Need help please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drizzt

Reaction score
This is the 3rd 10 gallon batch I am trying the first 2 are undrinkable. The first taste like a band aide thank you wild yeast. The second like a fire pit brick because of a bad online recipe. Please critique the recipe below.
Citra Amarillo Bomb

17 lbs Pale Malt 2 Row
5 lbs Golden Promise
1 lbs 1 oz Munich Malt - 10 L
13.8 oz Carafoam 2 (SRM)
12 oz Caramel Crystal Malt
10.8 oz Melanoid Malt Grain

.75 oz First Wort Hop Citra
.75 oz First Wort Hop Amarillo
.5 oz 30 mins Citra
.5 oz 30 mins Amarillo
.5 oz 15 mins Citra
.5 oz 15 mins Amarillo
Yeast nutriant and irish moss
15 mins

1 oz 10 mins Citra
1 oz 10 mins Amarillo
1 oz 5 mins Citra
1 oz 5 mins Amarillo
1 oz 1 min Citra
1 oz 1 min Amarillo

2 Packs Safale yeast

2.5 oz Dry Hop Citra
2.5 oz Dry Hop Amarillo

Mash Mash Out
156 168

OG 1.059
FG 1.01
ABV 6.8

Wow thats alot of stuff. How many gallons of wort are you trying to collect?

He mentioned 10 gallons.

That recipe will certainly be a hop bomb. Your recipe looks delicious to me.

How will you dry hop? Secondary? Keg? That will be a huge bag of soggy hops to pull out :)

I think it looks alright. I was thinking you might wanna try something easier till you have your set up dialed in. Also maybe if you really want that hop bomb to move your 5 min addition to a little after flame-out, to really get that aroma and flavor.

I have a 15 gallon 3500 watt 110 biab system generally what ever liquid I am not able to mash I sparge then squeeze the grains like they owe me a beer.

I figure I should collect 14 gallons of wort for boil off. If I end up just under 10 gallons no big deal. I have made a few of successful 5 gallon batches but I have failed twice at 10.

Are you able to cool your wort down pretty quickly? And have you thought about switching the yeast to liquid and making a big starter?

I have a 50 ft chiller and a 25 that I put in an ice bath plus I hope the ground water is pretty cold. I have not thought about the yeast though I am open to suggestions.

Save yourself a bunch of time and just cold press the juice out of your hops and drink that !

Just kidding! kinda, WoW that is a hop bomb!

What kind of beers are your favorite ? if you are like me and don't like dbl. or triple IPAs then u won't like that beer.

I would suggest picking your favorite beer and cloning that, lots of great recipes on this forum, read the feed back on the recipes, if there are 10 replies (or more) all saying everyone that has tried this beer loves it, then its probably a winner.

Hope this helps!

Good Luck and Cheers :mug:

Wile. I love hoppy beers like flower power, if I was to back off the hops and still wanted hoppy how much should I back off?

Wile. I love hoppy beers like flower power, if I was to back off the hops and still wanted hoppy how much should I back off?

Your really asking the wrong guy that question lol, I like malty, creamy, low hop beers.

I did help a friend make a coffee IPA recipe, its hoppy but drinkable (for my taste) he said it needed more hops, it had 3 oz of hops total in the recipe for a 5 gal batch.

If you like super hoppy then try it the way it is, if not maybe cut out 1/2 of the additions and it will still be hoppy.

Also something to consider is that every hop and batch of hops for that matter have different AA values that will change the hop bitterness of the recipe.

Sorry Im not more help !

Maybe someone with lots of IPA experience can jump in and help better than I can.

Cheers :mug:

I have a 15 gallon 3500 watt 110 biab system generally what ever liquid I am not able to mash I sparge then squeeze the grains like they owe me a beer.

Aren't you going to pick up a lot of unwanted tannins from squeezing the grains?

I brewed a 5 gallon version of this last weekend the only difference is I split the golden promise an 2 row 50/50. If anyone is still subscribed I will let you know how it turned out in 3 weeks.

Back