best beer you ever had from a can

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep the one and only problem with cans is im not sure that "bottle conditioning" is possible but im not sure

New Belgium claims that their fat tire cans are "can conditioned" with a dose of yeast. To be honest, I find the fat tire cans to taste much, much, better than their bottled or draft counterparts.

New Belgium claims that their fat tire cans are "can conditioned" with a dose of yeast. To be honest, I find the fat tire cans to taste much, much, better than their bottled or draft counterparts.

I don't know why you wouldn't be able to "can condition" if you had a canner. The cans have to be able to withstand the pressure, otherwise all cans would be flat. Plus if you overprimed a can, I would picture a hole just blowing out the side, as opposed to glass shards flying everywere with a bottle, sounds like a much safer option in my opinion(assuming you are setup to can)

I don't expect New Glarus to come in cans anytime soon. I asked last time I did the brewery tour and Dan Carrey doesn't like cans. They probably don't want to spend the money either. They just built a new brewery a few years ago.

I don't expect New Glarus to come in cans anytime soon. I asked last time I did the brewery tour and Dan Carrey doesn't like cans. They probably don't want to spend the money either. They just built a new brewery a few years ago.

Either that or just the snobbery the OP was pointing out is preventing them from doing so as well. While the folks on this forum may think this through, the berwery needs to sell beer to stay in business, and regardless of a cans superiority to a bottle, whether it is superior or not doesn't matter, the vast majority of folks who are buying craft brews, have it in their heads that bottles = better beer. Regadless of the facts, the breweries will sell what the majority of the demographic they are aiming for want, and for "craft" breweries, that will likely mean bottling for a long time to come.

I doubt staying with bottles is because of people who drink exclusively craft beer or people who post on these forums. I think staying with bottles would be aimed more at the people they are trying to bring over to craft beer. Those are the people who are less educated on beer in general. I will say that I think drinking beer out of a bottle does taste better than drinking beer out of a can. If you poured both in a glass I doubt you could tell the difference though.

Dan Carrey doesn't like cans. He and his wife own the brewery.

I had a can of Coke this week and it had one of the finger savers like the can in the OP.

I've had a nice number of Sly Fox beers and they are excellent as a rule, but I have to admit that for no rational reason, I start with a low expectations on what I'm going to get from a can. And if I'm buying a mixed six, a couple of cans don't "look right."

One huge advantage: they are a lot easier to fit in the refrigerator.

I just started working at a restaurant that is apparently only serving beer that comes in a can. I havent seen their list yet but it obviously must be limited.
Ive already googled it and found some interesting cans online.

So, what are the best beers you've had in a can?

Honestly mine is probably new castle brown ale.

note: i didnt ask whether you liked beer in a can, i didnt ask what you thought about the quality of canned beer, etc.

within the last week it would be from 21st amendment back in black and watermelon wheat but that I also hand hop ottin IPA which is a great IPA to find in a can, watch out for sierra nevada in a can.........

just came back from an island where there was no good beer option and hand to bring what I wanted, so I brought what would work on the beach, cans in other word and brought fat tire (wish I could get ranger though) hop ottin, back in black and watermelon wheat which turned out to be a great selection.

I've done side-by-sides, canned and draft. Once it is poured into a glass, you can't tell. Buying small quantities of labeled cans is a problem. With bottles, you just slap a label on.

I've done side-by-sides, canned and draft. Once it is poured into a glass, you can't tell. Buying small quantities of labeled cans is a problem. With bottles, you just slap a label on.

It might be buried in this thread somewhere (LOL it is my own thread, but hasn't been active for almost a year so cut me some slack :D ) but many empty can distributors (not the proper term) lowered their minimum orders which is why you are seeing a large increase in smaller breweries being able to can!

There's no doubt that you drink with your eyes, and that begins with the package and pour. Stigma is deep with packaging. Seen wine in a can lately?

I think wine is going through a similar thing along the lines of shedding packaging stigma. The whole "no more cork" in sealing the bottles thing. Some people are switching to synthetic cork, and some are switching to screw tops.

21st amendment hop crisis.. IIPA oak aged!!!!!!!! it doesn't get any better coming from a can. Great Cabrewing companion!

Surly Brewing Co. from MN, Southern Star (TX), and Maui Brewing Co. all make some pretty fantastic brews - all of them use cans.

The 21A Brew free or die was awesome! I was lucky enough to get some on a trip up to GA last month. Canned beer is where its' at

+1 on the Half Acre Daisy Cutter. Not just the best beer in a can. One of the best beers period.

Twin Lakes (Greenville, DE) Pale Ale

Aside from getting bottles for homebrew, I have no interest in bottled beer, All else being equal.

Sly Fox's Hefeweizen is pretty good - though a bit hoppy for a hefe. Boddington's or Young's Double Chocolate Stout would be my top picks.

local brewery here in Indy, Sun King, only uses cans and kegs. Osiris Pale Ale, if you ever have a chance to try it, it's a great beer

Back