMC junk, and they had it for $1 draughts at the local winery. We used to go there and get annihilated on the stuff after work. I just think it's odd how they changed the name while it is still exactly the same beer.

While it is no longer my favorite, I do like it. And at $1 a glass, well, you get the point.

I just bought a bottle of Michelob Celebrate "Vanilla Oak" for $4 today. 10%ABV. It's a bourbon-barrel aged beer with vanilla beans. This is NOT the same as AB's product which is around 5%ABV and is watery and gross.

With my first sip, I was disappointed with how watery it was. And honestly, it doesn't hold a candle to any craft-brewed bourbon beer I've had... however, for BMC... gosh.... I hate to say this.. but for BMC, well, it's good. I would drink it.

It took me a few sips to get used to it, but the aroma is pretty nice and it is very deceptively smooth. I could see someone having two of these and thinking they were ok to drive... it could be scary.

:off:
Louisiana state law says, "opreating a moveable" and that's any thing moveable car, truck,boat, bicycle , grocery buggy, horse, even your riding lawn mower in your front yard.

bobjenkins79 said:
Man, that's ********, who could you possibly harm, (other than yourself) riding a bicycle?

One of my father's friends killed his own wife when they were DWI in a golf cart (it tipped when they were alongside a drainage ditch. And yes, these were 50-something adults, not teenage lunatics on wheels).

Ridiculous, I know. I still don't support legislation to that extent, regardless of whether somebody somewhere knows someone who got killed that way... but it can happen.

bobjenkins79 said:
Man, that's ********, who could you possibly harm, (other than yourself) riding a bicycle?
:off: As an every day cyclist commuter I think the reality of the situation is that in most states they could ticket you for DWI or something similar while riding a bike or other vehicle but the vast majority of the time the cops will ignore you on a bike as long as you are not riding dangerously.
I grew up in a community with alot of Amish and occasionally one would get ticketed for DWI but only after they drove their buggy through a red light or over someones lawn. I imagine bicycles would be treated similarly.
As for AB, it sounds like an attempt to charge more for a mass market beer more than an attempt to take market share from the micros. I think the non BMC brands from AB, Miller, etc are the ones targeting the micros. Micros charge a premium price but have a limited market. AB is dirt cheap but sells huge volumes. A company like AB is going to try to increase market share and margin by mostly targeting high volume beers. A Bud brand is not going to steel many micro drinkers but may buy a "different" brand that is a little less expensive or marketed better.
Myself I find that any thing from a BMC tends to be much to watery.
Craig

I tried it and even though it was watery I would buy it again. I generally hate AB products but went out on a limb to try something different from them. Hell, give me a home brew recipe that is along those lines.....(but not watery) I like the wood aging aspect and the vanilla bean.

I'm trying it now, and I think it could be better, but I'd buy it again in a heartbeat. I wish someone could suggest other bourbon ales to try as well. I didnt' know what to expect, but I love the hint of bourbon, and I dislike strong liquor. Can't really taste much sweet or vanilla though.

I need to get me a good bourbon ale recipe!!

I had one of these this past weekend. And only because I have a silly habbit of drinking beers with weird tap handles. this particular one had a snowman. the first glass wasn't bad...the second tasted like they added a shot or bourbon right to the glass. I barely choked it down...

I actually didn't think it was that bad. I tasted a lot of vanilla but zero bourbon. It was fairly watery (AB, what do you expect) but I could actually taste some hops in there along with some baking spices....

I wouldn't buy it again but it wasn't horrible at all.

Back