Another fermentation chamber build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, here's a couple shots of the chamber, in action:

b196e025.jpg

You can see I've placed an old hutch up on top of the chamber, just to give me a little more storage space above the thing. Also in the shot you see my humidor (well stocked!) and on the right side, sitting on top of the chamber is the gray box that is my tem controller

Inside:
31de4cfe.jpg

On the right is a Wiezenbock I brewed today (second AG brew - woohoo!), further back you can just make out the pumpkin ale I brewed about 3 weeks ago (first AG brew).

The thing is working out great so far... If anything, the only complaint I've got is that one of the door latches sticks and makes it hard to get in and out of the chamber. That latch is already shimmed out to where it should be less of a problem, though I might have to stick another washer or two in there for some additional shimming.

At first glance, your fermentation chamber looked like a washer dryer set.
Its... the laundry room.

Weizenbock - yum. How long are you going to age that ? What recipe did you use ?

I'm using Jamil's Trick or Treat Wiezenbock recipe from Brewing Classic Styles. Not sure how long I _should_ be aging it, to be honest... It's currently fermenting like crazy - by the time I came down this morning, it was blowing off something fierce (yay blow-off tybe!). So it's definitely healthy so far!

It's been a while, but I do have one new update to report on this build out...

I've now fermented out a pair of good ales and a lager in this chamber, and it performed admirably where all that was needed was cooling.

I've got a robust porter in there right now, and it needs to ferment a little warmer than my basement temps right now. So, I picked up a reptile heater and plugged it into an old lamp I had hanging around, then plugged that into the hot side of my ebay temp controller.

I'm pleased to report that this seems to be working perfectly! I had let the fermenting beer sit, not realizing that the temps were too cool. It had settled down to about 62 or 63, when the yeast I used called for 68-73. Once the heating element was introduced, it took a couple hours to warm the fermenter up sufficiently. I believe I did overshoot the temps a bit and the fridge kicked in as designed. I'm not sure exactly how much the two overshot before finding equilibrium (I didn't really feel like sitting down and watching my chamber for hours last night!), but when I checked this morning it was happily sitting at exactly my configured temperature. I've got it set to a tolerance of .5C, and it's happily sitting right in there, with no apparent tug-of-war between heating and cooling elements.

I am quite pleased. ;)

Back