Negra Modelo Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm also interested in making a Negra Modelo clone. Anyone on the thread have any updates from the last couple of years?

The recipe from Clone Brews, both versions, look WAY too light when I put them in Beersmith. The version @jwalker1140 posted comes out at 9.7 SRM. The BeerSmith preview is just an estimate, but it doesn't look like the right ballpark... not even the right sport, really.

Here's a 2016 article with some good info on the style. It includes what looks like a pretty legit recipe for a lighter Vienna lager.
http://www.greatfermentations.com/wiener-lager-vienna-lager-recipe/

I'm also interested in making a Negra Modelo clone. Anyone on the thread have any updates from the last couple of years?

The recipe from Clone Brews, both versions, look WAY too light when I put them in Beersmith. The version @jwalker1140 posted comes out at 9.7 SRM. The BeerSmith preview is just an estimate, but it doesn't look like the right ballpark... not even the right sport, really.

Here's a 2016 article with some good info on the style. It includes what looks like a pretty legit recipe for a lighter Vienna lager.
http://www.greatfermentations.com/wiener-lager-vienna-lager-recipe/

I brewed a Vienna about 2 months ago. I used:

7.5 lbs Vienna
2 lbs Pilsner
2 oz Carafa Special II

My color on Beersmith was way lighter than the actual beer. In fact, I had 4oz of Carafa Special II in the recipe and my LHBS advised to knock it back to 2oz. The color of mine is very close to Negro Modelo, although I wasn't trying to clone it. I think NM actually uses some corn. I did not. I was very pleased with how it came out. The Carafa Special II is dehusked, which adds color without the roast character. I would not use Chocolate Malt in this. Also, search for Jamil's podcast in Vienna Lager. Very informative.

Hops were:

.55 oz Magnum @ 60
.5 oz Hallertau @ 15

30 ibu

hmm...Well Modleo, the brewery that makes Negra, calls it a Munich-sytle Dunkel so that's what I am going with.

Back