Firearms

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My great grandpa traded a weaner pig for a 1898 Browning Auto 5.

It is now the highlight of my collection.

My new to me Sig Tac ops 1911.

IMG_0418.jpg

IMG_0419.jpg

Is there any correlation between steel and brass cases and corrosive powder charges?

No.

FWIW, it's the primer, I believe, that is the difference between corrosive and non-corrosive.

There is a lot of information on the Internet about ammo head stamps and packaging. If you poke around a bit with that information you'll probably find out beyond a reasonable doubt if it's corrosive or not.

For example, I recently picked up a 1/2 dozen boxes of 308/7.62x51 ammo in light green boxes and the cartridges have head stamp .308W OO 82. A couple minutes browsing around with that head stamp info suggests the ammo is most likely corrosive.

Way too many pages to go back...

Can anyone offer insight into the various M1A .30 Carbine manufacturers? I'm looking to get one of these rifles really soon. I've been watching Gunbroker pretty closely and it seems like the difference in prices between the manufacturers is fairly wide. I'm not looking for authenticity or resale value, just functionality. Specifically, Plainfield and Universal seem to be the best values. Is there any reason not to go with them, considering that this gun will likely see less than 100 rds per year?

My backup plan is the Citadel M1A .22 version. Any advice on that one? I'm considering setting myself up with a .22 semi-auto rifle and a handgun then stocking up on that one round.

Way too many pages to go back...

Can anyone offer insight into the various M1A .30 Carbine manufacturers? I'm looking to get one of these rifles really soon. I've been watching Gunbroker pretty closely and it seems like the difference in prices between the manufacturers is fairly wide. I'm not looking for authenticity or resale value, just functionality. Specifically, Plainfield and Universal seem to be the best values. Is there any reason not to go with them, considering that this gun will likely see less than 100 rds per year?

My backup plan is the Citadel M1A .22 version. Any advice on that one? I'm considering setting myself up with a .22 semi-auto rifle and a handgun then stocking up on that one round.

Good luck getting .22 bullets. They are as rare as hens teeth around here:mad:

Yeah I can't find them anywhere online! Thankfully I have a little over 500 rds on hand. Current conditions not-withstanding, .22 will always be the cheapest round though. I'm leaning towards the .30 carbine anyway. The reason I'm purchasing this firearm calls for a larger round.

bottlebomber said:
I didn't know there was a shortage of .22LR. That sucks.. The ammo grab of 2013

It's all in who you know. I didn't ask about .22lr. I've got a few boxes of 9mm on the way. Not hoarding, just picking up some to shoot here soon.

9mm can be found, but it's expensive. I get most of my 9MM from work so I'm not worried about that. I don't have a ton, but definitely enough. If I pick up this .30 carbine I'm going to probably make a bulk purchase of that.

Airborneguy said:
9mm can be found, but it's expensive. I get most of my 9MM from work so I'm not worried about that. I don't have a ton, but definitely enough. If I pick up this .30 carbine I'm going to probably make a bulk purchase of that.

I got lucky and a wholesale source found me.

sw_m1911.jpg

My favorite of all my guns. I'm nearly as accurate with that as I am with the 9mm. Although my real passion is shotguns because they make things dump out of the sky...

Everything's going to be expensive and scarce until this mess blows over. 9mm at Cabelas has gone from 10.99 to 16.99 for a box of magtech or blazer, no thanks! It's tempting to take my AR and magazines to the next gun show and double my money and buy again once prices come down. I was at Cheaper Than Dirt last week and Magpul Pmags were 89.99, that night my friend called me from Cabelas and had snagged 10 pmags right when they opened the box. He said the box was empty before they made it to the shelf. 19.99/each was too good to pass up considering the prices all other shops are asking. He gave me three of them in trade for doing a brake job on his pickup. Good luck on the M1A, they are sweet guns.

HoppyDaze said:
My favorite of all my guns. I'm nearly as accurate with that as I am with the 9mm. Although my real passion is shotguns because they make things dump out of the sky...

So you like the shotty? Fit some drum mags for a guys Saiga 12 and cleaned the gas system. Of course we had to feed test them. [ame]http://youtu.be/x2MfrglfQ_g[/ame] and yeah, was just killing some tall grass.

sw_m1911.jpg

They sure are pretty but I just do not care for the handling on the wheel guns. I finally sold all of mine when they were collecting dust. My wife did not enjoy shooting them and neither did I. Something about the balance and natural point of aim. I cam considerably better with a semi auto.

I have a soft spot for Wheel guns. Guess I watched too many westerns as a kid. I am pretty accurate with my 357, but is has a nice Hogue grip and points extremely well. I've held wood gripped ones and a SAA and agree they don't point as well.

I have two S&W revolvers: a .38 special and a .44 magnum. The .44 is awesome for the occasional fun, but I really don't see myself using it for much more than that. The .38 will eventually be one of my carry options.

I have a few. Until I found this site, I spent my spare money on guns, reloading and ammo, shot several hundred rounds most every saturday and brewed a bit on Sundays in my 5 gallon stainless pot.

Since I found this site, I have only purchased 1 new gun, rarely get out shooting anymore, spent all my spare money building a bar and a 3 vessel e-herms system, kegs and a keezer in my back yard.

I was feeling too lazy to take everything out of the gun safe, but here are most of mine.

wgunb4.jpg

23kdnol.jpg

When I have time I shoot and reload the following

22/250
.204 ruger
.223/5.56
.40 S&W
.357 SIG
.357 Mag
20 Guage
12 Guage

Also have a few .22's and a .17hmr

Yeah I can't find them anywhere online! Thankfully I have a little over 500 rds on hand. Current conditions not-withstanding, .22 will always be the cheapest round though. I'm leaning towards the .30 carbine anyway. The reason I'm purchasing this firearm calls for a larger round.

My father and I share my grandfathers WW2 30 Carbine. Its a cool piece of history, and a lot of fun to shoot, but the last time we bought ammo at the local store, it was $32/50 rounds. I havent seen it online for less than $20/50 for a LONG time. I have reloading dies for it, I just havent made an effort to work up a load yet. I highly recommend reloading for it though, you can get plated 30 cal bullets for very cheap, bringing the cost down to $9/50.

I cant find ammo anywhere for anything right now. A local shop is licensed to make ammo, and they sell literally as fast as it comes off of the press. I cant find small pistol primers to save my life, so I havent had but three or four chances to shoot the Sig p226 I bought myself for Christmas.

Oh, and Im starting paperwork on a Huntertown Arms Guardian 9 in a couple weeks, anyone else in NFA stuff?

JoshuaW said:
My father and I share my grandfathers WW2 30 Carbine. Its a cool piece of history, and a lot of fun to shoot, but the last time we bought ammo at the local store, it was $32/50 rounds. I havent seen it online for less than $20/50 for a LONG time. I have reloading dies for it, I just havent made an effort to work up a load yet. I highly recommend reloading for it though, you can get plated 30 cal bullets for very cheap, bringing the cost down to $9/50.

I cant find ammo anywhere for anything right now. A local shop is licensed to make ammo, and they sell literally as fast as it comes off of the press. I cant find small pistol primers to save my life, so I havent had but three or four chances to shoot the Sig p226 I bought myself for Christmas.

Oh, and Im starting paperwork on a Huntertown Arms Guardian 9 in a couple weeks, anyone else in NFA stuff?

Cool stuff. I have my great grandfathers 1903 Springfield and a trophy rifle he brought back.

Share some of your NFA experiences.

Also, I'm also Joshua W.

Cool stuff. I have my great grandfathers 1903 Springfield and a trophy rifle he brought back.

Share some of your NFA experiences.

Also, I'm also Joshua W.

This is my first one! I am jumping in all at once, since I have been trying to get into NFA stuff for a couple years, but never found the money. Im waiting on my trust to come back from my lawyer so I can start paperwork. We have some really good dealers that can get really good prices on Huntertown Arms stuff, since they are made right here in Indiana, so Im doing the Guardian 9 as my first. The forms arent all that hard to fill out, and it really hasnt been much of a hassle with the trust. My lawyer and the dealer walked me through the forms, and no fingerprints/photos/chief of police sign offs with the trust.

If I can get my hands on a stripped lower, Im going to do an SBR 300 Blackout build, which I can use the supressor on. That may have to wait though, because Im not paying $350 for a $100 lower.

So how was the show?

Ours here are hit and miss. Sometimes they will be great with lots of good stuff. Other times it looks like a bunch of Vietnam Vets selling all their Mil-Surplus crap.

I picked up a Plainfield M1 carbine. There was plenty of AR's, but the prices were insane. One guy was looking for $2500 for a fairly basic bushmaster. I didn't even bother looking at ammo because I kept hearing people talk about how expensive it was.

Over all it was a good experience. My cousin and I are planning to check out another one soon, maybe sometime in February.

Might as well try here...

I'm trying to find out how much my Miroku 500 side-by-side 12 gauge is worth. I've been searching the net like crazy and can't seem to come up with a value. Does anyone have any information on these shotguns? Apparently they are great quality. If it is worth a lot more than I paid for it, I'd consider selling it to make more (and cash) for something else I'm looking for.

Might as well try here...

I'm trying to find out how much my Miroku 500 side-by-side 12 gauge is worth. I've been searching the net like crazy and can't seem to come up with a value. Does anyone have any information on these shotguns? Apparently they are great quality. If it is worth a lot more than I paid for it, I'd consider selling it to make more (and cash) for something else I'm looking for.

Miroku is the Japanese manufacturer who made the Browning shotguns. If you look up the cost of the Browning in the same style and era, you are going to be pretty close. The price is going to vary depending on Model and condition. You may be looking at $900 to $2500 depending on those 2 factors.

(IMO the Miroku is a better shotgun than the current Brownings)

Been hunting all my life (at least for the past 20 years)

I used to target shoot a lot as well but frankly with the current government and situation in this country I'm simply stock piling ammo and keeping my guns clean! :)

Miroku is the Japanese manufacturer who made the Browning shotguns. If you look up the cost of the Browning in the same style and era, you are going to be pretty close. The price is going to vary depending on Model and condition. You may be looking at $900 to $2500 depending on those 2 factors.

(IMO the Miroku is a better shotgun than the current Brownings)

My Browning Citori 725 is Miroku made. I just purchased it new in September, and this thing is an awesome gun. As far as a value on Airborne's gun, I found an overunder on gunbroker for $876, here's the link,http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=327667971

My 1911 addiction is growing. Just added a Sig 1911 in .22lr to the family. Here it is next to its big Sig brother in .45ACP

image-3779493681.jpg

Mine is a SxS which seems to be more rare. All I know for sure is that it was produced between 1968-1971. I might bring it to the next gun show I attend to see if I can get an appraisal. If I can sell it for a good profit, I will.

Maybe in the city. I don't recall any regulation or law specifically against carrying a slingshot. I'd imagine one would have to use it nefariously for it to become illegal.

Back