I'm a lucky guy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don

Reaction score
Got home tonight and my box from Northern was there waiting on me, and there were 5 other boxes.

I checked my order sheet and received my 5# of Maris Otter, my hops I needed for this weekends brew along with several other small items I needed to restock my brew cabinet.

I opened up the other boxes and found 5 55# bags of Simpson's Malt 275 pounds worth. Thats $340 worth. Checked my invoice again and it's not on there... checked my credit card statement and it's not on there either.

On top of that it was all shipped BrewSaver Ground....................

Well I thought for a minute or two and if this had been Maris Otter I might of done differently, but I called Northern and thanked them for my early Birthday / Late Christmas present.

I wanted the person, who was expecting his grains to show up today, to get them.

That's my good deed for the year.
Glad I got it over with.

Happy Brewing this weekend.

Don

If ever my grain order gets shipped to the wrong address, I hope it goes to your house. I'll bet you made a brewer very happy. (Northern too! :D )

Are they having you send it back? I thought companies generally said keep it if they make a mistake, because the cost to ship it back would be greater than the product itself. Of course that's a whole lotta grain...

Either way, yeah, you're a great person :mug:

Reading that makes my day. If, by some astronomical coincidence I'm ever in southern Indiana, I want to buy you a beer and toast your honesty.

Instead of giving away the ending right away, next time you need to end the post with...

"What should I do...?"

Those always liven up an afternoon... :D

Well done.

BierMuncher said:
Instead of giving away the ending right away, next time you need to end the post with...

"What should I do...?"

Those always liven up an afternoon... :D

Well done.

Um, BM, you're a mod now, you can't go around encouraging people to troll.....:D

Well Done!

I would love to say that I would do the same thing.... I'll let you know if I ever have the opportunity.

Not sure if they have these where you guys are, but here in AUS, the "Trash and Treasure" markets are very popular. They basically fence off a section of a parking lot on a Sunday morning, hire out stalls and people show up to sell their wares. Everything from people cleaning out their garage, to actual stores set up with imported goods etc. I sold my entire CD collection here when I had them all converted to MP3.

Anyway, the areas where they have these are usually inner city, and the clientel sometimes leaves a bit to be desired, as do a lot of the people there selling things. Last weekend, SWMBO and I went and strolled through, picked up a few books etc. We then drove across town to do some other shopping. SWMBO's phone rings and it's an older woman who says that she has found SWMBO's wallet. We drove to their house and picked it up. There was $220 cash in it, and I tried to give them $20 for a reward. They were shocked that I tried to give them money (I think I nearly offended them) and the old bloke just said "All I want in payment, is your word that if you ever find someone's wallet, you will do the same thing"

I drove away quite amazed that #1, the wallet was found by an honest person, not a druggie or a scumbag, and #2, that they refused to accept anything for returning it to us.

Liquidicem said:
Did they offer you any compensation for you honesty? Maybe let you keep one of the bags?

The guy I talked to at Northern said they would send me a gift certificate.

And since I buy from them @ every other week I'll put it to good use.

Don

Don said:
The guy I talked to at Northern said they would send me a gift certificate.

And since I buy from them @ every other week I'll put it to good use.

Don

A good deed doesn't go unrewarded. Good job on your honesty, and just think, you gave life to a whole bunch of beers somewhere that people are enjoying:) .

The beer gods smile upon you.......I feel good when the cashier gives me an extra 20 and I return it.....this is even better. But judging from everyones reaction, this behavior is the expected norm among the most decent of people....beer lovers.:mug:

BleedsDogFish said:
The beer gods smile upon you.......I feel good when the cashier gives me an extra 20 and I return it.....this is even better. But judging from everyones reaction, this behavior is the expected norm among the most decent of people....beer lovers.:mug:

Here's a little something to think about for those out there that WOULDN'T have returned the extra change or the extra malt or whatever: if they had shorted you or overcharged you, you certainly would have said something immediately. So why not say something when the mistake is in your favor????

Kudos to you as well, dogfish!

One time I ordered two sets of keg rings and they sent me three. I KEPT THE EXTRA!!! hahahahahaaaa!!!

For something like this, there's no doubt I would have called them to tell them I got an order by mistake.

One time I ordered two sets of keg rings and they sent me three. I KEPT THE EXTRA!!! hahahahahaaaa!!!

For something like this, there's no doubt I would have called them to tell them I got an order by mistake.

When I got into brewing I ordered all my equipment online. I had placed an order for about $150 worth of stuff. Little did the company know, they accidentally sent me an extra plastic airlock!!! SUCKERS!!!!!

For those keeping track of this post your not going to believe this.
------------
(email today for Northern)
Don,

After careful deliberation we have decided it is your lucky day!

The cost of having those sacks returned to us would quickly negate their value (not to mention the hole we have already dug, errantly shipping them to you) so we have decided to offer them to you free of charge.

We hope that you may find some use for all that grain (perhaps you have a brew club that can benefit from our error!)

If for some reason you don't want to hold on to or get rid of that grain just let us know and we will take care of it, otherwise enjoy!

Cheers,
Northern Brewer, Ltd.
----------------

I can't turn this down. I don't deserve it but I will offer some of it to or local brew club. I might even get my membership waved this year.
If that's not lucky enough I took a closer look at the grain bags and they are all Simpson's Malt "Maris Otter". This has always been my base grain.

There's going to be several big batches of Old Ale, Barley Wine, Winter Warmers. I even used Maris Otter in my last batch of American Lager (every one said it gave it a sweat taste and liked it).

I'm going to need a lot more recipes.

Don
I wonder if I'm still getting a gift certificate?

For those keeping track of this post your not going to believe this.
------------
(email today for Northern)
Don,

After careful deliberation we have decided it is your lucky day!

The cost of having those sacks returned to us would quickly negate their value (not to mention the hole we have already dug, errantly shipping them to you) so we have decided to offer them to you free of charge.

We hope that you may find some use for all that grain (perhaps you have a brew club that can benefit from our error!)

If for some reason you don't want to hold on to or get rid of that grain just let us know and we will take care of it, otherwise enjoy!

Cheers,
Northern Brewer, Ltd.
----------------

I can't turn this down. I don't deserve it but I will offer some of it to or local brew club. I might even get my membership waved this year.
If that's not lucky enough I took a closer look at the grain bags and they are all Simpson's Malt "Maris Otter". This has always been my base grain.

There's going to be several big batches of Old Ale, Barley Wine, Winter Warmers. I even used Maris Otter in my last batch of American Lager (every one said it gave it a sweat taste and liked it).

I'm going to need a lot more recipes.

Don

Yay!!!!!!! You do too deserve it!! You can keep it or divvie it up, what ever you want, with a clear conscience!

BTW, don, ole buddy, ole pal.............I hear you have some cheap MO just layin around........:D

Not only did things turn out very well indeed, but Northern Brewer just scored some major points among a discriminating target audience. I suspect they'll more than make up the lost grain & shipping costs among folks here. Everybody wins.

Chad

Back