Blackberry Storm

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hostileNabusive

Reaction score
Anyone else excited for this phone? or has anyone else heard of it?

It's coming out on Friday and up until the begining of last week they hadn't even announced when it was going to be released.

I've been eligible for an upgrade for awhile now and have anxiously awaiting this phone, my first blackberry!:rockin:

I just got the brochure from verizon...looks cool but im not sure if i would like the touch screen...i have the lg envy...im due for an upgrade also....may have to check out all the new options.

i have a nextel blackberry 7100i

it's currently the only blackberry nextel offers, and it's a dinasaur. it has an external antenna, and is HUGE. like almost 1990 huge.

i used to love my blackberry, now i wish it would just die. sometimes, it's nice to be able to use the excuse, "aw man, no i haven't checked my email yet today". not so with the BB. as far as my work and SWMBO is concerned, i'm ALWAYS available, and accessable, 24/7 via direct connect, cell, BB messenger, email, or text.

my advice, don't get one. and while your at it, cancel all your email addresses and move intothe everglades and sell your cars and raise alligators.

It looks cool but my big concern is that the only thing they can think of to market about it is the fact that the buttons click. I mean seriously, is this the best feature of the phone???

I have the BlackBerry World, Pearl, now the Curve. I have loved all 3 and cant wait till I can get the storm. thats my 3 cents

How about a brewing phone?

Wouldn't it totally kick a## to have a phone that was an immersible hydrometer, PH and coversion reader, had built in recipe software, thermometer, and could be used as a burner to heat strike water?

These super technology phones might be great for some people, but I seriously am expecting that an amazing phone will come out someday that will do everything, but they will forget to put the phone in it.

How about a brewing phone?

Wouldn't it totally kick a## to have a phone that was an immersible hydrometer, PH and coversion reader, had built in recipe software, thermometer, and could be used as a burner to heat strike water?

These super technology phones might be great for some people, but I seriously am expecting that an amazing phone will come out someday that will do everything, but they will forget to put the phone in it.

i can't remember what it is, some book i read in my youth, or some movie, i'm sure someone here will know, but it was a major kick ass watch, that did like eleventy billion things, except for tell time.

I've been looking forward to this phone for months. Verizon sent me a brochure saying because I was VIP (read, 'you spend over $79 a month) that I could buy it on Monday. That of course wasn't true and now I need to wait for Friday. But I called around and only about 50% of stores in CT will have it Friday and those stores are opening early and expecting crazy lines. Idk if I'm gonna wake up for it or not, I have to decide.

I really do want one, I have an Ipod touch and totally love it (does WiFi) but Verizon is the only company with really decent coverage in Colorado so I won't switch to AT&T to get an iPhone. So I think I will go with the Storm if it ends up being anything like an iPhone. My current LG 'stupid' phone has randomly just started turning off in my pocket, and I have 4 more months until my 'new every 2' comes up, so I may just have to bite the bullet and go with the storm. I may wait at least a few weeks to see if any major problems with it pop up.

It looks cool but my big concern is that the only thing they can think of to market about it is the fact that the buttons click. I mean seriously, is this the best feature of the phone???

I'm not completely gonna vouch for this feature but according to the hands on video I've seen, it works really well and cuts down on a lot of erroneous typing that touch screens have problems with.

my advice, don't get one. and while your at it, cancel all your email addresses and move intothe everglades and sell your cars and raise alligators.

Or maybe just I'll move to the abandoned house at the end of the street, start calling myself "Boo Radley", and raise cats instead.:p

i can't remember what it is, some book i read in my youth, or some movie, i'm sure someone here will know, but it was a major kick ass watch, that did like eleventy billion things, except for tell time.

I want to say this sounds like something from a Douglas Adams book, but I could be mistaken.

I'm not completely gonna vouch for this feature but according to the hands on video I've seen, it works really well and cuts down on a lot of erroneous typing that touch screens have problems with.

I'm sure that it is a nice feature. I totally agree that just having the sound of the keys clicking can trigger a sense in the brain to make it more like a realy keyboard. I think's it's brilliantly simple.
I am just asking, is this really there only big new feature for their new phone? The commercial I've seen says nothing about what else the phone has/does. Clicking buttons is not enough to make me want to look into the phone any more to see what else it has. Does it have the standard everything minus one feature? Why can't a phone throw it all in one? they all seem to leave out one thing. What I would want.
Good Service of course
Visual Voicemail
Music/Video player
Decent internet browser
GPS
buttonless touchscreen
tilt recognition such as iPhone and others.

Guess that's a lot to ask from one little thingy that fits in my pocket. These things nowadays really are amazing when you think about it.:mug:

I'm sure that it is a nice feature. I totally agree that just having the sound of the keys clicking can trigger a sense in the brain to make it more like a realy keyboard. I think's it's brilliantly simple.
I am just asking, is this really there only big new feature for their new phone? The commercial I've seen says nothing about what else the phone has/does. Clicking buttons is not enough to make me want to look into the phone any more to see what else it has. Does it have the standard everything minus one feature? Why can't a phone throw it all in one? they all seem to leave out one thing. What I would want.
Good Service of course
Visual Voicemail
Music/Video player
Decent internet browser
GPS
buttonless touchscreen
tilt recognition such as iPhone and others.

Guess that's a lot to ask from one little thingy that fits in my pocket. These things nowadays really are amazing when you think about it.:mug:

The Storm does all those things. I attended a Verizon/RIM 'First Look, First Touch' launch party last week and saw all of those features in use. Watched the "Iron Man" trailer and it looked great. Comes with an 8GB microSD card for loading up your favorite a/v files. Visual voicemail is awesome - why didn't someone think of that before? The GPS definitely showed the correct location, but unfortunately we weren't allowed to leave the building with the device for further testing ;)

I lack the vocabulary skillz to accurately describe how it feels, but the tactile response from clicking a virtual button on the touch screen is really cool! You can swipe your fingers to move around screens like on the iPhone, but when you actually select something there is a physical click.

Everything, minus one? The only thing I could think of was that it doesn't do WiFi.

I'm just hoping that my employer will approve the purchase so I can have one of these for myself.

The only thing I could think of was that it doesn't do WiFi.

That was an idiotic thing to leave out, and I would warrant a guess that Verizon told them to leave it out, so you rack up more minutes on their network. My Ipod does WiFi...why the heck shouldn't my phone...

I'm disappointed. I saw the title and thought "Blackberry Storm" was going to be some great mead recipe or something. heh

That was an idiotic thing to leave out, and I would warrant a guess that Verizon told them to leave it out, so you rack up more minutes on their network. My Ipod does WiFi...why the heck shouldn't my phone...

Actually when you sign up for your blackberry service you get unlimited bandwidth, just a fyi.

I think one of the reasons they left it out is that it's a battery drainer. My buddy's has to use his wifi on his iphone all the time since his AT&T service is poor (to say the least) and it barely makes it to the end of the day...

Here's a review if anyone's interested. It's a little lengthy but pretty well done.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RXagnb8oPQ]YouTube - Verizon Blackberry Storm[/ame]

I'm disappointed. I saw the title and thought "Blackberry Storm" was going to be some great mead recipe or something. heh

I thought the same thing.... I just cracked a 2 year old mead the other night, and have had mead on the brain since then, I was excited to see a blackberry mead recipe that was so awesome as to be called blackberry storm....
What a let down;)

I've never understood the need for an expensive cell phone...

Like most things we enjoy, It's not generally a need, but a want.
For some though it is a need or at least a very justifiable want. Take your salesman who is 100% travel. Carrying this one little thing that does it all beat lugging around a phone, laptop, GPS, DVD's, MP3 player all through the airport. Just check everything and relax in the airport.

Back