Northern Brewerl's White House Honey Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chemstudent

Reaction score
Just got this in the mail, I read the instructions and they said to steep the grains for 20 minutes or until the water reaches 170 F. I thought that grains were supposed to be steeped for an hour at around 145 - 150 F, but is that just for all grain recipes? (This one is a partial mash) Has anyone had success with this kit and willing to share some advice on this subject? This would be my first partial mash as well.

Thanks guys, you've been great so far and I love this forum. Can't wait to start brewing.

Its not a partial mash the grains are to impart a little extra taste and color. If it were a partial mash your right about the times and temps though.

Thanks for the tip, do you think I still have to heat the water up to strike temp or just put the grains in the water right away (when I start adding heat) and take them out when the water temp reaches 170 F?

Put them in right away and remove at 170. Strike temp would only come into play if you are actually mashing. All this being said i have wanted to try and mash my specialty grains to get a few extra og points, might have to try it some time.

When we do steeping grains,we use mash temps of between 150-165F. 20 minutes from average instructions worked ok. 30 minutes from others might be better. But when steeping,water volume isn't critical like mashing. We steeped in some 2-2.5G of water. Remove grain bag,put in large strainer or collander,& sparge. Some don't bother sparging steeping grains,but I think it should still be part of the process.:mug:

Latest posts

Back