Building a system and need equipment advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funkybuddha

Reaction score
I am building a decent sized system and am only a few parts away from getting started. I was hoping someone here might be able to help me out. I plan on using built in thermometers but would prefer to not use the weldless kind. What do I need to weld onto the kettle in order to be able to remove the thermometer for cleaning?

I was also told that tri-clamps are alot easier to use. What are the best types and where might I be able to find them. I am completely clueless about these, so any information on them would be great.

The final piece of advice is for using an oxygen diffuser? Does it really help? Is there a better way to get the oxygen to the yeast?

Any help on any of these topics would be hugely appreciated!

Cheers,

Ryan

I really dont think you need to remove the thermometers for cleaning, what is the point, clean around them. Unless there in the fermenters.
What size system are you building?
Cheers
Jay

I guess I am not so worried about removing them as I am the grooves and threads on the insides gathering bacteria. I have someone welding so I thought I might as well have them weld a fitting on. Just not sure what size or what I need.

Building a system of 3 55 gallon drums. Starting a small brew pub in Florida.

Ryan

If you are doing commercial I wouldn't even think about anything other than triclover. You can get them in all the sizes you want. Calculate your volumes and times for pumping and go from there. You'll need to pump at a very minimum 7-10 gallons a minute
I am going off memory here as I am not at the brewery.
Cheers
Jay

Compression fittings in a standard 1/2 inch coupler would work well for a digital temperature probe. Most people go with something like a blichman that is analog but threads directly into the 1/2 inch welded coupler.

If it's in your mash tun, HLT or brew kettle there really isn't a ton of worry about cleaning except for general cleaning to rid it of crud. Any bacterial/mold contamination will be killed during the boil from any of these three tanks.

Tri clamps are nice from what I've seen and they would seem to be easier to me for tank transfers and transfers to a fermentor. I don't think you are suggesting using them for your thermometers but I'm not sure. Swagman and brewershardware.com both sell them on here and appear to be great vendors.

Back