Separate set up equipment for brewing lambics?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoogieBrandBooze

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm about to start on my first lambic which is at once exciting and somewhat frightening. Upon speaking with my LHBS one person suggested that whatever equipment I use to make it I should not use for regular brews again. His rationale was that the bacteria are extremely hard to get rid of and the chances are that at least some will stick around no matter what sanitation process I use. Is this a reasonable? I mean, I know with a lambic I'm purposefully introducing things that would ruin a typical beer but to go to the point of keeping another set up around just for lambics? Is the bacteria really that persistent? I'm using the Wyeast Belgian Lambic Blend 3278.

You are probably fine, but I'm starting to separate some stuff between clean and funky just in case. Mostly just stoppers and other cheap stuff. Glass carboys should be fine, none of your main equipment probably comes in contact with it, so really maybe only a separate bottling bucket/wand, airlocks, tubing, and autosiphon would be needed if you are worried about it.

I don't think any of the wild yeast or bacteria are much harder to kill off, just their presence is more noticeable if you don't sanitize properly, but I could be wrong on that.

Just make sure you sanitize well. I sanitize twice, once with bleach and once with star san. I've never had a problem with glass carboys, and I've used old tubing and tossed it afterwards.

make that clean AND sanitize well. I would go for a hot PBW soak on all cold side equipment used for wild and regular beer. Follow that up with a good sanitizer and store sanitized. Then, hit it with a hot rinse and more sanitizer when you are ready to use.

Back