Brand New Brewer. Cecil County Maryland

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary22

Reaction score
Hey everyone. New to everything home brew (beer of course). I'm reaching out to my fellow Marylanders for help as a beginner.
With that said, I just made my first home brew with mr. Beer. It's fermenting now n will be for the next 3 weeks or so before bottling. It'd be great if anybody local could point me in the direction of aLHBS. Thank u

Yea. I was there before a few years ago. But I was only 18-19 years old so the owner wouldn't sell me anything. Can't say that I blame him. But with all honesty, it was for the art of brewing. Not the alcoholic beverage it created. I was wondering if there are any other LHBS around the cecil county/Newark area. Thank you very much for the information though.

No. You can drive all the way up to Chad's Ford, but they don't have a lot. Otherwise your going to Lancaster or towards B-more.

Well I'm in Towson at least one weekend a month. Where is this LHBS in the Baltimore area located? N is it worth going to and checking out?

There well within my range. Ill definitely check them out. Thank you very much

Welcome to the madness.

Brew a ton before you buy any serious equipment (that way you'll buy based on what you need not what you want).

It seems like they're helpful. I'd like to try to make it to their beer brewing sessions the first Wednesday of the month.

I used to live in DC, and learned how to homebrew from the guys at the Flying Barrel in Frederick. They do brew-on-premises, providing all of the materials, equipment, and know-how to get you started. Plus they have a homebrew shop that's pretty nicely stocked (not as good as online vendors, but pretty good nonetheless). I can't recommend them enough for a beginning brewer.

boortzie said:
I used to live in DC, and learned how to homebrew from the guys at the Flying Barrel in Frederick. They do brew-on-premises, providing all of the materials, equipment, and know-how to get you started. Plus they have a homebrew shop that's pretty nicely stocked (not as good as online vendors, but pretty good nonetheless). I can't recommend them enough for a beginning brewer.

Hmmm that's a lil far but ill have to look into that. What's the cost for their brew-on-premise service? Thanks a lot for the info by the way!

That sounds like a good time. And a very knowledgeable one as well. I'm going to try to plan a trip out that way here soon. Thanks for the heads up.

Well I'm in Towson at least one weekend a month. Where is this LHBS in the Baltimore area located? N is it worth going to and checking out?

http://www.nepenthehomebrew.com/

I've been there several times. New place. The owners are nice, knowledgeable & they seem to have the customer service aspect well in hand. They just started up their brew-on-premisis operation, but I have no knowledge of the pricing.

They have a good selection of ingredients & such & their prices are competitive.

Thanks a lot. That's very close to my unit and I'll be sure to check it out one weekend I'm down that way.

The Thirsty Brewer in Baldwin is nice. Very helpful dudes in the store.

Thirsty Brewer is great. You can tell the staff loves what they do and are great resources. Good prices and selection of ingredients (I'm an extract brewer, so take that for what it is). I've seen some negative comments about the place online, disregard these. Yes, you have to go down cement stairs that always seem to be wet to an unmarked steel door. However, isn't feeling like a bootlegger part of the charm of what we do?

There are a couple of us in Cecil County - so welcome to the "club". I started with a MR. Beer a few years ago and now - well let's just say MR. Beer is an entry level drug.

I second How Do You Brew - great folks and always willing to do special orders if you need.

I also second the buy gear carefully thought above. I spent a good bit of $$ finding my way early on - could have been better spent on better gear with some more experience under my belt.

Have fun!

I just started brewing myself, I'm also in cecil county. I did my first brew last weekend, a red ale from a best brewers kit and I did my second last night/this morning, following an extract recipe for a strawberry blonde, tho I suppose at this point it's just a blone as I haven't added the strawberries yet.

I've made two trips to How Do You Brew and they seem knowledgeable and helpful, I may check out some of the other stores in PA and the surrounding area just to see how they are. I have been researching and looking into geting into this hobby for a few years and I just wish I did it sooner. I want to brew everything, I wish I could brew all the time lol. I'm gonna run out of room for fermentation and such.

That's pretty cool. I've just recently gotten pretty serious into brewing after years of looking into it. It's definitely awesome. The folks up at how so you brew are great. They offer classes for beginners as well. It was very informative n a wealth of knowledge. Unfortunately, I don't think they'll be having another one til fall time.
Ur blonde ale is pretty odd as I have a blonde(1 gallon) sitting in my primary waiting to go into the secondary with an addition of strawberries as well.
Anyway, welcome to the obsession. If u need anything that I can assist u with-feel free to ask.

Latest posts

Back