Kenmore 8.8 Cu Ft freezer Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrewBrew

Reaction score
I'm looking at buying the Kenmore 8.8 Cu Ft. chest freezer for a conversion, but wanted to know what the thing weighed. I can't find specs for that on their site, so was hoping someone else on here could help fill me in.

I'm fairly certain it will fit in the back of my Subaru Forrester, and know that between myself and the merchandise pickup guys, we can lift it into the car... I'm concerned about once I get it home, whether or not my wife will be able to help me get it out.

Thanks,

Matt

They're really not that heavy. If you take the compressor end your wife should be okay with the lighter end.

How many ball locks will this thing hold? I want a black keezer and the 8.8 is the biggest I can find in black...post pics if you havesome of the inside of a 8.8...

From the measurements I made (using 3 cutouts of the base of a keg), I should be able to fit 5 kegs in comfortably with 2 tanks (CO2 and beer gas), provided I have a 9" collar, though Im sure someone else who's converted it already can coraborate.

:edit: without a collar, it should only knock it down to 4, for the record

I just bought the black kenmore 8.8 today after measuring it with keg cut outs I traced from my ball lock cornies. You can fit 4 on the floor and 1 on the hub. I'll be picking it up next week (they only had the floor model left so i ordered online with store pick up) and will measure it out and post.

I'll be doing a 4 tap collar setup with a wheeled frame underneath.

I just bought the black kenmore 8.8 today after measuring it with keg cut outs I traced from my ball lock cornies. You can fit 4 on the floor and 1 on the hub. I'll be picking it up next week (they only had the floor model left so i ordered online with store pick up) and will measure it out and post.

I'll be doing a 4 tap collar setup with a wheeled frame underneath.

sears? is it on sale? I like that freezer b/c its the biggest I can find in black!

I got mine on sale (white model) at sears plus a coupon for 222 a couple weeks ago. Heres my build thread if you wanted to see anymore details on it.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/collar-build-process-pics-opinions-308168/

I've been looking through a lot of threads, but no one seems to show how the collar is attached to the main body of the freezer. What did you do for yours?

I went with a 1 x 8 poplar collar and did a 2 coats of a dark (almost black) stain on mine, and it's looking really good so far. I've got 3 coats of polyurethane on it right now; waiting for that to dry, then going with an ultra fine sand paper and doing one last coat on the entire thing (inside and out).

Kenmore black 8.8 is what I used for my keezer with a 2x10 collar. It's light. While building, I picked it up and put it on sawhorses myself. It fits 5 very easilly and 6 with some wiggling (CO2 outside). Highly recommended.

I've been looking through a lot of threads, but no one seems to show how the collar is attached to the main body of the freezer. What did you do for yours?

I went with a 1 x 8 poplar collar and did a 2 coats of a dark (almost black) stain on mine, and it's looking really good so far. I've got 3 coats of polyurethane on it right now; waiting for that to dry, then going with an ultra fine sand paper and doing one last coat on the entire thing (inside and out).

I did a 2x6 collar then a 1x8 front facing board. The 2 x 6 collar sits flush to the freezer and the 1 x8 creates an overhanging lip. So when I put the collar down it literally slides down the front and sides gripping with the 1x8. I just put some 1" thick foam door/window insulation on the bottom of the 2 x 6 which creates a seal on the collar and the 1x8 holds it in place.

For my friend's collar, I got some straight metal straps that had holes in them and used the existing screw holes in the lower part of the freezer to secure one end of the straps to the freezer, and then I used some deck screws to secure the other end of the strap to the collar. Worked like a charm. We also used some silicon caulk to insulate the space between the freezer and the collar, and to further secure the collar.

For my friend's collar, I got some straight metal straps that had holes in them and used the existing screw holes in the lower part of the freezer to secure one end of the straps to the freezer, and then I used some deck screws to secure the other end of the strap to the collar. Worked like a charm. We also used some silicon caulk to insulate the space between the freezer and the collar, and to further secure the collar.

When I got my freezer I called up the parts center and ordered 2 replacement hinges for it. I gave them my credit card to pay for them but a got a message a few days later stating that the Freezer was under warranty and they never charged me for the hinges.

I'm using the hinges to attach the collar to the freezer and then I'll use the original hinges to attach the lid to the freezer. (Not my idea, I read about doing that in another build thread here on HBF)

That way when ever I need to put in a new keg I can lift up the collar and move the faucets out of harms way and also not have to lift the kegs up over the collar. But if I just want to switch out the C02 tanks or some of the bottles I plan on storing on the hump, I can just lift the lid.

Back