Nottingham & Safale 05

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fretsforlife

Reaction score
I brewed my first 10 gallon batch a coupe days ago. It was Jamil's Reprobate American Stout, and it was supposed to have an O.G. of 1.073. My plan was to rehydrate a packet of Notty and a packet of Safale 05, and split it into two 5 gallon batches. My mash ton was nearly overflowing, but I managed to shut the lid with no headspace, and mashed at around 150º-154º (i had thermometer issues).

After the boil was done, my O.G. was 1.084! I have no idea why, --I'm guessing super high efficiency-- but i was pretty surprised. I knew by pitching one packet each @ 1.073, i was under-pitching to begin with, but 1.084?! I figured my yeast wouldn't stand a chance, or I'd have all kinds of esters in the end. On the other hand, these 2 yeasts have always proven to be heavyweights when I've used them in the past. The 05 has a 4 inch krausen and is chugging like mad, while the Nottingham, well, I had to pull the airlock off and rig a blow-off.

My question is, what's the highest gravity that you've had with a single packet of either of these yeasts, and how did it turn out?

You'll be fine. Packets have a very large amount of yeast. I consistently brew beers around this gravity and only pitch one packet of these yeasts, and they're just fine.

By the way, it's great you're experimenting like this. Report back, please! If you can, record both ambient and fermenter temps.

Good to know, thanks! I'll let you know how they turn out. Right now, I have both vessels fermenting in an area that's a constant 68º F during the day and 65º F during the night.

ya im interested what people say, im thinking about going back to just dry because my brewdays are not usually to planned and its hard to schedule a starter that way

Agree with previous. I used a single pack of the 05 on a 5 gal 10% double IPA and it came out great. The Notty will eat through anything. I have done these two side by side several times with similar fermentation results as you are seeing. The Notty will end up drier, and will be perceived as more bitter.

Wait, I agree that you'll be fine. I prefer the 05 to Nottingham ( for American style beers at least).
Still getting used to this mobile app.

Well this certainly puts my mind at ease a little. I love the fact that I can do 10 gallon batches now because it'll give me the opportunity to try many side by side comparisons like this.

I don't like splitting 10 gallons with different yeasts. It's like favoring one child over another and then you have to decide which one you like better.:D

I've used 05 in higher gravity brews with great results.

Back