Chemicals

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bronzdragon

Reaction score
Ok, so I'm moving up from a cooler set-up to a nice brewing system that is Clean In Place. And I'm thinking about how I am going to change my cleaning/sanitizing procedure.

I was thinking about going with PBW/Star San. My problem is that I do not have water lines run out to the garage and will have to run two hoses. One potable for the brewing water and one for the hot waste water after cleaning.

For those people who use PBW/Star San is this a safe mix to just drain out into your yard or onto the drive? I was looking over the chemical sheets and it appears the PBW would do the grass no harm, but the Star San is an acid.

I am just trying to figure out how I am going to be able to do this safely and properly.

~rc~

I dont know your setup, but I sanitize all mine( pump, chiller, lines, etc) by filling HLT bringing to boil and recirculate thru all equipment. First pass I just drain off to a bucket to get nastys out, then just let er rip.

Hmm...I haven't had a lawn in years, but I know that plants tend to be quite sensitive to pH. Both starsan and pbw work by having extreme pH levels. In neither case would you be hurting the environment, but I suspect it might damage your grass.

Bummer dude... had you bought one of ours it would have a spigot for attaching a hose for rinse down located at the chiller hot water out port.
Star San and PBW are safe to run down the gutter.

Back