Brew for warmer fermentation temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinb

Reaction score
I am planning my next brew. The catch is that I don't have a fermentation chamber. My basement is getting up to about 70 these days. What can I brew that likes warmer fermentation temps?

A Saison is perfect. The easiest to use saison yeast is 3711. Works in a wide range of temps and always ferments out low.

Some Belgians are good also. Just pitch the yeast in the mid 60's and then let it do it's thing. 3787 or 1214 are good choices.

Yep. Any Belgian will be good. Nothing else, for me at least.

Just brewed my first saison a few weeks back.

Big tubs are cheap. The swamp cooler is a good option, much better than nothing.

Avoid real big Belgians. At warmer fermentation temps some can get pretty hot and solventy.

A Saison is perfect. The easiest to use saison yeast is 3711. Works in a wide range of temps and always ferments out low.

Some Belgians are good also. Just pitch the yeast in the mid 60's and then let it do it's thing. 3787 or 1214 are good choices.

Agreed. I just brewed a hybrid Witbier/Saison with 3711. Due to the heat wave here (over 100 degrees all last week) fermentation temperatures stayed between 70 and 72 degrees, even with a swamp cooler. I could not keep enough ice in it to get temps into the 60's. When i tasted my gravity sample yesterday, I did not detect any diacetyl, fusel burn, or any other heat related off-flavors. I will still need to wait a few weeks to taste the finished/carbonated product, but it seems to be free from heat-induced defects. It also finished at 1.008, which is pretty low for an extract batch! I would have to say I am VERY happy with this yeast so far. :D

Agreed. I just brewed a hybrid Witbier/Saison with 3711. Due to the heat wave here (over 100 degrees all last week) fermentation temperatures stayed between 70 and 72 degrees, even with a swamp cooler. I could not keep enough ice in it to get temps into the 60's. When i tasted my gravity sample yesterday, I did not detect any diacetyl, fusel burn, or any other heat related off-flavors. I will still need to wait a few weeks to taste the finished/carbonated product, but it seems to be free from heat-induced defects. It also finished at 1.008, which is pretty low for an extract batch! I would have to say I am VERY happy with this yeast so far. :D

^I was going to say this. Swamp cooler. My air conditioned room is 70 all day and I keep my fermenter in a bucket with water and toss in a frozen lunch pack thing (?) once at night, once in the morning. Fermenting at 65 without a problem.

3711 is an interesting yeast. I have fermented it in the high 60's and gone as high as the low 80's with it. It does not seem to matter. I have never gotten fusels even when I ferment it hot. It always finishes low. I have had some of my extract batches finish as low as 1.004. and partial mash batches finish even lower. All grain, mashed low will finish at close to 1.000.

Just finished bottling an IPA I made with the Saison 3711 yeast, that was at around 78. I tasted it yesterday during the bottling, and it smelled and tasted great. Can't wait to see how the finished product tastes.

A room/basement that stays around 70F isn't that high. Especially for the average ale yeast. But the saison yeast does sound interesting. Just not sure what a 1.004 or so FG ale would be like. A bit too light perhaps?

I would second the thought that 70 isn't that high. 68 may be better but I wouldn't split hairs. I have been talking to a number of pro brewers lately and the almost all are fermenting ales between 68 and 72. If I had concerns I would stick to anything that was enhanced by a little ester flavor, Belgians and Wheats come to mind first but with the right yeast I would consider a British, maybe a Bitter. My final comment is from the bottom of my heart, COME ON SEPTEMBER, and hope the pipeline holds until then.

Can you reccomend the kit that you used?

Can you reccomend the kit that you used?

It was not a kit, but rather a simple recipe I came up with myself. The recipe goes like this...

4 pounds wheat DME
1 pound extra-light DME
1 pound clear Belgian Candi sugar

1 pound flaked wheat (steep)
0.5 pound flaked oats (steep)

2 ounces Saaz hops @60 minutes
0.5 ounces coriander @ 10 minutes
0.75 ounces sweet orange peel @ 10 minutes

Wyeast 3711 French Saison yeast.

OG 1.052
FG 1.008
18.5 IBU's