Cider beginner, no ingredients, need to improvise

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camel_cider

Reaction score
I know, I know, this will never produce an anywhere decent cider, but desperate times call for this. I have a demijohn and airlock. I have access to apple juice and bakers yeast :((eeesh):( and also various types of sugar.

Is it at all possible to create any kind of cider, and how would be the best way to go about it?

No access to brewers yeast of any kind, so bakers it will have to be.

Juice with preservatives will not ferment. The preservatives are there to keep the juice from "spoiling" with wild yeast. We call that fermentation, though!

So, you'd need to find apple juice with no preservatives. I'm not sure how apples grow in the middle east, so I'm guessing you really don't have a source for fresh cider.

Dont you have a buddy or something who can mail you some ale yeast? Kazakhstan is likely where the apple originated, so you ought to be able to find something fermentable. maybe pomegranates?

I was going to get some yeast sent by courier, but didn't want it to be nabbed in customs (they all say something on the packs, like for wine, beer etc).

I have pomegranites, loads of them growing in my back yard. Can I use that juice? It is quite dry.

http://www.holmac.com.au/proddewapple.htm

WOuld this do?
Or else I can try calling our local apple juice supplier.

that one looks to be preservative free because its UHT (ultra pasturized), which means you can ferment it but wont get quite as much apple flavor because alot of it is killed during the UHT process.

If you find one that has only Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C) you can use that too.

You know, when you registered for the site, you agreed to abide by the rules which include following the legalities of your place of residence. If customs nabbing your yeast is a concern, then you are obviously in a place where it's not legal to brew.

We can't abet illegal activites. In other words, we won't give you advice on how to get around the laws in your area. You'll have to figure that out by yourself, or at least by reading and learning.

Well, not that I would ever suggest anyone to break the laws of their land.
But I would point out that bakers yeast can still create some decent brew if the temperature is kept to the low side and enough time is given for conditioning to remove the off flavours.
I would also like to point out that laws are generally in place to reduce friction between diverse people, and extreme caution is required to ensure that friction does not happen if you side step any laws.
In other words, don't get caught, don't talk about it, even here, don't do anything stupid.
There are some places it is just not worth breaking the law in any circumstances.
Otherwise I am perfectly happy to talk about brewing sciences and different techniques in a global forum such as this.
Now if your under age I would tell you to chew bubble gum and kick ass and don't drink until your older! :)

Well thanks for all your replies.
I am not suggesting at all that anyone assists me in breaking any laws, and only in aiding me on what substitutes I may use and if it is at all possible to attain any kind of decent brew from what I have available.
My apologies if anyone thought any different.

Today I have mixed Dewlands Apple juice (5 liters), 2 cups of sugar and 1 teaspoon of dissolved instant bakers yeast. It is now off in a quiet warmish room and I shall monitor it daily and let you know what happens.

Very nice, the lower the temperature the less the hot taste and esters produced by the yeast. I would try to keep the temperature to where it it is active, but slow to produce the product that I would want to drink from using a bread yeast. I would think 65F would work, or even lower.
Also, you can look at washing the yeast and keeping some good starters on hand in a fridge. Great for making quick breads where you don't have time to proof the yeast. Yea, yea, that's the ticket.
It's also great practice once you get your hands on some good yeast for the styles that you like.
Best of luck.

Back