Too long in my bucket.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean from New Hampshire

Reaction score
I've read that keeping beer in a primary bucket for more than 7 days can be bad, its been almost 10 for me.

0912070730.jpg

If I don't transfer today, I won't be able to until Monday... and the White Labs people said not to rack until 10 days fermentation. Tastybrew calculated my OG at 1.056 and my FG at 1.015, but my FG is just under 1.030 and its been there for 2 days.

Sean

7 days is nothing. Too long is like 40 days...and I am sure there are plenty that would argue that even that is not too long. If I was you, I would pick that bad boy up, give it a good swirling, get the yeast back into suspension and check it again in 3-4 days.

Sean from New Hampshire said:
So agitating it AFTER fermentation starts won't hurt?

Sean

You dont want to introduce any oxygen in there, just put the yeast back in suspension. Odds are there wasn't enough healthy yeast cells and/or oxygen molecules dissolved in the wort. So maybe your yeast couldn't find all the sugars before it went to sleep. A gentle stir or 2 along the bottom will increase the chances of yeast finding still availiable sugars.

What you DON'T want to do is open that bucket up again for a photo op. That allows oxygen to invade and do it's skunky work on your beer. Close it , give her a gentle swirl, and let it be for another week until you have time for the clearing stage. Looks like a nice brown ale, though.:D

From the general consensus, even up to a month in primary wont hurt but anything after that you will start having issues with autolysis.

Back