How long to condition a wheat beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mk010101

Reaction score
I brewed up a German Wheat beer this weekend. I was initially not planning on putting it in a secondary, but since I will have the secondary free, I might as well. So it may end up in secondary for 2 weeks or more. Anyway, I have read that wheat beers should be enjoyed while they are young. I am curious how long anyone has let their beer condition? When was it at it's prime and then start declining?

In my opinion wheat beers lose their spicy/clove/banana flavor a month or so after carbonation. I keep my wheat beers in my secondary for a week TOPS, go straight to the kegs, force carbonate, wait 24 hours and dive in.

In my minimal exparience with Wheats, I've found that they don't improve with age - mine was at its best at about a month in the bottle.

I agree with the others, wheats are excellent when drank young and fresh. They seem to lose a lot of their character when aged. I keg mine and start drinking them as soon as they are carbonated. Excellent flavor, and just right.

Back