How much beer/ingredients do you keep on hand?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How many batches do you have right now, from ingredients to beer in the keg/bottle?

• 31+

• 21-30

• 11-20

• 6-10

• 5 or less

• Purchase, brew, drink, in that order.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Coastarine

We get it, you hate BMC.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just got a shipment of grain today and I counted up. I have 20 different batches in various states ranging from weighed and bagged but uncrushed recipes to nearly kicked kegs, all outlined in my sig down there. It occurred to me that this equates to approximately 6 months worth of beer, and I began to wonder if I was crazy. I tend to get a big stash of grain because I have a brewing budget each month so on the first of the month I place an order for whatever misc brewing items I need and spend the rest of the budget on recipes leaving some left for propane and CO2. Sometimes I end up buying grain when I still have three batches that I haven't brewed. I know some of you buy base grain in bulk but I really enjoy having BMW weigh, bag, and seal it for me so I can skip straight to crushing on brewday.

I have the hops blended and ready for my competition brews for the year.
Next week, I'll start picking up the grains and yeast.

Santa brought me a pair of new igloo coolers and a SP-10.
Time to retire the old chili-cookoff burner and brew kettles.... ( well, at least store them for the summer months :) )

Your grain is alive and it only keeps so long.

Also, don't attract attention. You can only brew 100 gallons a year for personal consumption without a commercial liscense. That is a federal law.

Your grain is alive and it only keeps so long.

Also, don't attract attention. You can only brew 100 gallons a year for personal consumption without a commercial liscense. That is a federal law.

200 gallons a year if you happen to have a spouse or other adult living in your home.

I don't know for sure, but I checked "31+". I have well over 175 pounds of base malt, many packages of dry yeast, about 6 strains of liquid yeast, plenty of specialty grains and at least 10 pounds of hops in the freezer right now. I want to be able to brew whatever I want, whenever I want.

I don't know about grain being "alive"- mine are in airtight containers so I think it's "bug-proof".

I keep a lot of beer and ingredients on hand and usually get within about 50 gallons of my annual limit. However, simply asking about the number of batches is a bit misleading. I have enough on hand to brew over 100 gallons of beer, but that's only 6-7 batches for me.

I have 6 this morning and came home any my newest order from Austin came in so now I have 8.... we counting wine or apfelwein in on this too?

200 gallons with spouse... and I figure the kids should be able to brew as well and age it till they are of age to consume it. Right? Right?

I picked 11-20. I have 16 batches in carboys/kegs/bottles and 60lbs of base malt, maybe 7-8lbs of specialty grain, a few pounds of hops and a couple mason jars of washed 1056 on hand.

Not too much. 1.5 lb's of different hops in the freezer. I take the winter off since its too damn cold to use the brew sculpture outside so I will start prepping my schedule around march

I have 750# of grain coming in the bulk grain buy in a few weeks, about 100# of base grain remaining from last years' buy and about 60# of specialty grains on hand plus 21# of hops. I guess that puts me in the triple hops obsessed (TM) category.

I have over 20 batches of beers, assorted meads and ciders I've made over the years.

Granted, some of the meads are only 1-2 bottle remaining to 10+ bottles. All total over 100 bottles I'm sure. I have 1 bottle of mead from 1994, lots from 2006 and newer.

I have about 12 kegs and 8 cases of 1/2 liter bottles full. I only reached 39 batches this past year.

I believe I have about 110# DME, 118# assorted grains, 10+# hops, about 25 packets of dry yeast and 42 vials on-hand.

three batches fermenting...I think I'm just about ready for anything...;)

I have 750# of grain coming in the bulk grain buy in a few weeks, about 100# of base grain remaining from last years' buy and about 60# of specialty grains on hand plus 21# of hops. I guess that puts me in the triple hops obsessed (TM) category.

With all that grain you are bound to exceed the federal limit for gallons brewed, OH NO!

I'm sure homebrewers that exceed the limit are top priority for the feds. Who cares if you go over. So many perfect citizens here... Ever driven faster than the speed limit? Of course. No big deal.

I just got 250lbs of grain (3 different base malts, assorted other grains), and 6lbs of hops. I used to never have anything on hand, except < lb of different grains.

Hmm.... I have 4 bottled, 2 in secondary, and 5 worth of grains. I guess that puts me at 11. Soon to be 10 since I am down to 2 bottles of my Mild.

10-11 for me depending on what I decide to brew, I have plenty of base grain but only one formalated and ready to brew batch. I do have extra specialty grains laying around for when I need them though. I have hops out the ears since I buy those in bulk, and I have something like 7 or 8 batches in the kegorator or secondary.

Just the basics for me. About 4.5 pounds of hops, 150lbs of base grain, 3 packs of dry yeast, and ~20 mason jars of washed yeast.

Back