S'mores Sweet Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheWeeb

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Partial Mash
Yeast
Wyeast Irish Ale 1084
Yeast Starter
None
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
None
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21 @ 62
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
None
Additional Fermentation
None
Tasting Notes
you are sitting at a campfire, toasting a marshmallow on the fire to make a s\'more
% Weight Grain Type
29.3% 3 lbs Dark Liquid Extract
9.8% 1 lbs Oats, Flaked
9.8% 1 lbs Briess Chocolate 350 L
9.8% 1 lbs Wheat Dry Extract
9.8% 1 lbs Biscuit Malt
9.8% 1 lbs Honey
7.3% 12 oz Chocolate Syrup
4.9% 8 oz Corn Syrup
4.9% 8 oz Brown Sugar, Light
4.9% 8 oz Smoked Malt

1 oz Willamette Boil Pellet 5.50 60 mins
1 oz Chinook Boil Pellet 13.00 10 mins

Recipe Notes: Place all grains in a nylon or linen bag and mash in 2.5 gallons of 155 degree water for 30 minutes. While this is going on, caramelize to the point of scorching the brown sugar and corn syrup in a separate pan. Add this caramelized mix to the pot with additional water to the 3 gallon mark and bring to a boil. Follow recipe for additions, cool and top off to 5 gallons. Pitched at 70 and brought down to 62 degrees in the mini-fridge. It was recommended to ferment low and slow to prevent fruity esters. At bottling, bring two cups of water to a boil. Remove from heat, add 2 tsp vanilla extract and 6 oz of honey for carbonation. Bottle condition for at least 21 days, longer if possible.

This recipe grew out of basically a barstool challenge to recreate the flavors of campfire s'mores in a brew. The scorched corn syrup mixture accurately replicates a toasted marshmallow, the original Hershey's syrup the chocolate bar of the same name, and of course the oats, wheat, and biscuit for the graham crackers. I have not bottle this yet, but will update with tasting notes as soon as it is ready. The gravity sample I took today seems pretty close to what I was shooting for. Enjoy!
:mug:

I guess my reply'll be a little "too little too late" but Equinox Brewing in Fort Collins has a s'mores porter on tap right no that's simply called "S'morter". It's not bad, a very slight marshmallow-y and chocolatey finish.

Not sure how often (if ever) you make it up to the fort, but it's worth checking out.

I guess my reply'll be a little "too little too late" but Equinox Brewing in Fort Collins has a s'mores porter on tap right no that's simply called "S'morter". It's not bad, a very slight marshmallow-y and chocolatey finish.

Not sure how often (if ever) you make it up to the fort, but it's worth checking out.

Thanks for the tip, I have not heard of nor tried anything from Equinox. I must get up there! Just yesterday I had the "Graham Cracker Porter" from the new (just opened Friday) Denver Beer Co.; another attempt at a s'mores that tasted mostly of chocolate. Good, but lacking the other flavors I am shooting for. Bottling mine on Tuesday . . .

Ive ben trying to get a good sweet stout going on and it seems to turn out to stringent...I am going to be waiting on your tasting notes very patently....ish:). I like the Dans double chocolate in the can the best which is supposed to be drought I think.

I can't wait to hear how this tastes. Im a huge stout fan and love all the flavors people are trying

Just bottled this last night, used 4.5 oz of brown sugar and 1.5 oz of molasses as priming (instead of the honey), along with the vanilla extract. FG 1.020, sample tasted really good, no one flavor was dominant. I am interested in those who have more stout brewing experience to share what flavors come out and which ones subside as the beer ages in the bottle. I split the batch into some 12 oz and 22 oz bombers for more immediate consumption, and 1 liter flip tops for longer aging.

Here it is, one week in the bottle, good - albeit light - carbonation that I know will improve with a few more weeks. The flavors, I think I nailed them; the burned sugar and vanilla of the roasted marshmallow, chocolate, and a toast that is perhaps a bit more like wheat toast vs. graham; need to get this in front of a few others to explore and comment on. It is, in my humble opinion, one of the best tasting sweet stouts I have ever had; would like to find a competition for certified review, however. We all know that our own brews are the best!

smoresstout.jpg

I just ordered a double chocolate stout kit. I think after that, this will be my next stout.

Is it overly sweet or is this something you can have a few of? Basically, is 5 gallons too much?

I don't know how well this would work but how about adding cinnamon and honey at some point. Most graham crackers have a touch of each so that might give it more a sweet graham cracker flavor over just a wheat flavor.

I don't know how well this would work but how about adding cinnamon and honey at some point. Most graham crackers have a touch of each so that might give it more a sweet graham cracker flavor over just a wheat flavor.

I like this idea for sure!

As for the sweetness and having a few, good question. I need to get it in front of some others for a better take on this, as I love the super hops and also the really sweet stuff, and would have several of each extreme in a sitting while others might stop at one. I do not have the BJCP-trained taste buds to make an unbiased call....

If you get to all grain, consider mashing in a box or two of real Graham crackers. The thread on slim's Graham cracker ale is all about it. I have planned to try a s'mores sweet stout too based on his thread. I may make a hybrid of both. :)

just poured another glass of this and added 1/2 ounce of Red Stag, that cherry boosted version of Jim Beam. Oh my..... black forest cake soaked in bourbon! the next one must be a drier chocolate cherry bourbon stout, with maybe a full bottle of Red Stag in the secondary and basing it on a more simple dry stout recipe.

Is there anything that you would change with this recipe? Has anyone else tried it and given you feedback. I would like to brew a stout next and this one sounds yummy

I'm excited to try the s'mores recipe next! I did an impromptu version of you Pumpkin Porter last night. Fingers crossed!

Sorry to dig up such an old post, but I'm gathering the supplies to make this recipe next. Being only my second 'from recipe' brew, I had a few questions about the instructions.

My question is when do we add the Chocolate Syrup? Should that go in at start of boil? What about the Honey? 1lbs of Honey is 16oz, yet 6oz is used for bottle conditioning. Am I adding 1lb of honey into my wort (and if so, where, assuming at start of boil to break it down) or am I tossing in 10oz of honey in my wort and saving 6oz for bottling?

Thanks!

Seeing this thread pop up in my queue makes me want to brew it again! I would add the syrup and honey - all 16 oz - at flame-out. Post how it turns out!

Thanks John, I'll give that a shot. I have everything ready to go and will probably brew early next week. I'm looking forward to having this aged up perfectly in bottles for fall camping season.

-John

Seeing this thread pop up in my queue makes me want to brew it again! I would add the syrup and honey - all 16 oz - at flame-out. Post how it turns out!

was wondering if any one tried adding syrups at flameout then more to bottle carb was thinking of trying that when i brew this on sunday.Also is there another acceptable wyeast yeast like american ale 1056 if my lhbs does not have 1084?Any pointers or tips would help very much.thanks guys

% Weight Grain Type
29.3% 3 lbs Dark Liquid Extract
9.8% 1 lbs Oats, Flaked
9.8% 1 lbs Briess Chocolate 350 L
9.8% 1 lbs Wheat Dry Extract
9.8% 1 lbs Biscuit Malt
9.8% 1 lbs Honey
7.3% 12 oz Chocolate Syrup
4.9% 8 oz Corn Syrup
4.9% 8 oz Brown Sugar, Light
4.9% 8 oz Smoked Malt

1 oz Willamette Boil Pellet 5.50 60 mins
1 oz Chinook Boil Pellet 13.00 10 mins

Recipe Notes: Place all grains in a nylon or linen bag and mash in 2.5 gallons of 155 degree water for 30 minutes. While this is going on, caramelize to the point of scorching the brown sugar and corn syrup in a separate pan. Add this caramelized mix to the pot with additional water to the 3 gallon mark and bring to a boil. Follow recipe for additions, cool and top off to 5 gallons. Pitched at 70 and brought down to 62 degrees in the mini-fridge. It was recommended to ferment low and slow to prevent fruity esters. At bottling, bring two cups of water to a boil. Remove from heat, add 2 tsp vanilla extract and 6 oz of honey for carbonation. Bottle condition for at least 21 days, longer if possible.

This recipe grew out of basically a barstool challenge to recreate the flavors of campfire s'mores in a brew. The scorched corn syrup mixture accurately replicates a toasted marshmallow, the original Hershey's syrup the chocolate bar of the same name, and of course the oats, wheat, and biscuit for the graham crackers. I have not bottle this yet, but will update with tasting notes as soon as it is ready. The gravity sample I took today seems pretty close to what I was shooting for. Enjoy!

That recipe though:D, I wonder how strong the toasted marshmallow character came out, maybe add in a vanilla bean or two to boost up a hint of vanilla to the toasted character.

Brewed a modified version of this on 23 JUL 17.

OG 1.060
FG 1.019
5.3% ABV
IBU 34.17
SRM (morey) 44.52
5gal batch size

4.5lb Rahr 2 row
1.124lb Crisp Pale Chocolate
0.75lb Belgian Chateau
0.75lb Flaked Oats
0.5lb Weyermann Smoked
0.75lb Chocolate Wheat
0.25lb Blackprinz

Mashed 152f for 60min

1oz Willamette Pellet 4.5AA (17.5IBU) 60 min
1oz Chinook Pellet 13AA (16.7IBU) 10 min

1 box graham cracker (crushed, whatever brand had lowest fat content) 10 min
16 oz chocolate syrup 0min
1lb maltodextrin 0min
1lb dark brown sugar 0min
0.5lb honey 0min
2 vanilla beans (scraped) 0 min

Inland Island Dublin Ale INIS301 2L starter

Pitched at 67f

Fermented at 64f for 21 days, bottled with priming sugar to 2.1 vol CO2.

Tasting notes: Smoke/roast flavor dominates at first, but then sweetness of maltodextrin comes through. Very little perceived chocolate. Next iteration I will drop down the smoked malt and see what happens. Also going to omit the vanilla beans. So far people have really enjoyed it, but I think the smoke overpowers the other flavors I want to come through.

Back