hot break question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coolkid102938

Reaction score
ive brewed two batches of beer so far and i haven't noticed a hot break in either of them. These were both malt extract batches and i think that i read somewhere that when using extract kits the hot break has already occured when the extract was manufactured. just wondering if this was true?

Thanks

Yep. Hot break occurs when the wort is boiled. Since extract has already been boiled, the hot break has already been taken care of.

WTF is the hot break then? I've brewed several extract batches and had violent foamy boil-overs every time until I learned to take it off the burner until it went away. I thought that was the hot break.

WTF is the hot break then? I've brewed several extract batches and had violent foamy boil-overs every time until I learned to take it off the burner until it went away. I thought that was the hot break.

Nope. The hot break looks like egg drop soup which then breaks up during the boil. Boil overs are because of foam generating proteins that are in both all grain and extract worts.

GT

Palmer says to expect hot break when boiling extract. I haven't seen any hot break material in my extract brews, just foam rising when it reaches the boil.

Back